Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 12:26:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334288 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1280 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:43 AM »

Thank you for trying out the demo! I can understand that.
The tutorial is just to make sure people know all the controls, mostly. It also explains certain things people might not be able to notice without being told, like (only in the version I havent released yet,) pressing one of the function keys will toggle window size, collecting crystals can refill your health, things like that. In the current version Im working on -which will be what will be publicly playable when I update the demo- you can skip through the tutorial text at your own pace, so it can go by pretty quickly without you having to wait.

Also, just to make it more than reading text on a screen, I added some doodles and things to each slide.

Does this ease up the tedium of the tutorial room a little? Also remember that it asks "is this your first time playing the game"? so you're only really meant to view that tutorial once, at least.

Thank you for the compliments! Im glad you like the game!

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: September 11, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »

While I'm not entirely certain what mechanics need explaining, I feel like the controls thing can be relegated to a menu section instead, and just have the first level start in a blank zone for people who don't look at the controls screen to figure out whats going on. The crystal one can be handled by forcing a hit (dropping an enemy on the player or something) and then laying out a crystal w/ emphasis on the health bar when picked up. I'm also just really averse to text in tutorials because, in my experience, the people who need them just skip them completely. Shrug

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1282 on: September 11, 2015, 05:23:14 AM »

I like it, solely because it reminds me of Kirby Superstar and Neo Geo games :P

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1283 on: September 11, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »

Sorry for not updating in a while, here is a new enemy I made. I've also been working a lot more on fixing and refining everything that was pointed out so far, Also something that will add another layer to the full game.
Whoa, I thought it was a boss or new story important character due to how good it looks!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »

the shopkeeper looks much better now, gave him a full makeover
...I thought the shopkeeper was a woman

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1285 on: September 11, 2015, 10:34:11 AM »

rare means it'll give a rare ability, and you might not ever see the enemy itself!
I love rare enemies and its frames! Smiley

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1286 on: September 11, 2015, 02:57:51 PM »

While I'm not entirely certain what mechanics need explaining, I feel like the controls thing can be relegated to a menu section instead, and just have the first level start in a blank zone for people who don't look at the controls screen to figure out whats going on. The crystal one can be handled by forcing a hit (dropping an enemy on the player or something) and then laying out a crystal w/ emphasis on the health bar when picked up. I'm also just really averse to text in tutorials because, in my experience, the people who need them just skip them completely. Shrug
I understand some mechanics could use explaining because of watching many people's playthroughs of the demo. A lot of people don't understand what the crystals do or how they work, a lot of people dont realize different abilities are differently colored, and try to swap out the same ability on the first stage (this is now pointed out in the tut). Again, all of this IS skippable, but its there so that there's no excuse for not knowing how to play.
I'm definitely not going to force a hit on the player either, especially since I know some people like to try and play without ever taking a hit.

I like it, solely because it reminds me of Kirby Superstar and Neo Geo games Tongue
the yes/no screen is a direct reference to KSS, so Im glad!

Whoa, I thought it was a boss or new story important character due to how good it looks!
Thanks! Nope, it's a normal enemy.
everybody seemed to. Same with people assuming Jack is male.
rare means it'll give a rare ability, and you might not ever see the enemy itself!
I love rare enemies and its frames! Smiley
Thank you! I had fun designing and pixeling it

Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: September 11, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »

I'm definitely not going to force a hit on the player either, especially since I know some people like to try and play without ever taking a hit.
I didn't think of that! Fair enough. Looks great!  Beer!

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: September 12, 2015, 07:02:30 AM »

everybody seemed to. Same with people assuming Jack is male.
WOAH! Jack isn't Male?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: September 12, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

Found in the art forums, lol a bit

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: September 13, 2015, 06:05:28 AM »

Hah nice find! Coincidentally, I recently added phone lines to the background of a few stages that look like that one

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 14, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »

Hey, Raku, not to be too intrusive, but are you a native Japanese speaker?
I was curious, considering the game has a Japanese option.
Also, Jack isn't male? (Though, Jack is a skeleton, and skeletons don't normally have genders, as far as I know  Cheesy)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1292 on: September 15, 2015, 01:39:26 AM »

nah, again Jack isnt male or a skeleton

And no Im not a native Japanese speaker.
(also, Skeletons do have genders actually, the pelvis is different for males and females)

Also I've been working on some one-use attacks, and I think they'll be very well-recieved when they're finally found by players

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1293 on: September 15, 2015, 03:55:39 AM »

also eye sockets, which tend to be much rounder in female craniums so... Wizard

Anyway everything you post is great and you should feel good. Looking forward to this game a lot and it's a delight following its progress.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: September 15, 2015, 06:07:28 AM »

Thank you!
I wish I could show more of my current work, but it's all secret stuff right now. Next up I've got another new gimmick stage idea, having to do with gravity (not like you're thinking right now though, I swear), it will prominently feature one of the two new one-shot abilities. Meaning I'll be able to finally let people see it!

Vovosunt
Level 0

Lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 15, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »

Wait... what?...

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 15, 2015, 08:19:36 AM »

the face on jack in the "strong enough impact can dislodge skull" picture is adorable.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 15, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »

Just because the shop keeper is not chested mean it's not a woman either (although  RakuGaki didn't confirm either way, just commented on assumption). I know the drawing convention up there is the shoulder of a male, but can shoulder trump face (although manga face is debatable as long as gender is involved)? The hip can still a different story Tongue

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 15, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »

shop keeper looks like it has a bosom to me.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1299 on: September 15, 2015, 03:03:54 PM »

shop keeper looks like it has a bosom to me.

thats because Vovosunt edited my sprite to make it female for some reason. The shopkeeper is male. Please don't make edits of my graphics.

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic