Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:49:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMoldering on 8-bit Funding.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Moldering on 8-bit Funding.  (Read 9016 times)
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »

That said, I also like the content I've seen so far. I really like the Touhou-like platforming gameplay.

Thanks!

I'd suggest some death animations, though ;p

This is why we need donations so we can buy the art assets we need.

Now accepting donations!  Wink
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 01:09:54 PM »

I don't have the money for that, but why don't you just ask for art contributions? (if that is really what you want?)

I wouldn't mind trying to make some death animations, but I'd need the original sprite (I'm not supah skilled, like other people you'll find around here, though)
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2011, 01:30:38 PM »

I don't have the money for that, but why don't you just ask for art contributions? (if that is really what you want?)

Free internet folk are fickle - you'll get boatloads of offers for help, but then when the time comes to actually do something you'd find that suddely their cats died, or they just started college, or their mouse wheel broke and they can't do any art without a mouse wheel.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 02:10:59 PM »

It will also lead to a pretty inconsistent assortment of assets, in terms of style and quality.
dafty
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:18 AM »

anyone who thinks developing countries are too poor to play videogames has never actually been to one or doesn't actually know anyone in one.

You're so fucking stupid it's sad, Paul. Of course there's probably not a single country where no video game was ever played, but Christ, just look at what you just said! I like how you qualify your vast amount of knowledge by referring to a friend in China and one in Indonesia. You have anecdotal evidence from people you've met online, who needs statistics, right?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/med_tel_percap-media-televisions-per-capita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Global_Digital_Divide1.png
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 03:01:13 AM »

Free internet folk are fickle - you'll get boatloads of offers for help, but then when the time comes to actually do something you'd find that suddely their cats died, or they just started college, or their mouse wheel broke and they can't do any art without a mouse wheel.

You could still make a thread, and ask people to contribute whatever, thus enabling you to choose among those that look good and fit your style *shrug*
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »

You could still make a thread, and ask people to contribute whatever, thus enabling you to choose among those that look good and fit your style *shrug*

Doesn't work that way, you can't just pick a bunch of graphics from one pile and a bunch of graphics from another and have all your needs covered with great looking graphics.

The graphics should fit well with one another and should cover everything you need for the game - and people generally don't want to work on someone else's idea for free.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

Er, if we take the aforementioned example of death animations; I'm pretty sure that it's not supah difficult for someone to use the base sprite of your character to create an animation of that very same character dying. Really.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2011, 02:34:22 PM »

It's a gamble, you're not guaranteed to get all the assets you require and you are guaranteed they will be of varying quality, whereas if you have enough money to pay an artist, you are guaranteed to get everything you need at a consistent quality. And you only have the one guy to credit. And if you remove the assumption that you're doing 32x32 pixel art (let's say you're doing a low-poly 3D game or even a high definition 3D title) you've suddenly increased the effort people need to make to give you free art assets, reducing the pool of useful contributors while also making differences in quality probably a lot more apparent.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2011, 04:36:49 PM »

Just take a look at Indie Brawl. It has its own category, on the front page of the TIGForums, and after being there for years, it still hasn't gotten all of the graphics that it needs. It just isn't as easy to get free art as it is to pay somebody to do it for you.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 12:29:05 PM »

This is true, and it's why I'm raising funds to pay for art assets. I tried rallying together a bunch of volunteers to do the art for the game and I have one world that's a mesh-up of varying quality and styles. It just won't work. Not to mention all but one of the volunteers have abandoned the project. Mostly because on top of programming, designing, and promoting the game (e.g. keeping the blog updated) I can't find the time to dictate to all these people the work that needs to be done for them specifically.

With that said I spent some of my own money on an artist a little while back  when I had some to spare and he returned two complete worlds of great, consistent quality and style. With money I can pay him (or someone very similar) to redo the mix-and-match world, and to finish the other 6 that need to be done. Besides, from an outside perspective, if you really want to help, laying down 25 dollars to the project and getting some sweet rewards isn't that bad of a deal if you really think the project is meaningful.
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »

Laying down 25 dollars to the project
Meaningful how and why?

Why not spend twice that on a huge extravaganza game offering the latest graphics, multiplayer worlds, gameplay designed by long-standing professionals and supported by huge corporations in the case of bugs?

Sounds like an awful lot to spend for an indie title that isn't even released.

I think this kind of thing is going to get more common and not less common, and that while my threshold of irritation for this kind of behavior may be rather low, more and more people will become annoyed with it as it becomes more common.

Why not panhandle for a few days? 

Or would you be embarrassed standing by a highway offramp with a cardboard sign?
ink.inc
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »

stuff

No need to be an asshole about it.
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2011, 04:09:46 PM »

Suggestion: If you don't like my opinion, don't read it.

How's that sound?
ink.inc
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »

Suggestion: If you don't like my opinion, don't read it.

How's that sound?

Using the same reasoning, here's another suggestion:

If you don't like what these people are doing, don't whine about it.

How's that sound?

That having been said, I don't necessarily disagree with your everything in your post. There's some qualms I have about 8bit funding. I just don't feel the need to personally attack these folks and make TIGS a less pleasant place to be.

Ultimately, just chillax. The world isn't going to end just because these folks are searching for alternate income streams.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:22:26 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Ultimately, just chillax

Ultimately, don't insult people you don't know under your real name, bucko.
ink.inc
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »

Yeah... it's probably not the best idea.  Who, Me?
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2011, 12:17:24 AM »

Come on now valis you made your point 4 pages ago, why are you still derailing this thread? If there are some philanthropic people out there that want to help fund a freeware game then 8-Bit Funding gives them an opportunity to do just that. We get that you don't like it, and that you'd rather spend your money elsewhere, can't you just leave it at that? If you want to carry on your vendetta against 8-Bit Funding then why not take your objections to the 8-Bit Funding thread and leave James_M.D.T. out of it.

tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2011, 01:06:42 AM »

Why not spend twice that on a huge extravaganza game offering the latest graphics, multiplayer worlds, gameplay designed by long-standing professionals and supported by huge corporations in the case of bugs?

Can't you say that about almost any indie game tho (in terms of production values per $-cost)?

Also notice that tickets to indie films normally cost the same as tickets to Hollywood blockbusters with orders of magnitude larger budgets (and better production values).

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2011, 01:56:57 AM »

Laying down 25 dollars to the project
Meaningful how and why?

Sounds like an awful lot to spend for an indie title that isn't even released.

I think this kind of thing is going to get more common and not less common, and that while my threshold of irritation for this kind of behavior may be rather low, more and more people will become annoyed with it as it becomes more common.

Why not panhandle for a few days? 

Or would you be embarrassed standing by a highway offramp with a cardboard sign?
You've been a massive dick hole about this since the beginning vallis and you should be ashamed of yourself. There are ways of presenting your opinion without being insulting and rude. You don't deserve replies to your posts.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic