Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:33:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)High Score
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: High Score  (Read 1636 times)
grahamroberts
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:06:17 AM »

The unique thing about this comp is I imagine lots of people play the games on their own, so I don't want to make a multiplayer game that requires several people playing at the same time. Maybe I'm missing the whole point of the comp?!

I was thinking of some kind of chess variation, where each user could log on for a while and affect the game world for the other players, maybe digging for treasure, leaving bombs. so I'd only need to store the game state in a file.

My new idea is just to have the game be a high score table that you literally have to get to the top of. Maybe in a rocket or a hot air balloon, when you land at a level and put in your name, you can put obstacles in your name, so that anyone trying to fly past it will be blown up maybe!? With people who didn't make it ending up at the bottom, maybe in a graveyard?!

I suppose it could be a series of steps, or a tower...
People could leave stuff on the stairs along with their name...

I'm going to come up with some prototype and be back in a week...

I might have to store ip addresses so people can only have one turn to stop cheats.
LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »

I think this is the first asynchronous game idea I've seen proposed.  Could be very interesting.  Good luck, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »

As long as your game is focused on competition between human players, how that plays out is up to you. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »

You could have it so that only the person who reaches the very top gets to add their name... and then the actual letters of their name become the next level up.  But each player could still add traps and enemies on the way up, or shoot away pieces of the letters to proceed, or whatnot, so that each consecutive player is climbing up a tower of half-destroyed, booby-trapped names to try and add theirs to the very top...
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:12 PM »

This idea is absolutely genius... I'm quite literally astounded at how amazing this idea is. I really can't describe how cool this would be to see.

Make it happen.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic