Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:14:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 331987 times)
USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 04, 2016, 08:09:59 PM »

Shocked Whoa, if you canned "All Or Nothing" and the other cut JTR final boss theme, I'm sure my ears will explode with the new final boss theme!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1401 on: February 05, 2016, 02:20:53 AM »

Good news! The game works really well (aside from a slight audio delay) in VirtualBox, so that may be an option for anyone that has trouble running the game natively, especially in Windows 10. You'll probably need a decent CPU and a few GB of RAM, though, since you're running an OS inside an OS.

I used the following setup:

RAM: 2 GB (the game alone uses almost 1 GB of RAM for some reason)

You'll probably also need to install the Guest Additions, enable 2D and 3D acceleration, and bump the video memory to 128MB. These allow the game to use your computer's native video acceleration. Downloading the DirectX 9.0c installer is probably a good idea as well.

Hope this helps someone!

Thank you so much BMF54123! I hope it helps someone, too.

And USNM@ Yeah, I hope so!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1402 on: February 25, 2016, 04:51:52 AM »

Im still working on the game, getting back into the groove of things again, I took a month hiatus to cool down.

I recently found out about a dll that cleans the extra memory that the game seems to build up over time, so this should help with some of the game's performance on older computers. So far I've been fixing more bugs, and completely redoing some of the palettes to look better, fixing lots of tiles in later stages, adding some new one-off enemies, etc.

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 26, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

Im still working on the game, getting back into the groove of things again, I took a month hiatus to cool down.

I recently found out about a dll that cleans the extra memory that the game seems to build up over time, so this should help with some of the game's performance on older computers. So far I've been fixing more bugs, and completely redoing some of the palettes to look better, fixing lots of tiles in later stages, adding some new one-off enemies, etc.
Ooh! Cryptic skeleton!
Glad to see you're back in action!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1404 on: March 12, 2016, 03:24:56 AM »

New update, not too keen on the SFC controller sprite in the tutorials, so I've made up some new sprites for all those, shown here:

Tried several different versions of the letters, and thanks to some feedback from friends Im keeping the letters huge, for readability

Also started work on a possible new miniboss:

(with an art style inspired by Momodora 4, to be honest)

Made the big explosion/boss explosion sprite MUCH improved:
old one:

new one:

I dont know why I let that old one exist for so long, it looks really bad in retrospect, not a very good explosion. I also seemed to rely on lazy tactics to make the animation stretch out, not changing anything but the colors over and over. I also went through and saturated up all the fire and other smaller explosion sprites, to hopefully help make those a bit more visceral.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: March 12, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

That new explosion is incredibly, incredibly juicy!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1406 on: March 12, 2016, 04:39:33 PM »

Thank you very much! Im very happy with the new one!

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: March 14, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »

New update, not too keen on the SFC controller sprite in the tutorials, so I've made up some new sprites for all those, shown here:

Tried several different versions of the letters, and thanks to some feedback from friends Im keeping the letters huge, for readability

Also started work on a possible new miniboss:

(with an art style inspired by Momodora 4, to be honest)

Made the big explosion/boss explosion sprite MUCH improved:
old one:

new one:

I dont know why I let that old one exist for so long, it looks really bad in retrospect, not a very good explosion. I also seemed to rely on lazy tactics to make the animation stretch out, not changing anything but the colors over and over. I also went through and saturated up all the fire and other smaller explosion sprites, to hopefully help make those a bit more visceral.
Will we have to slash at the Rabbit Boss's chest to beat it? Lol.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1408 on: March 15, 2016, 10:44:41 AM »

haha, maybe not THAT inspired by Momodora4

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: March 26, 2016, 02:12:18 PM »

Glitch 1 - Magical Flying Not-Skeleton bike and CaveWoman(girl? CaveTeenager?)
Does PoiPoi has a secret flying ability she hasn't told Jack Or Eclipsus about? Does Jack have a fan hidden under his cloak?
I did this glitch by jumping when the "Let's Go!" letters came up on the screen, right at the beginning of the level.
Now they're just floating until they hit the ramp.
Glitch 2 - Stuck Dirac

I did this glitch by shooting Dirac when it's stuck on the left wall and the left and top walls were near him.
He can get out if you shoot him a few times, but when he reaches the left side of the screen, he gets stuck again.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 05:26:07 PM by USUNM@ » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1410 on: March 29, 2016, 09:24:54 PM »

Ah, thankfully I figured out what was causing that flying bug in the motorcycle stage, and fixed it.
As for the Dirac boss getting stuck, I'll check up on that and see what went wrong, thank you for telling me!

beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 06, 2016, 11:23:06 PM »

Woah the game has been improved a lot since I tested this game. New monster + New graphics upgrades, New awesome musics.....The levels has much more variety and they are much longer + There are alot of small awesome details added.. for example the hat thing  Hand Thumbs Up Right... I also like the Check points! No need anymore repeat from beginning...The boss battles are much harder now ! It even made me  upgrade my reaper weapons! I also like that when you Dodge the dragons fireballs you can gain collectible point to increase your health.. Only if u do it right! Very fair I like it!

Keep you good work!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:28:15 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1412 on: May 07, 2016, 01:32:09 AM »

Ahh thank you very much Beetleking! I'm flattered to get such a compliment from you!

Conker
« Reply #1413 on: May 07, 2016, 09:33:39 AM »

its been so hard not playing the game past the first level after all this time.

i want to experience it all for the first time when its done
USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 11, 2016, 11:31:21 AM »

Two suggestions,
1- Add a way to get back to the main menu.
2-Please add a way to exit out of scrolling stages (Ex. Let's Run). Even when you beat then, you're unable to exit them after.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1415 on: May 11, 2016, 10:54:24 PM »

@Conker aw thanks! I appreciate you wanting to experience it so fully.
@USNM@
which main menu do you mean? If you mean the title screen, hold F2 (the tutorial says this)
as for exiting scrolling stages, I still need to figure out what I did wrong to make that not work, Im scouring the programming to find out, sorry about that!

Seeing as I havent posted many images in this thread in a while, I took a recent screenshot of an area with wind turbines

(Also as you can see here on the bottom, the new Spirit Urn with the counter inside, it heals you now when you press the D key.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1416 on: May 16, 2016, 12:48:17 AM »

thinking of putting in boxes and things around as small blocks you can stand on but also break, also some other notes and things, etc.

USUNM@
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:06 PM »

thinking of putting in boxes and things around as small blocks you can stand on but also break, also some other notes and things, etc.
Cool. If I may suggest anything, maybe the blocks should have moons or 4 pointed stars to fit the game's style.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1418 on: May 22, 2016, 10:19:29 PM »

Good suggestion! Some boxes will have moons on them now (I might add a line of shadow on the left to separate boxes next to eachother if this doesnt look too good)

I also sprited in a barrel, but havent programmed it in yet

and I re-drew a part of an old miniboss to have a more interesting visual

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1419 on: May 25, 2016, 05:50:45 PM »

You work fast, as usual! Loving the boxes.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic