Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:02:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334156 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: October 28, 2015, 09:18:22 PM »

Gaddomn those design are good, electric guys <3 !!

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: October 30, 2015, 09:12:39 AM »

so i had a friend play through the demo too and both of us agree that dead heat is really hard, this is primarily because we cant tell where things are going to be in relation to us. maybe if there were some kind of "lanes" to give perspective that could help us. also, just a funny aside for me but i thought it'd be worth mentioning, my friend thought the gun thats dropped was a hazard the first couple of times it was dropped.
TammiDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: November 02, 2015, 01:43:29 AM »

Came here from the pixel-art thread. I like your style Smiley Following ^^
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1363 on: November 02, 2015, 05:51:31 AM »

@gunswordfist, thanks for all the feedback! Im glad you're enjoying the new stuff so far!
@Jimym, thank you!
@banannaman, I see. Im sure I could figure out a way to put in "lanes" in some form or another.
@TammiDev, thank you! I appreciate it!

speaking of that thread, I forgot to post this here

little angel that will pop up when you walk through certain invisible triggers in a row, basically just be lucky and touch an invisible flag, she pops up and gives a bunch of crystals as a reward!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1364 on: November 02, 2015, 07:02:18 PM »

Anytime!

Ah, so this is where the fruition of those Sonic 1 thoughts! I can't wait to see this.

Edit: I see you really toned down the robot that gives you the laser powerup's projectiles. I missed how much it used to fire. lol I of course still love the armored fish level's music and the level's music that follows it. Bear ears guy disappeared on me after trying for so long to kill him  Cry Weapons like the chainsaw (I love the gas + drill combo, btw. Possibly a new fav weapon) have enemies stay alive (in limbo?) and their hit animation until you take your weapon off of them. I forget if it's a real problem like they can still hurt you during that animation though. I played and beat the gravity level. I like it. Especially since it has no bottomless pits to worry about lol. And I love the level's boss' expressions. And now I'm past Sharpened Sticks.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 09:41:54 PM by gunswordfist » Logged

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: November 03, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »

another thing from friend testing, he found a glitch where if you jump right at the beginning of dead heat you can get stuck in the air and not be hit by anything except the trees, i have confirmed this to be possible and easy to do, the jump at the end of the level auto-knocks you down to flat ground so you can finish the level but i thought you'd like to know.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1366 on: November 05, 2015, 11:25:55 PM »

Raku, I'm on Deeply Rooted with the Scythe Upgrade 2 and it takes seemingly much more than 60, if not more or even infinite hits to kill the green shield enemy at the beginning. I tested and it takes the blue lasers like 2 hits to kill it so Scythe level 2 seems to be broken.

Edit: In Deeply Rooted and Long Live The Queen, after I set a certain enemy on fire, they jumped through the ground. In Deeply Rooted, it was whatever the last enemy is at the end of the first screen. For LLTQ, It was one of the brown jelly dropping big female enemies during the part with all the springs. Also on LLTQ, on the thing that carries you in honey, I jumped up on the last one you have to get on before you reach the Queen and I went through the ceiling, walked around for about two seconds (I think I could jump around to)...then died.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:03:47 AM by gunswordfist » Logged

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Malicus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 10, 2015, 04:08:55 PM »

I just finished playing through the current demo today and enjoyed it quite a bit (I played the previous one, but I kind of ran out of steam after the first major boss for some reason), but I ran into a few issues.

The first one is that either I haven't figured out the spirit urn, or it's bugged. The first time I use it, it's fine. I throw it at an ability, it goes into the urn, then later I throw the urn and break it to get the ability back. But if I buy the urn again, that ability is already in the urn and I can't put something else in. If I throw the urn, it's full, and breaking it gives that same ability again, and I assume that it shouldn't work like that.

The second issue is at the last section of Rusted Gate. I don't know how I managed this, but my first time through I managed to glitch it so that the gate in the top section appeared open but was not passable, and all of the switches in the room were stuck "on", except for the one in the lower right. I tried a few time to reproduce this and failed, so I don't know if it's some sort of incredibly precise timing or if it had to do with the weird order I hit things in while I was figuring it out.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1368 on: November 10, 2015, 09:13:22 PM »

@Gunswordfist, ah I realized I made a simple mistake with the drills, I think I found out how to fix it so that it doesnt freeze enemies now, thanks.

@banannaman, Ah, I realized this bug too, it was another simple mistake on my part, I've fixed it now, thank you!

@gunswordfist, Unfortunately (and I think this might have been mentioned here as well already) the scythe upgrades have an odd bug where they dont ever do any damage to those "invincible" enemies, a lot of people have brough this bug to my attention, thankfully. So, basically you can't do anything to the shield frogs, hand blocks, etc, any enemy that should "clink" when hit with the scythes. The "damage" effect is purely visual, they're not being damaged by that. Ah yeah, I've had problems with those enemies hopping through walls thanks to GameMaker's way of handling collissions, I'll see if I can find some sort of fix for that. As for the hopping around in the ceiling in the castle, can you tell me specifically where you hopped out? That might just be me missing a tile or something. I've put in a failsafe into the game where if you spend too long outside of the screen and you're also falling, it kills you.

@Malicus, Im glad you enjoyed the demo! Hm, that urn bug sounds like something I probably missed, thank you for bring it up, it definitely should not work that way.
As for that second bug, it sounds like you somehow kept the door "open" but the hitbox of the door stayed in place? That's very odd, and I'll do what I can to make sure it can't do that anymore, thank you.

Aside from these replies, I have a few more pages of concept art I should share here:

other things to note are:
palm trees here and there on the beach stages

this camera-stealing enemy is now implemented:

and I've been thinking of this here, some enemies send you flying if you get hit by them, I've been thinking it might be a nice idea to have those enemies/objects outlined in green. Here is a mock-up, I havent decided to do it for sure or not yet:

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 10, 2015, 09:50:17 PM »

@Gunswordfist, ah I realized I made a simple mistake with the drills, I think I found out how to fix it so that it doesnt freeze enemies now, thanks.

@banannaman, Ah, I realized this bug too, it was another simple mistake on my part, I've fixed it now, thank you!

@gunswordfist, Unfortunately (and I think this might have been mentioned here as well already) the scythe upgrades have an odd bug where they dont ever do any damage to those "invincible" enemies, a lot of people have brough this bug to my attention, thankfully. So, basically you can't do anything to the shield frogs, hand blocks, etc, any enemy that should "clink" when hit with the scythes. The "damage" effect is purely visual, they're not being damaged by that. Ah yeah, I've had problems with those enemies hopping through walls thanks to GameMaker's way of handling collissions, I'll see if I can find some sort of fix for that. As for the hopping around in the ceiling in the castle, can you tell me specifically where you hopped out? That might just be me missing a tile or something. I've put in a failsafe into the game where if you spend too long outside of the screen and you're also falling, it kills you.

@Malicus, Im glad you enjoyed the demo! Hm, that urn bug sounds like something I probably missed, thank you for bring it up, it definitely should not work that way.
As for that second bug, it sounds like you somehow kept the door "open" but the hitbox of the door stayed in place? That's very odd, and I'll do what I can to make sure it can't do that anymore, thank you.

Aside from these replies, I have a few more pages of concept art I should share here:

other things to note are:
palm trees here and there on the beach stages

this camera-stealing enemy is now implemented:

and I've been thinking of this here, some enemies send you flying if you get hit by them, I've been thinking it might be a nice idea to have those enemies/objects outlined in green. Here is a mock-up, I havent decided to do it for sure or not yet:

That new enemy is fabu-lousa! It's hilarious seeing him catwalking there, while Jack is holding a revving chainsaw about to cut him in half.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 10, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »

What do you mean by camera stealing Shocked

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1371 on: November 11, 2015, 12:40:32 AM »

Beautiful man!

Aw, THAT beach. lol I was thinking you meant a new level on twitter.

And this is the part of Long Live The Queen where I went through the ceiling and then died:

I've gotten past the PoiPoi water stage and what's probably my favorite level so far is next. Smiley

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Conker
« Reply #1372 on: November 11, 2015, 01:24:57 PM »

i dont know myself but im guessing its something like this?

banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 11, 2015, 02:53:08 PM »

i would love an outline for the bashing enemies but i feel like green may stand out too much and make the sprite look weird, maybe something like a dark red would have that aura feel but not make the outline stand out too hard? also that damascus enemy reminds me of Bugzzy from kirby and i love it.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1374 on: November 12, 2015, 02:07:39 AM »

That pretty much sums it up!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1375 on: November 12, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

That pretty much sums it up!

So creative! :O (and hilarious)

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1376 on: November 15, 2015, 05:24:46 AM »

yeah! it acts a lot like that actually. Once you get in range of this enemy the camera locks to him instead of you until you kill him.

I haven't decided on an outline with the slamming enemies yet, but I have changed the whale sprite to be more interesting

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1377 on: November 16, 2015, 09:14:58 PM »

I finally beat the demo! I wanted to do so before it's been over a month since the latest demo's release.

I see that you made the vanishing squares part in the puzzle level much easier. I can't remember if the previous demo had the creepy thing chasing you or not. I also noticed that you changed some of the music. I do miss the music the resurface level had that. It fit it perfectly.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
banannaman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 17, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »

will the camera stealing guy be able to kill you with it like heavy mole in kirby's adventure?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1379 on: November 20, 2015, 06:04:26 AM »

@Gunswordfish, great job! The chasing thing is a new addition yeah, did the old resurface level have a different song before?
@banannaman, no. He only locks the camera onto himself, making it very difficult to get back to him. Maybe I should make it kill Jack when he's outside range for too long though, now that I think of it..

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic