Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:20:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHack, Slash, Loot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Hack, Slash, Loot  (Read 53063 times)
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »

This looks better and better. Magical pork chops!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 03:02:09 AM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I like the oblique view.. I'm just used to full height walls such as in Laser-Squad / Chaos Engine, etc.. Smiley
Popeye
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »

I think it looks awesome, I love this minimalistic style and also the palette really works for me. Itching to play this.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 04:50:23 PM »

Not had much chance to work on this. My fiancée was rushed to hospital last week so I've spent most of my time visiting her. However, I have been working on a few of the more mundane aspects of the game to take my mind off things. I put in a basic front end. It's only a simple title screen, but it'll do for now. I put in the graphical effects for the quest 'briefing' and quest completion. I've provisionally put in some new playable characters. Nothings balanced yet so they're still subject to change, but I fancied a change from playing as the Archer all the time while testing. Eventually I'm hoping to have between 16-32 playable characters.

I also had a little break through with the games structure. I managed to throw out a huge chunk of my to do list by replacing it with a simpler more elegant solution. This means the project might be further along than I thought. Not getting too excited about it yet. Gonna wait until the dust settles and make sure I've not broken anything first.

Pocketninja
Level 0

Pocketninja - Kurt Waldowski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2011, 09:24:49 AM »

I'm loving the way this is looking, and you seem to be progressing quite fast.

I'm sorry to hear about your fiancée  Concerned I hope she gets well soon!

Good to hear your still truckin' on. Keep it comin!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »

As a community we should send your fiancée a get well soon card!

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 12:15:15 AM »

I am watching this closely. I love the graphics and am eagerly anticipating the mouse UI. If you feel like sharing details I'm really interested in how the UI works. I've been obsessing over the touch interface in my game and trying hard to simplify without losing any capability. Maybe we can share interface tricks? Regardless, best of luck. Can't wait to play!
PS. Hope your girl is well.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
AlexMdle
Level 0

Keep Your Dignity

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 10:53:10 AM »

Oh god this looks sexy... Addicted

lapsus
Level 1

The Grey Tower

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »

ive never really given any roguelike game a chance.. but this game so far looks great enough to convince me to try - i love the style!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 06:09:49 AM »

Thanks to those that wished my fiancée well. She's not quite 100% yet, but she is recovering well. That means I'm back working on this, and I'm going a little into crunch mode to try and get something out there for people to have a go with.

Resource management
The big addition since my last log is a dynamic asset loader, which can handle realtime alterations to the games resources. The realtime aspect won't really come into play outside of my testing, but does mean the game is more than capable of handling post release asset updates, additions and changes. This also nails down the games file structure/handling ready for creating releasable versions for testing. The other changes to the game are mainly internal optimisations and general code tidying. Hmm. This isn't the most exciting DevLog post. Yawn

On the subject of releasing a test build, the first round of testing will probably be organised through my Twitter account(@OddballDave), so keep an eye out there if you're interested in getting in on the the first public build.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:37:09 AM by Oddball » Logged

eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 06:23:26 AM »

On the subject of releasing a test build, the first round of testing will probably be organised through my Twitter account(@OddballDave), so keep an eye out there if you're interested in getting in on the the first public build.

Aiyo!! I'm in China and twitter is banned because its... counterstrike ... revolutionary, er something? Make an exception... pretty please?

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2011, 08:24:47 AM »

Hey I just wanted to say the game looks great and I was wondering if you had any plans for multiplayer on or offline so you could go into dungeons cooperatively.
CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »

reminds me of catacomb kids
both look similar/awesome Tiger

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »

@ecloctocrat: I'll try and work something out for the TIGFolk to have a go at testing.

@Sean A.: As a matter of fact when I was brainstorming for this at the start of development I was banding around the idea of having a four or five man party of characters. Decided against it in the end as it didn't sit right with the turn based nature of the game. If someone is dragging their feet the rest have to wait for them.

Unacceptable behaviour
I decided it was time to rework the enemy AI to make the enemies tactics a little less predictable. I ripped out the old code and rewrote it from scratch, and it's turned out great. The enemy's behaviour is formulated based upon three elements, the creature's intelligence, the creature's combat prowess, and the current situation.

There are four levels of creature intelligence, none/animal, dumb/bloodlust, normal, and smart.
Durr...? None/animal is for animals, like giant rats, or creature with no intelligence at all, like zombies and golems. Creatures with this intelligence will usual charge when attacked or threatened.
Angry Dumb/bloodlust is for unintelligent monsters, like Trolls, or bloodthirsty creatures, like barbarians. Dumb isn't much of a step up from none, but dumb monsters will alert comrades and formulate tactics with them, like cutting of the players retreat.
Smiley Normal is the most common intellect level which most enemies will have. Normal has a far greater range of tactics, and can even decide to pickup objects from fallen comrades if it will improve their situation. Other tactics are hanging back and using ranged weapons, or retreating to gather more help.
Tiger Smart is reserved for the most intelligent characters you'll encounter, mainly bosses and their kind. It isn't much different to normal, but those small variances make all the difference. Smart monsters are more interested in self preservation than the others and will order comrades to wear down the player before endangering themselves.

The creature's combat prowess is based upon its skill when compared to the player. Enemies weaker than the player are more likely to hesitate, hang back or even retreat. Whereas monsters stronger than the player will be braver and more likely to engage the player quickly, even if that means the player will get the first strike.

The final aspect, situation, is based solely on the situation the player and enemies find themselves in at that moment in time. For example a cornered enemy isn't going to hang back when faced with a player armed with a bow, he'd just be pelted with arrows. He's more likely to charge the player.

Using these three factors the enemy have a rich arsenal of behaviours that throw up some interesting combats. Here's a few examples from my testing, two goblins with normal intelligence aided by two giant rats with animal intellect. One goblin sports a bow so he hung back and laid down covering fire, the other equipped with a longsword hung back just long enough to let the two giant rats take the first few hits before joining the fray.

Another example, I opened a door to reveal a goblin rager, with bloodlust, who immediately charged at me. I wasn't too worried as I easily outmatched him, but unbeknownst to me he had alerted an unarmed hobgoblin, normal intellect, who wasn't in my view. The fight with the rager only lasted a couple of turns but in that time the hobgoblin had managed to alert more enemies to my presence. Before I realised what had happened there where now about ten enemies bearing down on me and my situation needless to say had become hopeless.

Wow! That turned into a wall of text. As you can probably gather I'm quite pleased with how the enemy AI worked out. In other news I've also been working on the visual cues for the various actions characters can perform. Attack animations have been in for a while, but other things like, item pick ups, drinking potions, etc. had no visual cue to show they had happened. They're not all in yet but I've got most of it done. I've been trying to avoid using particle effects for any of it, but some of my visual effects aren't up to standard so I my have to relent and have a bespoke few particle effects. Next I might have a go at sound, although I haven't even considered what I'm going to do for music yet.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:01:17 AM by Oddball » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »

Sounds good. ^_^
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »

Good? It sounds Brilliant! Shocked
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2011, 01:59:09 PM »

I was trying to think of a way to do turn based multiplayer but I can't. Damn. I would love to play this with friends.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 01:51:13 PM »

I'm just polishing, optimising, and bug fixing at the moment so to make up for the lack of an interesting update I shall post a gameplay video. Let me know what you think.

Gameplay video:

Conker534
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 02:42:20 PM »

Amazing. I hope you can give us a price soon. I:
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »

I can not wait for this. looks really exciting. I have a couple questions though.

1. Is there any XP or is it all gear based?
2. Who will be doing the Music?
3. Will it be released and then added to like Dwarf Fortress or once its finished its done?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic