Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:05:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)0Space [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: 0Space [Finished]  (Read 64171 times)
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2011, 10:21:31 PM »

Oh wow, this is insane! LOVE IT!

The voice recording caught me off guard but it was a great addition; didn't even know it was being added and then I heard myself and my friend playing.

We just played 2 player and were only going to try the game and leave a quick review, but we played it for 20 minutes easily. The controls are tricky to get at first but its somewhat intuitive after a while. I didn't read the manual at all, just the controls.

I'd love to see online for this, but it works fine for local too. I can see this being a ton of fun at an arcade cabinet.

One thing I didn't like was the open air space levels, as I found that I couldn't get back to the level easy enough before I'd hit the world bounds and die. The most fun we had was on the first level or others that were contained.

It took a while to realize you could hold jump... was there similar functionality for grenades?

Anyway, love everything about the game. The presentation is spot on and the style is consistent throughout. I'll be playing this at LAN parties in the future for sure. If I may ask, what did you code this in? And what program for the sprites?

Nicely done!  Beer!

teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 12:46:27 AM »

I made the game in Game Maker, and I used my program Pixothello to make the graphics.

I hope to add netplay eventually, but I am completely unexperienced with that sort of thing.

I just uploaded another version of the game that fixes some strange joystick bug.

Thanks for playing!
If you happen to be at GDC, I would be happy to play the game with you. Just look for a dude with frizzy brown hair and glasses.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 07:57:25 AM »

I played this with another person today, it's extremely fun. It works very well.
The replay feature adds to the fun too, as you can show others your fight afterwards.

The graphical style is awesome too.

I can't believe this was done in GM! My Word!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 12:37:16 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Graphics and gameplay are lovely. Agreeing with the notion that indoor levels are more fun.

Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Gameflow was pretty horrible though. It is very easy to die (especially in maps with lava), and if you are playing a 2player match, the game can be over in a matter of seconds. Then follows more time than you actually spent playing waiting for the replay to load, which then seems to not represent the action at all? Or is it a presaved replay maybe?

At any rate, it would be lovely to turn off replay-recording altogether to save time, and get some respawns up in this. Right now, the foundation is fantastic but the enjoyment is completely hindered by the wait for replays and the lack or respawns.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2011, 03:18:50 PM »

Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Gameflow was pretty horrible though. It is very easy to die (especially in maps with lava), and if you are playing a 2player match, the game can be over in a matter of seconds. Then follows more time than you actually spent playing waiting for the replay to load, which then seems to not represent the action at all? Or is it a presaved replay maybe?

At any rate, it would be lovely to turn off replay-recording altogether to save time, and get some respawns up in this. Right now, the foundation is fantastic but the enjoyment is completely hindered by the wait for replays and the lack or respawns.

I think your game has gone screwy. Replays take hardly any time at all, and the replay after a game should always be the replay of the game you have just played.

Try renaming your controls file. That fixed a problem i was having.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2011, 03:51:31 PM »

I think your game has gone screwy. Replays take hardly any time at all, and the replay after a game should always be the replay of the game you have just played.

Try renaming your controls file. That fixed a problem i was having.
Well, I even deleted the game and freshly unzipped the game again and stuff, same results. I'll keep trying though.

At any rate, even with fast replays(should I get it to work), this still leaves the matter of matches ending in seconds before anyone even figured out what he is doing. If possible, I'd love to see a game type with respawns. I can already see the arena getting more and more cluttered with the gibs of dead players...  Beer!
Nouveau303
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »

We played many rounds of this tonight. After some initial floundering (particularly on the open spacey levels) we got used to it and had alot of fun. It's really satisfying getting fly-by knife kills and lucky long range shots with the gun. I love the replays, parrying with the knife is really cool and you can shoot grenades to detonate them? Awesome.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

I'm getting weird messages during the game and a black square instead of the character and the explosions (I think it's not doing drawing transparent sprites). I'm running windows 7 and I have tried most of the compatibility mode options with no change. Here is the error that pops up when starting the game and before some of the levels.

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object Screen:

Error reading real.

The game looks stunning and, from what I've been able to try, plays amazingly. I hope you get these issues sorted out soon!

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

I'm getting weird messages during the game and a black square instead of the character and the explosions (I think it's not doing drawing transparent sprites). I'm running windows 7 and I have tried most of the compatibility mode options with no change. Here is the error that pops up when starting the game and before some of the levels.

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object Screen:

Error reading real.

The game looks stunning and, from what I've been able to try, plays amazingly. I hope you get these issues sorted out soon!

I'm guessing your video card doesn't like GM surfaces. Can you run other GM games?

|
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2011, 06:25:57 AM »

I'm guessing your video card doesn't like GM surfaces. Can you run other GM games?

It's a pretty new computer and I never had any problems with other games, but I don't think I ever play a GM game with the SDL.dll.

Shard
Level 0

The False TimesBearer

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2011, 08:33:18 PM »

Online play is a great idea, but would it also be possible to add AI opponents?

Straight from the MKFR!
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2011, 03:00:33 PM »

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object Screen:

Error reading real.

Eep, that's a Game Maker issue that pops up in locales where the comma is the decimal separator.  I'll tell Tekno about it.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
PlayMeTape
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2011, 04:42:46 AM »

Beau this game is so gooood! I freaking love it, and all my friends do as well.

Replays don't work on my computer though. At the start all the characters fire their guns automatically and that seems to ruin the rest of the playback as the first actual shot fired sometimes becomes a knife thrust.

Other then that this is ace, would love to be able to turn on a no guns mode.

Thank you! Also: good luck monetizing this shit!
Shard
Level 0

The False TimesBearer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

How do you set up a gamepad to work?

Straight from the MKFR!
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »

You press enter / shoot on the Config, then press the button on the joystick.
I'm currently working to make the menus clearer and config easier.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2011, 09:30:18 PM »

Everything works so well in this game.  Controlling how hard I jumped, running to give myself spin after a jump, using the rifle to correct trajectory and save myself from falling into space or lava, that ridiculously perfect reload time.

The kills are so good, every round is so damn intense!  Getting that knife kill after both of us missed with our single shot.  The shot from off screen that took off my head as I'm floating towards a wall.  Getting that perfect shot as both of us sail past each other.  That lucky grenade that showed up right above my head.

The replays make it so fucking satisfying.

So badass.  My friend and I spent more than an hour playing this.

This is my new favorite game-to-play-drunk.

Now I just want more maps and four player support.

Out of curiosity, and without having the game on the computer I'm on, are replays restricted to the last round played, or are they saved from each round?
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2011, 10:06:28 PM »

It does have 4 player support. You can set the number of players in the options.

You can save replays, although I haven't done it yet so I don't know how it works. There are instructions in a readme file.

Also, I can't get my 360 controller to work with this game.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »

Finally got to play this with someone else, and it's awesome. There's so much strategy in perfectly launching off a wall and tossing a grenade at the perfect angle to bounce off two walls so that you can shoot it and have it explode and kill the other player.

Shard
Level 0

The False TimesBearer

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 03:39:47 PM »

I noticed a bug: when you change the amount of rounds on the option screen, it can only go up.

Straight from the MKFR!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »

Works fine for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic