Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:35:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 77238 times)
initials
Level 2

Initials

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2011, 07:58:59 PM »

Looks like a great game. I'm going to buy it as soon as it comes out.
As a fan, is there anything I can do to help?

Initials
VFX/Games/Music
Super Lemonade Factory, Super Lemonade Factory Part Two, Revvolvver, Four Chambers of the Human Heart.
forwardresent
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:09 AM »

Just recently stumbled upon this, looks very polished and interesting, great art and animation.
pixhead
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:50 PM »

In the process of downloading the demo. Oh lawd I am so excited. Grin
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: August 20, 2011, 11:05:30 PM »

could you link to the demo?

pixhead
« Reply #124 on: August 20, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »

there's a link to it on TIGSource.
http://www.tigsource.com/2011/08/20/owlboy-demo-released/

Now all I have to say, is SmileyHand Clap great job. I can see the game still needs those last few layers of polish but all around fun. I am really excited for the full game even more than before.
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »

Nice work on the demo. this is a fantastic game. lots of detail on the art.
The only thing I could say for critique is the fact that the crosshair (aim) can go off screen and be 'lost'. I think it should be bound to the screen. especially when enemies jump out at you or in boss battles. otherwise everything is superb from the demo.

Some interesting BG art here I'm sure y'all must of commented in debug, but just what the hell is that in the background in the temple. lol.
nice color scheme also.

Best line from the demo: "Bullets wont do anything, you have to run!"

The ending was great. when is the release?
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »

I think you guys should at least make a tweet with a link to the demo and post a link here too, not as many people will see it if you only post it on your blog.

Just did;) Here is the artwork for the demolaunch aswell:)

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »

Demo is awesome! Cannot wait to get my grabby pawns on the game.

Congrats guy, the amount of pixel art and care you've put in this game is staggering

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
leonelc29
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2011, 02:25:15 AM »

just played. really great! love some part of the game, like the gnome chase. accidentally flying, and get chased by bunch of them Epileptic

really hope i can get this, but...
bug
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2011, 06:38:04 AM »

Really nice! Especially the graphics.

Only thing I don't like are the rotated sprites (e.g. aiming with angles). And the controls are working to smooth when flying, but that's just my personal flavor. I'd rather like a wing flapping feel to it I presume.
rayteoactive
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »

So I just tried the demo (been waiting for this since forever) Great stuff you guys have going XD

Anyway, some comments that's hopefully constuctive

- Accidental Jump : If I hold the jump button, player instantly jumps again when he land. I usually remove this in my game since many players have the habit of holding the jump button till they land. Especially in this game, when I want to instantly jump off after I land, I end up pressing jump after an accidental jump, causing me to fly *SPOILER ALERT* which I ends up getting spot in the dark multiple times.

- Activate Fly : This might be a bad idea, I'm not sure... but I was thinking it might be more satisfying if the player activates fly mode from holding jump in the air. Like, press jump to jump, press and hold jump and owlboy do a little somersault. Hold it long enough "0.2" sec, and he spreads his wings. I'd imagine, it gives the "take off" more impact and feels more like you're heading for an adventure. Also, it prevents player from going into flying mode accidentally.

- Monster placement : Felt a little overwhelming when I bump into the 1st group of monsters (3 of them, 2 different variety). There's a few more areas that I felt was overwhelming. Might wanna space them out a little.

- Checkpoint : I realize when I die, I don't revive on the save point, but somewhere else. There's a checkpoint, but we don't see it. The problem with this is that I was dying and thought its fine, I'll probably revive somewhere near, but I didn't. And have to play a whole area over again. The next time, I was trying hard not to die, and restart somewhere near.

- Checkpoint before cutscene : I also realize many checkpoint were placed before cutscene, which means that we need to rewatch everything when we die. Though you probably gonna throw in a skip button, it might be a good idea to rearrange your checkpoint a little too.

- Level Guidance : I feel lost in the level sometimes. I see multiple path, but I'm not sure which is the correct path. I thought I pick a random path and explore a little before I come back, but next thing I know, the gate close up behind, and I can't backtrack now.

The way I usually handle this in my game is - The correct path are easiest to reach and proceed, while the alternate path are usually more troublesome. This case, players that want to explore will take the harder path, and players that want to proceed can take the easier path.

- Closing gate : I can almost never see the gates. This might be good for a trap, making player goes "omg" when the gate closes, but it also means I ends up getting in unprepared too often. On the other hand, if player is able to see the danger ahead, they can prepare themselves for the danger ahead... much like the save point before the boss fight.

- Satisfaction : I'm assuming the audio is incomplete at the moment, but I felt you can go more flashy when the player found a key item. Not just a pose, but some animation, particles, etc.

- Rate of Fire : The default guy with the pistol felt weak, and since his rate of fire is pretty slow, I ended up just dodging all the enemies. Maybe you can weaken his damage, and increase his rate of fire. Perhaps this way, player feel like there's more action, and more willing to attack. *Spoiler* Especially since there's we later have the guy with the spread gun, the pistol felt kinda meaningless.

- Controls : It felt kinda odd with up being jump since you already have a jump button, and using a shoulder button for interaction. Would suggest you simply the controls a little.

Anyway, long post, but that's all for now Smiley I did enjoy the game, and it looks so damn magnificent. Can't wait till the release!

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »

The demo won't start for me -- keeps crashing after the D-Pad logo. I'll attach a screenshot of the error window.

Wait... ffs, this forum doesn't let me upload images?! It's just a 50k png Sad

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »

very very lovely demo. I just wish the pixels didn't mess up every time I flew ]:

Kramlack
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »

very very lovely demo. I just wish the pixels didn't mess up every time I flew ]:

Agreed with the resolution change when flying. I kind of get why you did it, but it really takes away from stopping to look at everything.

How much is the game going to cost when it's finished? I would easily drop the $60 of a full retail game on this baby.
ink.inc
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2011, 08:22:23 PM »

Lacking that last layer of polish, but still quite interesting (and very aesthetically pleasing). The opening of the game was somewhat confusing (no real intro/story) but I suppose that'll be changed upon release.
Elrinth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2011, 09:23:54 PM »

Why did it "repair" my XNA 4 installation? Was there anything wrong with it? I think a checkbox to install XNA would be feasible to add to the demo.
I don't really like reinstalling something I already have.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:27 PM »

Just played the demo, it's good stuff. The atmosphere is great and the pixel art is gorgeous (though sadly a lot of it was ruined by the incredibly ugly nearest neighbor pixel scaling). The level design seemed a bit empty though (quite a few long/high corridors with nothing in them), and most of the puzzles had pretty obvious solutions. Basically it just needs to be tightened up a bit, maybe make the action a bit faster too (though I played with a gamepad instead of a mouse+keyboard so maybe that helped make it easier for me).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:26:31 PM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
ink.inc
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:13 PM »

empty

This is exactly what was on my mind.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2011, 01:54:46 AM »

just played. really great! love some part of the game, like the gnome chase. accidentally flying, and get chased by bunch of them Epileptic

really hope i can get this, but...

that part reminded me a lot of Heart of Darkness :D Especially the death animation and the fact that the enemies are almost totally black with green glows. And if something reminds me of HoD, that's a compliment

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

Why does every game have hats these days? Why I am I working on a game with hats myself? What have you done to me, TIG?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic