Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:07:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDimension Jump [puzzle platformer]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dimension Jump [puzzle platformer]  (Read 2391 times)
Hach-Que
Level 1

a radical dame who likes to make games

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »

Oh yeah, my first game release in what must be over a year.  I present:

Dimension Jump

Music: From the Newground Audio Portal; see game for full credits.
Everything Else: James Rhodes

Dimension Jump is an incredibly difficult puzzle platformer (although the earlier levels are a little easy).  I'm not going to ruin the game for you by explaining everything the game uses in it's puzzles, but it has over 60 levels, the later of which probably break a few health and safety laws due to their effect of inducing RSI in whoever is playing them.  Evil

Anyway, you awesome people can go download and play it over at GameJolt.

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:06:53 AM »

No replies so far for this great game?

I got totaly pulled in and I had to do my best to get away and concentrate on my work.
Simple design but challanging puzzle game is what I love here.

Can't wait to sit down and play more and maybe even finish Wink

One critic though - Hmm, I liked the level selection screen overall but sometimes you press space too many times quickly and you fall down deeply and then you need to climb all the way up.

snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 07:49:41 AM »

This game is actually really fun. The lag is annoying, but it's improved by reducing the program priority back to normal. (That's right, increasing program priority makes lag worse, because it sucks cycles from the keyboard and makes the game slow to respond to my input). The level selector is odd; a more traditional interface might have been better. The graphics look very cheap at first sight, even though they're not.

Basically: A lot of small niggles in the first minute or so. That might be why this game isn't played very much; because it looks boring at first sight. It's actually really good. Well done, Hach-Que.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:39 AM »

I think difficulty curve is not the best at start.
After you complete tutorials maps, you start with easy ones and first one or two are harder than next few. Well, maybe it only works that way for my brains Wink

Hach-Que
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »

This game is actually really fun. The lag is annoying, but it's improved by reducing the program priority back to normal. (That's right, increasing program priority makes lag worse, because it sucks cycles from the keyboard and makes the game slow to respond to my input). The level selector is odd; a more traditional interface might have been better. The graphics look very cheap at first sight, even though they're not.

Yeah, some computers seem to fair worse than others when it comes to the level select in terms of performance.  Unfortunately, this is because I had to do the collision / solidity checking manually in this game due to the limitation of Game Maker's built-in "solid" system, which doesn't work when you're alternating between two different versions of the level Wink

I've optimized everything to the nth-degree after getting feedback about this, so it's practically running as fast it will ever run.  There's not much else I can do about it I'm afraid Sad

Zack
Level 0

i make stuff with stuff.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:19:50 AM »

Reminded me of Time Fukc. That's not a bad thing. It was fun, but rather difficult. I'll have to play more later. Nice work. Smiley
pgil
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:39:28 PM »

I get about 15 fps on the level-select screen, but everything is fine in the actual levels. What are you doing differently there?
Hach-Que
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:25:41 PM »

Actually it's just because there's more solid / empty boundaries than normally exist in levels due to the column-based layout.  In addition, there's the solids which alternate between realities.

Basically it comes down to the fact that the collision checking is done manually with all instances that inherit par_solid, and due to the layout the level select screen has considerably more solid instances than other levels.  So there's just more instances for the collision checking to run through, and hence, it's slower.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic