Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:23:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOwlboy Development
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Owlboy Development  (Read 76862 times)
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2011, 04:18:25 AM »

It looks like...yes...YES! Letterbox support, judging by the images.
Now I might want an Xbox solely for this and Fez.
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2011, 04:23:01 AM »

Any chance you will ever release the guitar-version of the OwlBoy theme played in the beginning of the GDC video? The one on vimeo is also very nice, but I really like the higher tempo in the GDC one =)
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2011, 01:04:57 PM »

I think I found Owlboy's dad:

(I need to remember to check this place more often)

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2011, 01:52:01 PM »

I just saw your post and made this thing for fun. Would be funny to put this guy in the game though, though sir dad's position has already been filled.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:01 PM »

I just saw your post and made this thing for fun. Would be funny to put this guy in the game though, though sir dad's position has already been filled.

Make it like No More Heroes, where he's just faking being his dad.
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2011, 04:54:31 PM »

Make it like No More Heroes, where he's just faking being his dad.
Or make him an octopus but nobody knows it.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2011, 05:21:18 PM »

All of the above.
At a key moment, he suddenly bursts forth from his disguise in his true octopus form and declares, "I'm not your real father! I'm an octopus!"

...Seriously, if he goes into the game at all, that would be super fantastic.

Off the subject: Cryptozoology rocks.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2011, 12:02:53 AM »

There's actually a character I've been thinking of using in this exact manner, but I'm not sure wether or not we'll include him since he serves no real purpouse. Not that that's any reason not to add him, just makes him more difficult to place in the game due to his... nature. I won't say too much in case I decide to go for it.

Honestly though, all this talk makes me want to add the Birdman to the game in some way. I'll have to think of something... Hopefully Miss June Melling won't be offended by the reference in that case (though I'm not expecting it)

Also, am I the only one that keeps thinking of the 'Marge Simpson is actually a rabbit in digsuise' trivia from the arcade game when reading this discussion?

Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »

Ahoy everyone!

This is a double post from the site, so I appologise to those that have already read it, but I've recieved a lot of requests to show the process in which I make the backgrounds in Owlboy, so I thought this would be of interest.

We're still chugging away at the game. The last week has mostly been adding content to a new dungeon we're working on, but since that's something we can't show at this point, this seemed like a good time to show off something that's been a long time coming: The NPC's houses:

This is Bomboman's house. He's been in the game for a while now, but after being busy working on other parts of the game for a while, it was high time we gave him somewhere to live. Bomboman is themed after lot of different cultures as a reflection of his drumming. I suppose subconsciously my idea was to merge Indian and Native American themes, but of course, this is only in the vaguest sense as it still needs to look Owlboy-esque. As a break from the usual pattern, I'm going to show the whole step by step process of how the house was built from start to finish:

Construction of Bomboman's House

I start off with a vague idea of what I want the interior to look like. I know what the house looks like from the outside, and it needs to follow along that same pattern. I draw the outlines and the colors of the walls with some shading. The interiors in Owlboy are always bright so you can clearly tell where the edges are, but are also somewhat desaturated so the characters will still pop out. Next, I've defined the edges a bit better, but this actually somewhat unusual, as I tend not to start any kind of polishing until the halfway stage towards the end. Woodwork is added (I do woodcarving, so I subconsciously put wood in everything I suppose.) Next up, I jot in the drums, which is the central element in this area. I didn't have a log of it, but I tried several different placements of these drums before I got the idea to put them on a platform in the middle of the house. They had to be centered due to how you use them in the game, and placing them up there also made use of the roof space.

The windows that are visible on the outside are added so I can account for light. Next are some decorative elements to give a sense that there's someone living here. Sometimes, It's important not to get too carried away with this step, simply because it might get overwhelming and the player won't know what to interact with. A fireplace and a teapot is added for some light animations. I'll admit, the teapot is in an odd place, but I figured Bomboman might need something to drink while on the second floor. A drum/cabinet and a dream catcher get sketched in, along with some artwork.

Then comes the polishing phase.

This can sometimes end up taking longer than the everything else combined, mostly since I'm ridiculously perfectionistic about how my pixels look. I try never to add any colors unless I absolutely need to. On one hand because it keeps the file size down, but on the other, as the project continues, I'll end up with gradients that I'll probably never use for any other sprites. I tend to feel that using a certain palette unifies the game better, and considering I've used the same palette in ever part of the game, that seems to be working. Needless restrictions maybe, but it's how I enjoy working.

So that's Bomboman's house. Speaking of Bomboman, his name is still tentative. We're still trying to name this guy, but his pet name at the office has kind of stuck for a while, so we might change that very soon.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2011, 08:04:58 AM »

Everything else except the stairs look great; something bugs me in them. It looks they start next to the back wall and they curve to the background and connect again into the back wall - which would be impossible.

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2011, 09:02:25 AM »

Very interesting, thank you Snake.
I love how the whole thing looks great starting at step 2. I'll remember I can link people to this thread when I want to explain that a good picture looks good from the beginning (polished shit is still shit).
Adrianb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2011, 02:28:12 PM »

Hey everyone,
I meant to post these Minecraft skins outside of our Facebook page, but I forgot.
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9PeDiBFUe-MNGQwOWVjMjctNzk1Ni00ZWI4LWFjMjAtZDNmYjE1YmRmNzVh&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
This should bring you to the shared folder of both Otus and Geddy!
If you don't know how to use skins, rename them to char.png and drop them into your minecraft.jar file.

I had to merge his cloak with his arms and back since using a cape mod might have been overly complicated.

Geddy's larger glasses kind of make him look like a Muppet baby...

Anyway I hope you guys enjoy these.
Now, back to work.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 03:00:06 PM by Adrianb » Logged
Jo-Remi
Level 0

Developer on D-Pad Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »

The team has moved temporarily to Texas, Austin, and we're this second kicked into crunchtime on the development of Owlboy!

I've added a page where we will rapidly update on Owlboy's progress! We've made so many changes these last days that we decided this would be a great way to share everything Owlboy on one place.

I'll also add those changes that we've already made, that we think improve the overall game experience. We do this because we want everyone to be able to see how we think, and how we go about making gamedesign choices. This is ofcourse, purely for the interested.

Owlboy Development Page on DPadStudio.com

Read ye also the newest update to our devblog at our website.

Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »

Hats
Otus can now equip hats, which makes for a really interesting customization system. Not only does the hats make Otus look spiffy, hats also has special abilities tied to them. Usually, the player gains hats by unlocking a new gunner. Hats and gunners can be mixed to create unique abilities.

We're still experimenting with different abilities and how they can combine, but in the end, I think we're going to end up with a good amount of variety.

Chests
Throughout the game, there will be hidden chests that Otus can open. These chests will contain different unique items that help Otus on his quest. To avoid spoilers, we will not reveal the different items Otus can find. Whenever a chest is opened, a cutscene will show which item was found.

Dropped items
Enemies in Owlboy occationally drop items that Otus can collect. We recently decided to add a glowing effect on these items, so that the player can better spot them as they are falling from an enemy. We've considered letting items float in the air as enemies drop them, but decided to let the dropped items fall to the ground as they appear. We're adding a sound to let the player know that an item has appeared.

Gaining quest items
When Otus gains an item from completing a quest, or a reaching a plotpoint, this will be signified by an animation in a typical 'You've got an amazing treasure' fashion! This is to let the player get some useful feedback, whenever an item is gained that can be put to use in the game, or to advance the plotline.

Follow all recent changes at the Owlboy dev page.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

Wow. Wow. Wow. Everything just looks amazing, so, I'm sorry, dear composer, but I just don't think the music lives up to it. At least not the music in the first trailer...

Keep working on this.

MaloEspada
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

hats? HATS?

Kiss Kiss Kiss
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2011, 01:31:51 PM »

So is this an owl themed hat simulator?
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »

Will we be getting continuous patches with new hats after the game is released?
Sakar
« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2011, 02:14:04 PM »

Proof that hats makes every game better
Jo-Remi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »

Good idea. We're planning for all future DLC for Owlboy(and all of our other games for that matter) to be free, if we decide to add content to it after release. Allthough, we're planning to get the game perfect on the first go;)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic