Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:11:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 77273 times)
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2016, 12:39:35 PM »

Owlboy is getting closer and closer to release, and we're trying to figure out ways to show off Snake's animations.

Up till now, we've been neglecting promotion for the game, so we're really worried that the game might go unnoticed, even though we've worked on it for so long(getting close to 10 years now).

I'll report a little on how the different social media are working for us in the future, but one fun thing I can recommend doing is getting an Instagram.

I've noooo idea how to use Instagram on PC, so I just figured 'why not just take footage from my mobile cam and upload that'. The results are a little interesting, because it doesn't look like any other screenshots just posted on the web. That, and it takes me literally 10 sec to capture and post. We havn't gathered a lot of followers yet, and are currently followed by 100 people after 1 week of use, but I really recommend it just for fun!

Feel free to take a peek: https://www.instagram.com/dpadstudio

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2016, 01:12:07 PM »

Woooah, what happened? It's all... incredibly detailed and shaded and stuff compared to when I last saw this game (at which point the graphics were still stunning!). Looks amazing, but I can't even begin to imagine how time consuming it must be. WTF Really looking forward to this!

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

is this still going to be on x box 360
thestrangers
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 27, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »

Very inspiring environments and artwork. The love and time really shows. Followed!
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2016, 04:23:56 PM »

Snake is pixel god for sure. Even if this  game turns to be turd.. I would buy it  for the pixel alone.
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2016, 11:20:26 PM »

Quote from: Prinsessa
Woooah, what happened? It's all... incredibly detailed and shaded and stuff compared to when I last saw this game (at which point the graphics were still stunning!). Looks amazing, but I can't even begin to imagine how time consuming it must be. WTF Really looking forward to this!

Our artist has had a gooood long time to hone his skills while developing the game. In fact, we constantly go back to older parts of the game to brush them up to our new standard.

One of the first things we did after releasing the demo in 2011 was to up the game's resolution from 800x600 to 1280x720, mostly because I saw that this had become a standard for pixel indie games by then(Iconoclasts, Hyper Light Drifter, etc).

We noticed that we essentially HAD to do this, because wide-screen had become the new standard. Fullscreening Owlboy in 800x600 on a wide-screen, was, well, not very good-looking! It took a lot of time resizing rooms and layouts to fit the new format, but it was worth it, because now the game looks great, even in 4K!

Oh, and another example on Snake honing his skills, he did this piece some time ago, to portray how Otus might have looked after all these years of practise. (Some fans even thought we were re-doing all of Otus' sprites. I'm really, really happy we didn't! Otus has 535 frames of animation... I know, cuz I just counted :-I )

Quote from: Superb Joe
is this still going to be on x box 360

I don't think we'll be targeting Xbox 360 anymore. I kind of wish that we could, but I don't even think Microsoft would be interested in publishing anything on the 360 these days.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2016, 11:33:46 PM »

It would be the ultimate retro-move though; massive geek cred and perhaps even better sales on other platforms.
mosseljongen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 29, 2016, 03:55:44 AM »

As for using instagram on your PC, have a look at https://later.com/
An app on your mobile and inbrowser site where you can schedule posts, upload pictures from your pc so your phone can post them.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 29, 2016, 09:08:09 AM »

Every time I go back to check on this thread, the graphics blow me away. This has to be one of the nicest looking 2d games Ive ever seen! Keep up the incredible work, this game is fantastic!

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 29, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »

Yeah, this game is really pushing the boundaries of what pixel art can accomplish :D
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2016, 12:47:50 PM »

Oh, and another example on Snake honing his skills, he did this piece some time ago, to portray how Otus might have looked after all these years of practise. (Some fans even thought we were re-doing all of Otus' sprites. I'm really, really happy we didn't! Otus has 535 frames of animation... I know, cuz I just counted :-I )

So, to be seen in Owlboy 2: Hoot Harder?
Adrianb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »

Owlboy 2: Hootn' and Hollern'
Owlboy 2: The Great Hootenanny
strobosaur
Level 0

High priest of the lysergic church of 0/000

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: July 30, 2016, 12:23:13 AM »

So good to see this megaproject is still being worked on :D I remember stumbling on a preview on some review-site around when it had first been shown, many years ago.. Being the SNES fanboy that i am, i was in awe!! Ever since then, i've wondered why this game hasn't been the talk of the town in indie circles.. I forgot the name of the game, and after some time i started really wondering what had happened to this mysterious title... So it's great to hear that you may even finish it soon Smiley

I guess you hear this a lot, but yes, the graphics are just masterful. The Gifs reveal some other nice touches as well, i like the enormous morphing clusters of clouds, the animated terrain, and the constant light shaking of the camera, really gives the feeling of powerful wind, a stormy world among the clouds.. Can't imagine how you have made the graphics, but it's definitely the best work i've seen of it's type. It looks like SNES era capcom taken to it's utmost extreme, thoughts go towards their disney games, colorful. But this is definitely something of it's very own kind.

Actually. the graphics was one reason i feared this might never see the light of day, just because that level of craftsmanship (presumably) requires brutal levels of dedication... But im sure it will be worth it, this is a game i would play just to look at everything. And i can't imagine it being anything less than a hit if you eventually release it Smiley

Best of luck, im very much looking forward to this!

OUTSTATION devlog
STROBOSAUR soundcloud
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: July 30, 2016, 11:10:31 AM »

As for using instagram on your PC, have a look at https://later.com/
An app on your mobile and inbrowser site where you can schedule posts, upload pictures from your pc so your phone can post them.

Oh that's great, checking it right now! Thank you Grin

Quote from: strobosaur
Aye, the game was well known back when we released the demo in 2011, but we've pretty much kept it under wraps, mostly because we wanted to avoid spoilers. We've started opening the lid these days, as we're getting closer and closer to release. We're even gonna show it at PAX West this September!

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »

Hey everyone. Been a while. Been working on this game non-stop for so long it gets easy to forget communicating. Its nice to be back.

Anyway. Figured it was time to give a bit of an art update:

First stuff is just giving you a lot of interactable elements for your gunners. Just recently added where Geddy can be struck by projectiles, get knocked around by your spins and get slammed into walls. He remembers every single one though.

We've spent a good bit of time making sure everything feels alive. That requires a lot of moving objects for unique biomes.

The final menus are in. Feels so good to have those temp graphics out of the way. Everything is also puncutated with sound effects, finally. I think this is the fifth or sixth time I've redesigned these, so it's a relief.

And I've just been adding a lot of custom art and polish to places in general. Feels nice to replace quick level scaffolding with something proper.

I'm currently taking care of the last dungeon of the game, so naturally I can't share that, but I'll be dropping some of the minor things I'm doing here fairly regularly if time allows.

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »

Still looks mind-blowly beautiful. Keep going!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »

fucking gorgeous. so beautiful i'm getting angry

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2016, 02:07:49 PM »

fucking gorgeous. so beautiful i'm getting angry

bacon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

Feeling very #blessed to know that Owlboy still exists.

CANTATA
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »

The only criticism I have is I feel the clouds are moving too fast. Too much action in the background. Tongue

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic