Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:27:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 76883 times)
Johnny Darko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: January 12, 2013, 04:54:21 AM »

I want to marry your game. And maybe you too.  Crazy .
miketucker
« Reply #161 on: January 12, 2013, 05:07:48 AM »

Absolutely beautiful work. Have you considered using the animation loops in a more procedural way? Such as instantiating many of the same animation clips to create larger forms? Similar to how Zelda Windwaker does smoke and water effects?

Anyway, great stuff and hope all goes well with dev.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: January 12, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

Absolutely beautiful work. Have you considered using the animation loops in a more procedural way? Such as instantiating many of the same animation clips to create larger forms? Similar to how Zelda Windwaker does smoke and water effects?

I'm a little confused as to what you're suggesting. Are you talking about the city lighting? I've done tests where I use more frames for glow, then give different loop-points to areas throughout the city to make it more vibrant. It didn't feel quite right at the time though, so for uploading an example here, I went for the two frame option for the time being.

If you're talking about in general though, we do do that for certain elements. Though I've got it as a basic rule to avoid rotated and scaled pixels as much as possible. It tends to ruin the illusion a bit. For particle effects though, we use it pretty frequently.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 12, 2013, 05:34:49 PM »

I saw this quite awhile ago. Good to see it's still in development. Following it!

CaptainKraft
Level 0

Chillin like a villin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 12, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »

The art in this game alone is enough to get me interested. I hope the rest of the game can keep up with Snake cause this is just stunning.

I'll definitely have my eye on this game. Kick some ass guys

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: January 13, 2013, 12:59:45 AM »

This is too much <3

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »

I'm a little confused as to what you're suggesting. Are you talking about the city lighting? I've done tests where I use more frames for glow, then give different loop-points to areas throughout the city to make it more vibrant. It didn't feel quite right at the time though, so for uploading an example here, I went for the two frame option for the time being.
Maybe you could try a modern variant of color cycling to get the right pulsing glow feeling?
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2013, 06:44:10 AM »

The art in this game alone is enough to get me interested. I hope the rest of the game can keep up with Snake cause this is just stunning.

While it's definitely a challenge taking care of all the art myself, I'm a fairly intense perfectionist at times and would have a hard time accepting help. I do enjoy having complete creative control though. That said, I'm definitely mustering a larger team if I ever attempt a project of this size again.

Maybe you could try a modern variant of color cycling to get the right pulsing glow feeling?

We have a recoloring option built into our engine, but I don't think color cycling is needed. I'd probably get twitchy and demand to do it by hand anyway, hahaha!

Oh yeah. New minor enemy added today.

I call him a Levigate, taken from a genius of rose (and levitation.) Which... is really a fancy title for a flopping bouncing ball enemy.

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »

While it's definitely a challenge taking care of all the art myself, I'm a fairly intense perfectionist at times and would have a hard time accepting help. I do enjoy having complete creative control though. That said, I'm definitely mustering a larger team if I ever attempt a project of this size again.

We have a recoloring option built into our engine, but I don't think color cycling is needed. I'd probably get twitchy and demand to do it by hand anyway, hahaha!

Oh yeah. New minor enemy added today.

I call him a Levigate, taken from a genius of rose (and levitation.) Which... is really a fancy title for a flopping bouncing ball enemy.

Can you sell your brain please?
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Our composer just won an award, so we decided to put together a little something. This is a recut of a panorama video we used for a display during an art festival in town. It shows a bit of what we've been working on, but also reveals a new track, which happens to be one of my favorites:

Enjoy!  Gentleman

Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2013, 12:33:15 PM »

Keep up the amazing work guys!
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »

Enjoy? Don't mind if I do!  Kiss My eyes have been stuck like that for six years or so after my first look, and now my ears are in similar shape. Amazing work everyone!  Kiss

TheApo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: January 20, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »

Shocked What  ShockedShocked nice  Shocked art and music ... really great stuff.
poe
« Reply #173 on: January 20, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »

Yes
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 20, 2013, 05:52:20 PM »

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Our composer just won an award, so we decided to put together a little something. This is a recut of a panorama video we used for a display during an art festival in town. It shows a bit of what we've been working on, but also reveals a new track, which happens to be one of my favorites:

Enjoy!  Gentleman

Enjoy? Im crying rainboow!!!!
Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

incredible music + most awesome pixels to land on planet earth  Tears of Joy

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2013, 12:37:30 PM »

This game is the definition of sublime aesthetics!  Hand Clap Kiss

siskavard
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2013, 01:47:55 PM »

Can't wait to buy this.
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »

Despite having some of the prettiest tilesets and pixel art I've ever seen the level design still looks so boring it's baffling. I remember thinking this when trying the demo ages ago and hoping it would get fixed eventually but it seems places like these still exist in the game:

(couple of screenshots I took from the music demo)

The fidelity of the pixelart doesn't allow for such spartan level design! Stuff looks lazy and blocked in, these arent carefully handcrafted places with personality that the tileset positively pleads to be moulded into. The lower shot is just a huge L turn with nothing breaking up the straight lines at all. There's that one rock at bottom right but that's literally the only thing happening. Such variations make or break this visual, stuff like the ceiling having protrusions or stalagmites or a huge crack or whatever. The background brick wall is a looping randomized pattern but would be much better if it had a couple of easily recognizable bigger details, a hole or a crack or a brick that's as big as six bricks, ornamental details, crumbly bits etc to break it up and make it look like someone designed this place for a screenshot.

On the other hand the handcrafted places look amazing and detailed and varied, it's just the tileset based places look the part of empty filler material. Here's hoping it's just a couple of old levels up for sprucing up anyway!

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

Despite having some of the prettiest tilesets and pixel art I've ever seen the level design still looks so boring it's baffling.

Completely understandable reaction honestly. The tiles in the video were not put in by me. It's taken from a panorama video we had set up for a display, and our programmer; Jo, had set it up while I worked on other things.

In fact, aside from two maps that I've had the time to jump into myself, all the maps are temp-maps set up so we can test gameplay, then worry about aesthetic cleanups afterwards. This video was never meant as a trailer. It was just a tribute video for our composer that spread like wildfire.

That said, "so boring it's baffling." might be a bit intense. I suppose there's not much to do other than keep tweaking the the thing and hope it lives up to expectations. I'm open to suggestions by all means.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic