Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:53:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Planetscape: Tournament
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Planetscape: Tournament  (Read 3519 times)
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »

I have no time for this competition but I'm making a thread anyway.

My original idea, which is something I've been planning on making eventually anyway, is too huge for now. So I came up with this other thing and developed it a bit in chat with Hempuli, broest of bros. It's kind of similar to his awesome idea so our brainstormings are great.

Basically:
  • Ninja-type action platformer
  • Players use money to construct dungeons containing traps and monsters to protect their treasures and money chest
  • Players can raid the dungeons of other players to steal cash, etc.

Probably flash+sql (player interaction is asynchronous so it makes sense).
Obviously the system design is pretty important in a game with player content and an economy; player dungeons need to be solveable, cash needs to enter the system somehow, and I want to encourage players to design compelling dungeons rather than cheesy cheese ones. I think I've figured out elegant solutions for those.

I'm so excited by the idea that I think I'll make it after the competition even if I don't have time during it (which I'm 90% sure I won't). Maybe I'll make a start at the GGJ this weekend if I go because fuck themes.

Update:
DINOSAUR DUNGEONS (maybe)

Because if I'm going to have spooky castle or Egyptian pyramids or Greek ruins tilesets there's no reason they couldn't be dinosaur pyramids full of dinosaur mummies and also dinosaur equivalents of those other things.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:42:46 AM by Radix » Logged
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:55:55 AM »

I've had ideas like this forever.

For the "solvable" issue, I had imagined two solutions:
- You have to solve your own level once before it's saved
- You only start getting wins after at least one person solves your dungeon

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:19:55 AM »

sorry but i'm already using that title for a commercial game I've announced on the What are you working on? thread Undecided Could you please change it as it's temporary?

I did even a logo back then and I'm using some of the assets for my Versus compo game as well: http://moonloop.vg/uploads/dungeoncraft1.png

here's my versus compo game Smiley
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17350.0

I was going to use that name and logo for it too, but changed my mind only to not create confusion with the bigger, commercial project I'm working on.

Thanks in advance and sorry! Also that dungeon building idea but for a 2d platformer sounds rad!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:33:35 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:38:49 AM »

Hahaha no I think I'll finish my game before yours and then aggressively defend the trademark.
ps there are a bunch of things with this bad title already.

Edit:
Okay you changed your post to be more polite. I'll edit the title when I think of a name. Feel free to suggest something.

For the "solvable" issue, I had imagined two solutions:
- You have to solve your own level once before it's saved
- You only start getting wins after at least one person solves your dungeon
Yeah, I'm going to former route. You'll need to enter your redesigned base and reach your chest, then exit again, to pay the dungeon renovation contractors. If you can't do that they'll put it back the way it was.

There are also special abilities which, once acquired, need to be placed in your base before you can equip them, which you do by entering your own base and touching them. That way players have the option of building alternate paths that contain their abilities. You don't lose an ability if someone raids your base and steals it but there is a slight penalty to encourage basic defence. These aren't tested for solve-ability, so it's possible to place rare abilities behind walls just to showcase them, but some abilities may allow players to get to them anyway.

Additionally, monsters (but not traps) placed in your dungeon will generate variable amounts of dosh when they kill a player. So besides raiding you earn money my having a well-designed dungeon that attracts players, but which is challenging enough to kill most of them.

(Certain really fierce monsters will actually cost you money when they defeat a player, so they're better used as a last line of defence before your cash chest.)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:30:03 AM »

Being an unpolite jerk in a "cease & desist" style wasn't my scope Smiley
I just asked if you could do it, you can keep the name of course, but I'll surely use it too.

I agree it's not an original name but fits well my concept (a dungeon keeper\dwarf fortress game with adventure elements).

First names for you to use I can think of are: Dungeon Dweller, Crypt Construct or we can switch titles, you can use Depths of Despair, or Depths of Doom (could be a nice name as your game is actually a side-viewed, vertical game, mine has floors but no real depth) and I'll change mine to my own old name.

Hempuli game is great, I'd love to see a fantasy take on that kind of stuff!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:04:52 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:54:24 AM »

You both suck, it's just names.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:38:56 AM »

You both suck, it's just names.
Sure thing, Janet.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:46:12 AM »

Hey sos, thanks for the contribution! Go fuck yourself.

Eclipse: relax bro, it was only ever a temporary WIP title. I have no intention of keeping it or doing anything with it. My initial reply was a joke because I found your original post offensive. I should have deleted it rather than risk being misunderstood.
Sorry to have gotten you worked up; I wasn't aware of your game but I thought I had made it abundantly clear (with both the words "temporary" and "shit" in the thread title) that it is just a temporary name. There was never any need for you to stake a claim. I'll try to think of a replacement tonight before this thread gets any worse.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »

How about Greatest Of All Time: Special Edition. Or GOAT:SE for short?
Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 07:13:04 AM »

Hey sos, thanks for the contribution! Go fuck yourself.

Hey, I didn't mean too... Gentleman
No offence, mate, please don't hate me.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »

As we discussed earlier this is basically the best idea ever. Enough said! Eclipse, I hope you're aware that the whole dungeoncraft name idea blatantly rips off several game names I have had in my mind recently! Be ready for some serious suing for using my thoughts as inspiration.

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »

Sounds interesting. It seems the concept really hinges on how the mechanics will encourage players to make fun and not frustrating levels.

I guess demon dwarfs with teal shirts could be the indigenous enemies. You could call it... MineKeeper. *cackle*
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

That was nice of you Radix, thanks a whole lot! Smiley
Also I approve for the use of Dinosaurs. Dinos makes everything better!
(even if I was a bit sad discovering that velociraptors were basically big carnivorous chickens)

Dragonmaw
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:54 PM »

Because if I'm going to have spooky castle or Egyptian pyramids or Greek ruins tilesets there's no reason they couldn't be dinosaur pyramids full of dinosaur mummies and also dinosaur equivalents of those other things.

Compo over. Radix wins.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic