Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:25:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsConcept art for a game Idea: Run.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Concept art for a game Idea: Run.  (Read 16267 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:57 PM »

(fairly realistic because I don't know if anyone can actually run on walls like the chick does in that trailer)

Well, holy crap, make that fully realistic.

Le parkour is probably the most awesome modern physical activity imaginable.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43:35 PM »

That wall is at an angle. There's another video where you see it better.

(fairly realistic because I don't know if anyone can actually run on walls like the chick does in that trailer)

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »

That was awesome- I'm always jealous of these crazy-ass people. I wonder how they train?
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 01:22:49 PM »

I wanted to get the animation in it as smoothe as possible and I figure that segmented animation would probbably be the easiest way to do it. As such I designed the charecter with a major visual element at each joint to hide seams at joining sections of the sprite

You're going to have major problems making a convincing run/walk cycle using paper doll style animation. Especially considering that your concept hinges on it.

That was awesome- I'm always jealous of these crazy-ass people. I wonder how they train?

I see parkour guys around where I live in London all the time. They mostly walk around with notepads or do the same jump over and over. Whenever you see a big parkour run on film, each part of it has been very carefully planned out and practiced. It's nowhere near as spontaneous as they make it seem.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2008, 02:50:27 PM »

You're going to have major problems making a convincing run/walk cycle using paper doll style animation. Especially considering that your concept hinges on it.

Really? I've never tried paper doll animation usualy I just draw everything out. I imagined it would be simmilar to animating in 3D using more of a pupeteering method then a straight drawing method?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 08:59:25 PM »

I always run and jump over random stuff I deem to be obstacles, where others see only tables and garbage cans. Sometimes I even plot out "runs" to see how flowing I can make the "course".
I never do any of the crazier stuff I want though, 'cause then people would think I'm weird(er than I am). Subsequently, I'm not as good as the dudes in many youtube videos. If I were to actually do some of the stuff I want though, I have no doubt I'd be one of those dudes within a month or two. Sort of requires a suspension of self-doubt and fear though.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 11:39:09 PM »

There's also a sci-fi Parkour movie I'd like to see called Section B-12. It's kind of like the French answer to Asian martial arts vehicles such as Ong Bak. And there is another mainstream Parkour game, aside from Mirror's Edge. I don't remember the name, but it's third person and has some bullshit about mystic animal totems that sounds pretty irrelevant. Mirror's Edge looks much better.

On the downside, I have heard that consistent practicing of Parkour will ruin your joints and give you early arthritis. It comes from all the landings, I think, even though they crouch to absorb the impact and stuff, it still has a gradual effect on them.

Still, I think it's probably worth it in exchange for the chance to be some kind of modern-day French ninja.

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 12:47:25 AM »

On the downside, I have heard that consistent practicing of Parkour will ruin your joints and give you early arthritis. It comes from all the landings, I think, even though they crouch to absorb the impact and stuff, it still has a gradual effect on them.

Pretty much every sport will do this to you though.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 04:59:51 AM »

It's called Banlieue 13 and it stars David Belle. It's a little cheesy at parts, but the action is dope. Don't watch the dubbed version though, it's lame.

As for how they train, I don't think doing one jump over and over again is really parkour. There are people who do crazy stunts and practice them but parkour as David Belle invented it was meant to be focused on continual forward motion without stopping. No tricks or flashy moves, just running. I've seen clips of him doing just that, and I can't say for sure that they weren't rehearsed, but they didn't look it.

I really like

because you can see how good he is even as he fails.

Here's the

in B13. It's from the dubbed version, but there's not much talking. There's a copy from the french version on youtube but the quality is pretty low.

I guess neither of those videos proves my point. But I like them anyway.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 02:29:55 PM »

I really like

because you can see how good he is even as he fails.

Man I love youtube comments, they're like a collection of the most retarded things anyone could say.
Tr00jg
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2008, 03:37:22 AM »

I've always been wanting to make a "running" game, but picture it with epic music and running across huge plains with Fumito Ueda style graphics/atmosphere.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2008, 05:04:26 AM »

Ok, so programming is hard. I'm just working with a shitty little stick figure dude at the moment and he keeps getting stuck in walls. I guess I'm gunna have to work out hit boxes in game maker. Any suggestions?

I've pretty much given up on the whole paper doll animation thing because I wouldn't even know how to begin to do that.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »

You're trying to make this as your very first game?

Stop.

Save this idea and think of the simplest thing you can do.

Then do something simpler.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2008, 04:02:45 AM »

You're trying to make this as your very first game?
Not my first game, my first platformer though.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic