Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:08:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Dolls Master [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dolls Master [FINISHED]  (Read 7190 times)
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2011, 10:21:23 AM »

DOLLS MASTER

Download Dolls Master v 1.01 for Windows

At last, it's finished! Whew, it's the first game I release to the public!  Screamy

There are two spirits trapped inside an abandoned victorian house with the power of controlling little dolls....and they both want to go out! But only one will be able to escape through the window of salvation!
This game it's a mix of platform/action/strategy! You can control a group of five dolls and the main objective is to conquer the base located in front of the window, right in the highest place of the house before the time limit ends! The main feature is that you can control only one doll at once and switch control between them! When a doll is not controlled by you, it will perform a basic action predetermined by its class!
There are 5 different classes:
Base: It's the basic form of the doll, doesn't really do much, just slaps stuff
Warrior: The basic offensive-type doll! Can attack with its sword, even when crouched! While inactive, the warrior will automatically attack any doll that comes near her!
Gundoll: Range-attack type! Keeping pressed the attack button you can decide to aim in front of the doll or to aim upwards! Just release it and the gun will fire! The Gundoll will attack countinously in front of it while inactive!
Builder: The most particular class! Can't attack, but it can build a maximum of 3 walls to block the enemy offensive! When you build a wall, you will notice a small base near it. When you press the attack button when near the base of the wall, the doll will automatically repair the wall, making it more resistant to enemy attacks. Be careful, you can actually attack your own walls in order to destroy them, in case they are in your way!
Ghost: This doll can pass through walls and throw bombs on top the of enemies head! It's probably the most unbalanced class though... While inactive the Ghost will become invisible! Important: the Ghost can't capture the window base...it would be too easy Tongue

The dolls can change class by pressing the Attack button when behind the folding screens located at the start!
Purple-Ghost | Red-Warrior | Green-Gundoll | Yellow-Builder

Controls:

Player 1 (Blue Team)
WASD  Move
G  Jump button
H  Attack Button
J  Change button

Player 2 (Red Team)
Arrows  Move
Numpad1  Jump button
Numpad2  Attack Button
Numpad3  Change button

I made this game in Game Maker, so Windows only...sorry! It's probably unbalanced and bugged as hell and didn't have time to test it throughly so I hope you can help me Smiley

A HUGE thanks to Jorge Boscan for its Assemblee contribution I used for this game...thank you very much!  Grin I used the 4th and 7th song and some of his sound effects!
Thanks to my friends who made the title screen and helped me with the gameplay!  Grin
And thanks to Matt Thorson and his Grandma's Engine..it was very helpful  Smiley

This game is really nothing original, but I hope you can have a little bit of fun with it! I think I explained everything, if not, just tell me!  Smiley Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english!  Tongue

EDIT: v1.01 fixed a few graphical bugs, the game is the same as before!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:20:23 AM by RedSnake » Logged
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 10:34:49 AM »

This sounds great! Looking forward to your mockups 'cause I'm shallow and like pretty graphics Tongue
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »

What a curious idea! Reminds me of Cortex Command, but with a bit more strategy involved. Looking forward to seeing mockups and the like!
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:30 AM »

Thank guys! I don't have much to show yet, I'm in the progress of drawing the initial stuff right now.
The engine is running smoothly for now too!  Smiley I have completely implemented the warrior class but still need to finish the design of the other ones. There's gonna be 4 classes at most. Maybe a special one, like a HUGE Godzilla doll :D
The game is gonna take place inside a victorian abandoned house, so expect EPIC fight inside a kitchen or on a table and LOTS of antique stuff!  Cheesy Since the powers are decided by which clothes the dolls are wearing, they can change them in the dresser placed on top of their base.
That's all for now  Smiley Hope i can post a mockup in 3-4 days!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 07:27:41 AM by RedSnake » Logged
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 07:20:30 AM »

Kiss

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »

I can FINALLY post the final design of the doll!  Giggle

AT LAST, THIS GROUP OF PIXELS YOU ALL WAITED FOR SO LONG!  Durr...?
This is going to be the base of all the dolls that will be usable in the game!
On the right you can see the pixel version t..but I'm still not completely satisfied with it so perhaps I'll change it.  Smiley
I've got an exam coming up in 3 days but then I'll completely focus on my entry  Beg
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »

Not dead yet!  Cool
The game is still in development but i preferred not to make a devlog...
Everything changed a lot actually, now the main objective is to capture a base and hold it until the time limit! In the end the initial design didn't work at all
No mockups yet, sorry!  Facepalm I'm still using placeholder graphics and the code is pretty much done, but needs a lot of cleaning and tuning.
...but I can show you the various classes!  Grin

Starting from the left
Class-less: your standard doll. Doesn't really do much at all
Warrior/Defender/Commander: The basic offensive doll, while inactive this doll can automatically attack any enemy that comes near her, useful for defending a certain area!
Rifledoll: she just..shoots! Even while inactive she continously shoots!
Builder: this doll can't attack...but can build and repairs walls that can be used to defend the base or as a platform!
Ghost: my FAVOURITE class!  Cheesy Can pass through walls and platforms, drops object to disrupt the enemy formations! While inactive this doll will become invisible and invincible! But it takes a lot more damage than the other classes

That's all!  Smiley I'm quite certain I'll be able to release this game in time, but the name will probably change Roll Eyes.."The Master of the Dolls" doesn't sound right anymore...
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 04:53:34 PM »

Whew...finished I guess? I'm really not sure but I'm out of time!  Cheesy Check out the first post!  Wink
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 02:53:50 PM »

The archive in the download is broken, please re-upload.
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:18 AM »

Mmh should work now, thanks!  Smiley
MedO
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:58 AM »

Yes, it's fixed. Thank you Smiley
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

We tried a few rounds of this game the other day. It was a lot of fun but we lost interest before long. At first we were confused about some things but we figured most of them out.

Some thoughts:

We had no idea how to play! Since some of the people in our group liked the visuals enough, we spent the effort to come to this thread to learn how to play. (We only did this for 2 or 3 of the games. In other words this was one of the few games without instructions that made a good enough impression for us to lookup how to play.)

It was a lot of fun to go attack your opponent's "vacant" dolls at their base.

Overall, the whole switching doll thing was a lot of fun, but difficult to switch to the exact doll you wanted. Maybe try a Lost Vikings style of switching? Hold the switch button and press a direction to switch to the character in that direction on the HUD.

Really liked the doll sprites and backgrounds.

Liked the horizontal split screen.

Couldn't figure out what to do at first (especially before we looked up the controls and objective).

Couldn't figure out what we had to do at the window, or how that whole part of the game worked.

One person had trouble figuring out what was a platform and what wasn't.

Attacking could use some tweaking. Firstly, you can stand next to a doll and swing right through them and not register a hit. Try increasing the distance that you can do damage. Also, the attack animation doesn't feel quite right. I'm not sure why. Maybe have the "swing"/"wave" effect stay on the screen a little longer, or appear earlier?

Do you maybe want the title to be Doll Master instead of Dolls Master? "Dolls Master" is a little awkward. Grin

A neat game, it went over well in our group.

Looking through the thread it looks like you have some good ideas! That concept art is adorable! Great stuff. Hope you continue to work on the game. Thanks!
berareu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:00:31 AM »

Ooh man finally someone tried my game, you don't know how much happy you made me  Tears of Joy! Thanks for playing it!  Grin Anyway...

We had no idea how to play! Since some of the people in our group liked the visuals enough, we spent the effort to come to this thread to learn how to play. (We only did this for 2 or 3 of the games. In other words this was one of the few games without instructions that made a good enough impression for us to lookup how to play.)

Yeah i noticed that it was a bit hard to understand how to play when I made some people play it irl! I should have added a readme with the instructions that i wrote for this thread, sorry about that  Tongue
I actually wanted to make some kind of tutorial level or screen but you know..time costraints  Huh?

Overall, the whole switching doll thing was a lot of fun, but difficult to switch to the exact doll you wanted. Maybe try a Lost Vikings style of switching? Hold the switch button and press a direction to switch to the character in that direction on the HUD.

That was my intention but I didn't have the time to make it in time for the deadline but I'll add it in the next version!  Smiley

One person had trouble figuring out what was a platform and what wasn't.

Sorry, that's because i rushed in two days to make all the background graphics and it's hard even for me to recognize the platforms!  Epileptic

Attacking could use some tweaking. Firstly, you can stand next to a doll and swing right through them and not register a hit. Try increasing the distance that you can do damage. Also, the attack animation doesn't feel quite right. I'm not sure why. Maybe have the "swing"/"wave" effect stay on the screen a little longer, or appear earlier?

Mmm the attack felt right to me...like you said the attack animation is probably too fast!  Screamy
It didn't register a hit? Are you sure the other doll wasn't crouching? Because I specifically designed the crouch (down button) to dodge attacks.
Anyway I'll make some fixing like you said and see what happens!

Couldn't figure out what we had to do at the window, or how that whole part of the game worked.

You know what? I've yet to meet someone that understood the window  Cheesy And i wanted it to be the main objective!  Shrug
Players just naturally go towards the enemies and try to defeat them instead of trying to capture the window, but that's because i failed to highlight that keeping control of the base was the focus of the game  Huh? I think i'm going to deeply change the map design in the next version!

Do you maybe want the title to be Doll Master instead of Dolls Master? "Dolls Master" is a little awkward.

The first title was The Master of the Dolls (Metallica reference, hah! Durr...?) but i changed it on the last day because it didn't felt right anymore and just couldn't come up with good names! I'll probably change it again someday  Cheesy

Again, thank you so much for playing and for your useful comments, they helped a lot, I was really losing hope!  Tears of Joy
After I fixed the multiplayer, I'm planning to make a single player story, look forward to it!  Grin
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08:27 PM »

Ooh man finally someone tried my game, you don't know how much happy you made me  Tears of Joy! Thanks for playing it!  Grin Anyway...

Really my pleasure Corny Laugh

Mmm the attack felt right to me...like you said the attack animation is probably too fast!  Screamy
It didn't register a hit? Are you sure the other doll wasn't crouching? Because I specifically designed the crouch (down button) to dodge attacks.
Anyway I'll make some fixing like you said and see what happens!

Definitely go with what feels right to you but this is what I was referring to.

It seemed to me that when the "swing" effect touches the other doll sprite it should be a hit. But that's just my feeling, it's not right or wrong one way or another. It's a subjective thing!

I'm planning to make a single player story, look forward to it!  Grin

I'll look forward to it! Show us whatcha got.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic