Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:42:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWe Slay Monsters: A roguelike with a poker-esque combat mechanic [DONE!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: We Slay Monsters: A roguelike with a poker-esque combat mechanic [DONE!]  (Read 10753 times)
iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »

Real life has taken it's toll on my indie development time, but I'm still working on Fury.

I have been focusing on getting at least a basic version of the world map done, and then I'm going to work on a very basic random dungeon generator. I really want to get the flow of the game down, the idea that you're building up the Fury Academy to train adventurers.

I have also been spending some time on balance tweaks to the dungeon game itself, and ways to make the playing of cards useful and interesting.  I have gotten some great feedback from some folks, but I'd still love to hear more about what works and what doesn't with the alpha version I posted:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/games/fury/

Thanks to everyone that's taken the time to download and play.

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »

So, I have done some soul-searching, and decided I need to take a few steps back to move forward.

I outlined my new approach here:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/2011/04/elegant-simplicity/

The TL:DR version: Cards are hard. Long live cards! And there's too much text.

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 05:11:03 PM »

Following up on my last post, I have started work on simplifying the interface.  Since this is a game I really want to play on my phone, I figured it would force me to keep the interface simple if I worked on the IOS UI and interaction first, and then port it back to work on PC/Mac. It's much easier to go from smaller -> bigger, but staying focused on small make sure I keep everything simple and easy to play with as little interface cruft as possible.

More information on what the interface bits are here:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/2011/04/prototyping-interfaces-is-fun/

Now, to work on actually making this interface, instead of prototyping it!

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »

Just a quick update -- work still progresses, focusing on the iOS version. Much of the core gameplay has been implemented, working on the animation systems and card combos.  I've given up trying to predict when I'll finish, but I keep plugging away, and I've very pleased with where the game is at right now.  Especially given that I'm learning Unity/c# as part of this process (all of my other games have been written with java/slick2d), I feel pretty good about stuff.

I'm hoping to put together a gameplay video that shows some stuff off, but no promises Smiley

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 04:33:41 PM »

Just posted a updated devlog:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/2011/05/long-time-no-post/

I also updated the first post in the thread with a new screenshot of the iOS version I'm working on.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »

This looks really cool! I noticed you are making it for iPhone. Keep it up,it looks like it  will be one of my must buys!
iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »

Been too busy lately to post much about this, but I'm still working on it. Here's a new screenshot:

Also a couple more screenies over on my devlog:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/2011/07/work-in-fact-continues/

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 07:30:21 PM »

Work continues, lo these many months later. In the meantime, here's some monsters from the game.

I seriously fail at maintaining a devlog. Oh well. More time to spend coding!

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 06:02:15 AM »

I am hoping this continues to exist.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 07:02:27 AM »

been reading through this and like what I see so far. I am also making a iOS roguelike and I hope we get to see more on the platform. I really like what you are doing with the cards. I also think that the idea of combos like hands in poker is pretty cool. it would also be easy to show what does what with simple graphics. 3 red squares = fireball. One thing I noticed would adding abilities complicate the game a little more? or will these abilities be strictly based around the cards. originaly I thought the slots up top were like save slots. where you could save a card for a later turn. but that would probably complicate things as then its like you have a hand of nine cards instead of 5. will you be dealt 5 cards each hand or do unused cards carry over?

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »

been reading through this and like what I see so far. I am also making a iOS roguelike and I hope we get to see more on the platform. I really like what you are doing with the cards. I also think that the idea of combos like hands in poker is pretty cool. it would also be easy to show what does what with simple graphics. 3 red squares = fireball. One thing I noticed would adding abilities complicate the game a little more? or will these abilities be strictly based around the cards. originaly I thought the slots up top were like save slots. where you could save a card for a later turn. but that would probably complicate things as then its like you have a hand of nine cards instead of 5. will you be dealt 5 cards each hand or do unused cards carry over?

Thanks for the interest!

Right now, you get 5 cards at a time.  The slots at the top are for spells, which are one-time use, and can effect the cards, or do other things. For example, there is a "discard" spell, which lets you discard 1 -5 cards from your hand. Or a heal spell. Or a teleport spell.

The card mechanics don't strictly adhere to the rules of poker, they are more "inspired by" poker. So, you can have a flush with only 3 elemental cards.

I'm going to post some new screenshots in a bit.

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 07:41:27 PM »

I posted a new devlog with some screenshots:

http://wwflgames.com/index.php/2012/02/new-round-of-screenshots/

I'll include a couple of them here:

The Fury Academy, where you upgrade and unlock buildings, which unlock new classes, abilities and equipment for your heroes.

The hero has picked up a nifty new vest, and cleared a couple of rooms. A mini-boss can be seen in the next room.  Mini-bosses are named monsters who drop special loot!

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2013, 10:38:46 AM »

We're ready for Alpha testing.  If you're interested in helping out, and have an iOS device, please sign up on our forums to get access to the alpha test:

http://wwflgames.com/forums

The game is fully functional, the first alpha is focused on gameplay balance and bug squashing.

Thanks!

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »

Just uploaded a new patch to TestFlight, and we're still looking for some Alpha testers if anyone is interested, just need an iOS device.

Here are the patch notes:

0.9.3 Patch Notes

Features:
=========
  • On the phone, monsters far away from the player don't move now during the monster turn to speed up turns (ipad still moves all monsters)
  • "Monster Turn" indicator has been made bigger and moved to the top of the screen to make it more obvious why you can't do anything
  • Increased the size of the Monster sheet to allow more information; added more information about the monsters, including how much damage they will do if they were to attack the hero
  • Added text to earned badges on the win screen so you know why they were earned
  • Added version number to main screen
  • Changed the ways games are saved to be more resiliant to change.
  • Added a tutorial to explain basic gameplay
Bugs:
=====
  • Fixed a bug with new aggro indicators where monsters that could already see you but weren't aggressive changed to be aggressive and the aggro indicator would not start blinking
  • Fixed a bug where even though you would win or lose a dungeon and be taken back to the main screen, when you re-started the game you would be back in the dungeon with no way to win.
  • Fixed a bug where the rogue description would show the last line from other characters
Note: All progress will be reset when you start this game and you will need to go through the new tutorial.  I'd love to get some feedback on the tutorial -- too much? too little?

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:40 PM »

Another patch has been pushed to alpha testers; see patch notes below.  Still looking for some folks to help out with alpha testing.  The game is fully playable; the work now is on balancing and polishing and finishing out some content.

0.9.4 Patch Notes
=================

Features
--------
  • Heroes can skip turns now via the radial menu (using this ability does not effect badges)
  • Critical Hits only do 150% damage instead of 200% damage
  • Added a level cap of level 10 for all heroes
  • Altered the way luck works and how it impacts various parts of the game
Bugs
----
  • Fixed a bug where monsters could die twice (you'd hear their death sound twice and two blood splats would appear)
  • Since 0.9.3 when you beat a dungeon you wouldn't get a new town revealed on the map (oops)
  • I *think* I fixed the thing where you'd start a dungeon in the middle of no-where. 
Misc
----
  • Added dungeon length and difficulty to the "menu" option in the dungeon - these will be helpful when debugging map problems
  • Coin animation will show a max of 10 animated coins (getting a lot of gold could take a long time for the animation to play)

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 02:17:02 AM »

That was a hell of a jump in terms of post dates.

Looks pretty neat, I'll try it out when I get home! Gomez

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 03:04:32 AM »

That was a hell of a jump in terms of post dates.

Looks pretty neat, I'll try it out when I get home! Gomez

Yeah, I've been terrible about posting progress.  I've been working on it this whole time, just in stealth mode Smiley

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 03:20:19 AM »

Yeah, I've been terrible about posting progress.  I've been working on it this whole time, just in stealth mode Smiley

Post some, man. Keep us updated Coffee

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »

Just uploaded a new build to TestFlight, patch notes below:

Patch Notes, Version 0.9.5

Features
========

• Water and lava pits are back
  • Walking Squid has been removed as a monster, to make a grand re-appearance at a later date as a Boss
  • Icons have been added to the Item Shop in the Academy Screen
  • A few tutorial screens have been added the first time you visit the Academy Screen
  • Combos has been added for 4 & 5 of a kind flushes (same face, same suit)
  • Card damage and combo damage has been rebalanced, as well as monster health and defense
Bugs
====
  • Fixed a bug where monster buffs/debuff descriptions would sometimes poke off the edge of the monster description popup
*** Note, this version will reset any progress and you'll need to go through the tutorials again ***
The rebalancing of card combo damage and monsters may have been drastic, I need feedback on how this effects gameplay, please
share anything you notice on the forums.

Thanks for playing!

iamagiantnerd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:03 PM »

Just posted a new patch. Also, we have a web version available now, so if you don't have an iOS device you can still help!  Sign up on our forums to get in the alpha:  http://wwflgames.com/forums

Version 0.9.6 Patch Notes
=========================

Saved dungeons, maps and academies will be wiped with this patch due to rebalancing of monsters.

Features
--------

• Monsters have been rebalanced
  • Boss should be much easier (but not too easy)
  • In the shop, item chooser and level up screens, there is now a way to view your character stats
  • Finishing the tutorials no longer grant badges
Bugs
----

• On the ipad, the map wasn't properly centered when clicking on a city
  • On the ipad, the map didn't rotate correctly behind the main menu
  • Aggro indicators weren't properly being reset between dungeons
  • Effects (like fire) weren't properly reset between dungeons
  • Monsters that die with the frozen status effect were throwing an error
  • Changed floating text to add a delay between damage display when more than one damage happens at the same time
  • If a monster regenerated, it wasn't properly showing floating text
  • When resuming a game with a monster that had multiple poison effects applied, the game would hang

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic