Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:34:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Mushrooms Hate Kaya [FINISHED]  (Read 47151 times)
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »

EIGHTH ENTRY (Post-Compo)
Hey guys, I've started bashing my head into the keyboard with MMF running again, and I've got an announcement:

EDIT: Here's the Music

This build makes both Kaya and the Mushrooms easier to control; Kaya can jump while running down slopes, and can also climb walls. As the mushrooms, clicking selects the nearest unit, rather than requiring you to actually click on the mushrooms.

I've also added the "Garden Wars" area control mode. It's done save for some particle effects to make it look pretty.

As always, I want you to come and break my game. Let me know if you find any stupid bugs where I should have known better. Also suggestions for features or new levels will be politely listened to, but I won't make any promises that they will be included in the final build. Which should be around shortly...

SEVENTH ENTRY
Just a little update:
Here's the standalone exe for those who shrink back in terror at the sight of an install wizard: KayaLovesMushrooms.exe (4.28 MB)

And here's the music, just unzip it into the same folder as the exe: KayaLovesMusic.zip(6.50 MB)

SIXTH ENTRY
I'MA DONE!

EDIT: Sojin's soundtrack for the game, including several tracks that didn't make it into the compo entry, is up on Bandcamp. It's pretty awesome stuff.

Also, I completely forgot to put any credits in-game, so it looks like I need to do a minor update tonight...

FIFTH ENTRY (Minor Update)
Newer Demo!
Download the new version!
(New installer, all music accounted for)

This is what my compo entry is going to look like. I've pruned the more troublesome levels off for now so I'd be able to have a complete game for the deadline. (The removed levels, -besides Sleeping Giant, which I think needs a total redesign- can be accessed by hitting "T" in the main menu.)
All I have left to do now is add sound effects. That is unless somebody finds a huge fatal bug by Sunday :/

Oooh! I almost forgot. Press "G" at any time to turn giblets on. Press "N" to turn them off again. And, um... bring a towell...

Testers are still needed for the two unreleased modes. It's not a huge rush now I guess, but it'd still be nice.

Shojin's soundtrack is nearly done as well. And I'm throughly in awe over a couple of the tracks.

FOURTH ENTRY:
It's a mess of final art and scribbly process art at the moment, but the game itself is all there. There's still some serious balance issues, I need two-player teams to test the game and keep track of which modes they play, how many times, and which side wins. Oh, and of course, if they find any game-breaking issues...

(In exchange for testing my game I can offer either equivalent testing or art-related favors.)

ALSO: I made a proper cover for Shojin's soundtrack:

THIRD ENTRY:

Alright, so I don't have a new demo yet, but I've a couple pictures to show:

Here's the fancy main menu...

And here's some new sprites that better compliment the painterly level backgrounds I'm working on.

Also: Check out the soundtrack that Shojin is working on: http://artembank.bandcamp.com/album/mushrooms-hate-kaya

SECOND ENTRY:

In what was probably a bad use of time, I made up some sprites for the game today. I also made a new level because the old one was crap, and fixed the broken programming bits so it all runs a bit smoother and our hero isn't spawning inside walls...

The game doesn't recognize winning and losing conditions yet, but essentially, if Kaya can eat a hundred mushrooms she wins, and if the mushrooms can kill Kaya five
times then they win. These will both probably need to be adjusted, but I don't have anyone around to playtest with right now. So, yeah... like that.

Kaya won't spawn until the mushrooms are well established, and if all the mushrooms are eaten, they simply get a restart. (This will probably change too)

One idea I have is that each level will have different objectives for both sides. Things like, the mouse player having to grow a certain number of red mushrooms, Kaya needing to keep from getting hit for a certain amount of time, or an area control battle of sorts, with the mushrooms trying to cover hotspots on the level and Kaya trying to clear them off. We'll see how that goes...

FIRST ENTRY:
Hello, what's this? A challenge? A challenge of challenges? Well, I shan't back down from this! Gentleman

My game is about a little lisardy thing that likes to eat mushrooms, and mushrooms that don't want to be eaten. One player controls Kaya with the Keyboard, trying to gobble up all the mushrooms she can, while the other controls the mushrooms with the mouse as they try to spread to where they will be safe, and also try to kill Kaya with their poison spores.

So far The basic mechanics are all in place, The mushrooms can shoot spores, which can be used to either kill Kaya or plant new mushrooms. Kaya can eat the mushrooms, and dies when hit by their spores. The game felt tilted to Kaya's side so now the mushrooms have three seconds before Kaia respawns. Mushrooms mature through three stages, with the youngest being helpless, the middle being able to shoot a single spore, and the oldest being able to fire a burst of three spores. You can speed up the growth of mushrooms by hoverng your mouse near them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:07:32 PM by Starflier » Logged

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

The premise and graphics are adorable, and I'm a fan of asymmetrical multiplayer, so I'll be keeping an eye open for this one Smiley Good luck, and good work!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »

I don't have a lot to report yet, except that the Demo's done
I'ma go work on some art now...

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:00:04 PM »

Hey, I've got a new screenshot and demo up now. It's not hideously broken, I promise. Embarrassed

(It doesn't know when either side wins. But basically if Kaya eats 100 mushrooms she wins and if the mushrooms kill Kaya 5 times, they win. It isn't playtested. So the balance is out of whack.)

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:30 PM »

"Starflier", interesting nick, do you know a guy named Bradley Johansson?

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:49:49 PM »

Um, not that I know of...

It's actually the surname of a Mary-Sue character from a TaleSpin Fanfic I never finished writing in 2002 because it was too horrrible. And I used it as my username until the band "Starflyer 59" gained significant popularity, because nobody else had a reason to use it until then...

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:29 PM »

Just tried this by myself, since I don't have anyone to play it with at home, and it looks really promising! For a moment I was wondering about the mouseshroom player's gameplay, then I read the instructions (might want to copy those into the first post in the thread) and it made a little more sense. Finally managed to figure it out by ignoring kaya for a while and focusing on the mushroom gameplay.

Definitely interesting, giving each player ancillary goals as you suggest might be an idea.

Keep it up!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:57:34 PM »

Made two more game modes yesterday, an area control game and one where the mushroom player has to grow a certain number of mushrooms in a given time. I'll compile another demo soon.

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:32:56 PM »

Hi guys! I guess I'm doing the soundtrack for this too. It's gonna be great. And from what Starflier sent me what he had in mind, he likes my little 14 second idea for the main theme/title music. Hope you like the little teaser... will post more as I get it done.

http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/untitled

ink.inc
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »

Hi guys! I guess I'm doing the soundtrack for this too.

You sure get around, dontcha  Big Laff.

Anyway, great work with the track!
Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »

I'm really pleased with that track. It's like he read my brain...

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »

From 14 seconds to just under a minute.
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/forest

EDIT: Done maybe? What do you think Starflier, good enough for title screen music?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 08:30:01 PM by shojin » Logged

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:24 PM »

EDIT: Done maybe? What do you think Starflier, good enough for title screen music?

By far, I love it. :D

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 08:01:54 PM »

By far, I love it. :D

What format do you need audio in... and how do you want me to send it to you?
You still working on this baby? Tongue

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 03:20:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm still on it. I've just suddenly come upon a patch of employment, so my progress has been slightly fettered...

Any road, Ogg Vorbis would be ideal, Wav would work too.

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »

Yeah, I'm still on it. I've just suddenly come upon a patch of employment, so my progress has been slightly fettered...

Any road, Ogg Vorbis would be ideal, Wav would work too.

How do I get it to you...?

By the way, idea for a gameplay track.
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/strolling-through

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 12:25:24 AM »

How do I get it to you...?

By the way, idea for a gameplay track.
http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/strolling-through

Just email it to me. ([email protected]) If that won't work for whatever reason, I'll note you the FTP address and password for my server.

I like the direction for Strolling Through, though I think the snare drum is a bit harsh...

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 02:16:07 PM »

I like the direction for Strolling Through, though I think the snare drum is a bit harsh...

Sent you an ogg in an email.

Will tone down Strolling Through... though now that I've listened to it a day after I made it, I don't like the drum beat or the bass. I do like the synth tho, so I may overhaul it with just the synth.

Also: http://artembank.bandcamp.com/album/mushrooms-hate-kaya

Booya.

Starflier
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:02:26 PM »

Sent you an ogg in an email.

Will tone down Strolling Through... though now that I've listened to it a day after I made it, I don't like the drum beat or the bass. I do like the synth tho, so I may overhaul it with just the synth.

Also: http://artembank.bandcamp.com/album/mushrooms-hate-kaya

Booya.

Woah, Dude, I'll do some proper album art for you...
And, yep, I got the ogg. I'll have the completed main menu in the next demo. That means I'm horrible at priorities, since I only have three out of four game modes finished, (And two of those are unbalanced like heck) but it let me work out the visual style for the game. Anyway, barring dissaster, I should have the full game with art and four levels done sometime next week, then it will just be a matter of testing and making minor adjustments.

Here's the fancy main menu...

And here's some new sprites that better compliment the painterly level backgrounds I'm working on.

shojin
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 01:16:17 PM »

Woah, Dude, I'll do some proper album art for you...

Awesome. How about that background for the title screen with the title centered? I think that'd be awesome If you wanna add more to that, or if you have another idea tho, that's cool. Tongue

Also, new idea thingy: http://soundcloud.com/redshojin/light-under-the-leaves
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:27:12 PM by shojin » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic