Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:00:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 77285 times)
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:35 PM »

Owlboy is looking really beautiful. But there's something about the shop, like, almost too much to look at (I know its a shop) but sometimes to me it feels a little cluttered IMHO. Like I didn't know where the hell to look. It is nice though, don't get me wrong.

Also, are you guys sure the outside of the shop isn't back to front?  Epileptic
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:59 PM »

But there's something about the shop, like, almost too much to look at.

Also, are you guys sure the outside of the shop isn't back to front?  Epileptic

I can't say much about the clutterness. I kind of liked it like that, though we'll look into it if it's a serious eyestrain.

As for the back-to-frontness... urgh. I can't believe I didn't notice that. To be fair though, the logic has already been twisted with the inside and outsides of houses pretty consistantly, so I'm not too worried. Otus' house is three times the size on the inside and inversed too. I'll keep it in mind for later, but I find it easier to keep the door in the aproximate same position so the player knows where it is. Something for a realism versus function thread I suppose.

Please update this blog more then you do the website. I need Owlboy!!!

Alrighty then. In that case, I have some random stuff I've been toying with during late evenings. Ish keychains:

So far I only have the Greenish and the Blueish. I had three more, but they exploded. Turns out double-heating the clay with the chainlinks in them will do that... So far, we're just quietly pondering if something like this can be used for anything.

Oh yeah... and I made this thing when I got bored:

Can you tell I've rediscovered clay? Not great, but it's kind of fun to play around with when you should really be asleep.

So yeah. Crazy

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »

Did you use clay for the keychains? As in clay clay? Perhaps something like Fimo would be more suitable/durable?
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »

Kiss

(Yes, I'm speechless. That ART! That SETTTING! Is this love?)

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:57 AM »

Looks amazing so far. Coffee

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:24 AM »

Some nice observations about the font here, and I agree, we just havn't replaced it yet. The font we're currently using looks inconsistent in a way, it's called "Kootenay".

Which font are you using here Konidias?

I'd prefer something like this, but maybe it's just me:

The font isn't so bad but it's the kerning that's letting it down - the spacing between the letters is wrong and it makes it look really odd.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2011, 02:36:42 AM »

Personally I'm not a big fan of those fonts like Courier that have the exact same width for each character. People shouldn't really use those unless they strictly need to.
But it is an improvement over the original ones, Alex is right about the kerning.
aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 05:16:37 AM »

This looks amazing, guys. Looking forward to seeing the demo.
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2011, 03:41:25 AM »

GDC over, back behind our desks
Owlboy buttons has been spread far and wide, we've got to test the new 3DS, and we met up with legendary indies to have a look at their newest creations.

I tested the newest version of Desktop Dungeons(which looks super!), and had a chat with Rodain(it's creator) at the IGF floor, aswell as nodding nicly to Notch(Creator of Minecraft, who was swamped in people).

I got to meet Phubans and played his newly released The Indie Game Legend(Download it, NAOW).

Finishing up the Owlboy Demo
With only polish left, the playable demo is right around the corner. This weeks task is to have all the locations ready in-game, aswell as bringing in the Gunners, pick-upable characters which aid Otus throughout the game. We've also redefined the control system, as we're trying to find the easiest contol scheme for new players, and added powerup effects.

When Otus uses a powerup, he changes color, and a icon appears in the lower left side of the screen, telling the player off how long the effect will last before it expires.

wilbefast
Level 1

I am the cat who walks by himself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »

Saw this a while back  My Word! proof beyond a doubt that well-made pixel-art is as nice or nicer-looking than hi-definition 3D models. Also interesting that few platformers let you fly around...

It's just a shame it's not on Linux, but I'd be more than prepared to boot up the old Windows partition just to play this  Wink

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:05 AM »

oh so very lovely

Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2011, 03:13:27 PM »

Returning home from GDC:
We're back, but we got to unload our swag unto Indies, aswell as Indies unloading their swag on us! I bask in my brilliant new Octodad T-shirt!

MS Paint Buttons, Simon's homage to his tool of trade

But now, business time hit's us for real, and we're down to finish the demo once and for all!

What's in since last time?
+ All Gunners(Pickupable allies) has been added, and are functional. We cannot reveal who the gunners are, as some secrets must remain hidden till release.
+ The Guardian(Boss) of the first Dungeon has been added. The first dungeon is called the Owl Temple, and will appear in the demo.
+ Paralaxx layers has been added, and Owlboy looks better than ever! We're amazed at how much of a difference it makes to have some moving backgrounds in the game.
+ A new control system. Otus now hovers automaticly, whereas before one had to keep RT in to control his hovering. We're still trying to revise the controls, but this is one big improvement that has left the game more playable,

What's left?
- Polish, Cutscenes and Testing. Loads and loads of testing! We realize that the demo is by no chance a finished product, but polish is one of the things we will really focus in the game.

Expect the demo pretty soon Beer!

aDFP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »

Expect the demo pretty soon Beer!

My name is Dan, and I approve the hell out of this message.

I seriously can't wait guys, it's looking awesome!
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2011, 07:02:40 PM »

Those pixels are gorgeous!  Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2011, 01:07:48 PM »

The start of the adventure

For those of you who have tried Owlboy on GDC, might recall the game starting up in quite a classic way, with the main char sleeping, soundly in it's bed.

That's why we wanted to spice things up a little, by starting the game inside Otus' dream. This very first introduction to the game will serve as a basic tutorial, and will end in the game opening up to the player.

In the dream, players will see Otus falling, but will swiftly be introduced to how the flight controls in Owlboy works. The player will at this point, learn how to pickup objects and throw them in any direction. We think it's a nice way to spruce up the wakeup scene, and introduce everyone to the floatingly world of Owlboy in a fun manner.

The demo takes a huge step to being complete, and theres only minor things are left to add before we can put it up Coffee

MaloEspada
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

50 points for MSPaint usage

200 points for Chrono Trigger opening-line

keep rockin'
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »

Big up to all the owl bois! Mash that fly button.   Hand Any Key Cool

Looking forward to this game. I've resolved not to buy any more games this year unless there's another humble indie bundle or this comes out. Maybe you can wait until AFTER my calculus finals?  Grin

Good luck, D-pad!

Yameki
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2011, 01:02:26 PM »

wow...simply wow. Brilliant work on every aspect! I think I'll buy an xbox360 just for this and fez!
Ratchet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 01:29:43 PM »

wow...simply wow. Brilliant work on every aspect! I think I'll buy an xbox360 just for this and fez!
Oh man, I'm thinking the same. I can't wait for this game! It's up there with Portal 2 for me.

I want to request one thing of the devs though: Please let the buttons be user-definable, even directions! I know a one-handed gamer, and while he's damn good, this is a small thing to implement that often gets overlooked. It's also good for everyone, not just handicapped players.

Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2011, 04:14:20 AM »

I want to request one thing of the devs though: Please let the buttons be user-definable, even directions!

Sure will Coffee

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic