Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:49:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)N9ne, a gentlemanly stroll through hell (2 player split screen zelda adventure)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: N9ne, a gentlemanly stroll through hell (2 player split screen zelda adventure)  (Read 3249 times)
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »

Download demo - http://www.mediafire.com/?tohb7c7wt00osof

Controls
                            Player 1                       Player 2
Movement       Arrow keys                    WASD
Attack       M                                    G
Two gentlemen go on a stroll through the nine layers of hell. The gameplay is reminiscent of games from the zelda series, but two player and split screen. At times, players are forced to cooperate with each other to solve puzzles or defeat bosses, but for the most part, the players are allowed to explore each level individually and find the most loot.

The versus aspect comes in the level weapon idea. In each level, there is one special weapon that will be awarded to the player with the least deaths (lives are infinite). This special weapon will be especially useful for the next level, and whoever gets it will clearly have an advantage in the next stage. However, the players can attack and kill each other, as well as jeopardize each others journey (pushing them into holes, trapping them in a room with difficult enemies, etc). As a result, there will be a fair amount of teammate killing as each player attempts to come out on top. I hope that the team killing will eventually be resolved by physical combat in real life as one player becomes too frustrated with the other player killing them. It's for this reason that the game is only going to have local multiplayer.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:00:01 AM by Tadakuni Amano » Logged

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »

Stop teasing us with your gentlemanly spriteings! My Word!

Now you have posted up some info about the game, i can say that it sounds very interesting! Looking forward to trying this out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 11:31:23 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 02:23:58 PM »

This sounds and looks absolutely, positively, SCRUMPTIOUS. My good chaps, I feel you have a lot of expectations to live up to!
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:26:37 PM »

Thank you!

Just a quick update! All the basic gameplay aspects are complete. Now moving on to enemies.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

I'm not too familiar with level design for flip-screen exploration games such as these, so if anyone would be willing to collaborate with me to help with level design I would be very grateful!

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 02:51:35 PM »

Looks spiffing!

The "9" in place of the "i" tricked me for a bit, until I realised you were making fun of that movie "Se7en". (Maybe "nIXne"? Roman numerals / slient X? No, that would probably smother the reference entirely.) Good show!
Mitiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »

i still read eet as nine ^^

Play League Of Legends for free!
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »

Added a tech demo to the first post which shows basically all the game aspects minus enemies and some puzzle elements. Also got doors to work!

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »

Just tried the demo! Looks good for now! I tried pushing the block from both sides... The right gentleman is stronger  Cheesy
Waiting for more! Grin
Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »

Just tried the demo! Looks good for now! I tried pushing the block from both sides... The right gentleman is stronger  Cheesy
Waiting for more! Grin
Thank you!

Updates -
Added some generic enemies. Snakes, bats, and imps.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
pgil
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:10:57 AM »

Tried the demo, looks great so far. The split-screen didn't work for me, though. I only see the left side, which follows Player 2.

This kind of reminds me of

Tadakuni Amano
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 07:56:36 PM »

Although I have two levels completed, I don't think that I will be entering this game into the competition. Although a good portion of the game is programmed, the game artist is having trouble juggling spriting and schoolwork, so the completed product will probably be completed several months from now.

<- Katana ZERO devlog
@askiisoft
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic