Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:04:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 333799 times)
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1460 on: October 06, 2016, 07:52:40 PM »

having a major game-stopping crash on Slightly Bumpy. not sure what exactly causes it but I can't progress any further than this in the stage:

which means I can't progress any further in the game at all, since it always happens.
alaNintendo
« Reply #1461 on: October 06, 2016, 08:44:16 PM »

Beautiful stuf man!!! Grin
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1462 on: October 06, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »

okay so it wasn't the stage itself, but the song playing in the stage. it would crash as the the drumroll would happen. no idea WHY it would do that just on Slightly Bumpy but well there you go.

there's another bug I hit on but I'll have to go back to the stage I was in to find it. gimme a bit.

E: okay, so it's a pihrana plant thing that seems to eat you in Dark Plume. it removes jack from play entirely aside from items attached to him from powers. I think this MIGHT be triggered by you killing him as you get eaten, but i'm not totally sure on that yet. Once it happens though, you can't move or anything beyond turn the items attached to him in different directions.

E: minor question, but is there an easier way to get back to the main menu without resorting to quitting and reopening the game?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 10:45:17 PM by Applefat.GOV » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1463 on: October 10, 2016, 05:06:42 AM »

Oh shoot, the song thing, Im not really sure how to fix that, other than going into that song and removing or changing the drumroll part?
As for the pihrana plant enemy glitch, I unfortunately realized this after I put the demo up. It will be an easy fix, thankfully.
As for your last question, as the game says in the tutorial, you can hold F2 to reset

Minoru Leonardo
Level 0

Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: October 10, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »

After playing the updated version for a while I haven't found anything out of ordinary, but if I do I will post here.

Here goes some opinions on the most notable changes I noticed:

• My favorite so far is the Urn. It makes some really tough segments and bosses a lot easier
  • A bit sad with the music change on Starship Crash Site. I loved the previous version, but now it sounds so sad and morbid.
  • The new small enemies in Broken Seal look great.
  • Samuel Apollo's fireball attacks seems to be harder to dodge now. It could be that I'm rusty with dodging, though.
  • Loved the buff Vigor (Speed) soul got (dodge now causes damage, a lot in fact). It made the soul go from my least favorite to one of my favorites.
  • On the other hand Driven + Vigilant (Sword + Shield) now being unable to kill those bouncy jellies is pretty annoying.
  • Brave + Driven (Spike Ball Flail) now works as a regular drill. Which is nice since that combination is pretty hard to use at times.
  • Speaking of Brave (Drill) souls most seem to deal damage slower. I suppose this was meant for balance purposes (and avoid that "deal damage so fast enemies can't die" little glitch).
  • The new secret soul + Vigilant (Shield) is also pretty nice.
  • The solution in the puzzle for the 00Part in Linear A became much more straightforward than before. Not quite sure how I feel about it.
  • I can't reach the 00Part in Deeply Rooted since it seems you've blocked all paths to the possible alternate exit in this version and the 00Part in question is that room.
  • PoiPoi seems to be harder to control in Salvage Mission.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

!!!!!BUG: Rusted Gate!!!!!

Take a close look on how many lives I have.

Description: After dying to the mecha chasing you, it basically hit me nearly in every frame possible. I had the secret soul + Vigilant (shield) combo. I had several Jacks dying in the screen as well.

Video:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

having a major game-stopping crash on Slightly Bumpy. not sure what exactly causes it but I can't progress any further than this in the stage which means I can't progress any further in the game at all, since it always happens.

Just a note, this doesn't seem to happen on Windows 7. I went through that stage, after the update, and the crash didn't happen.

Cheers and keep up the good work, Raku!  Coffee
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:00:29 PM by Minoru Leonardo » Logged

Writing is hard.
Coding is rocket science.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1465 on: October 10, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

I'll go back to the stage now and see if it might have been that I'm on Windows 10 or I had done something abnormal on my PC to cause it.

E: yeah, still same crash on Slightly Bumpy. no other stage with the song crashes, just that one for some reason. I got around it by removing the song file from the folder until I finished the stage, which removed the bug entirely.

Can anyone else with Windows 10 confirm this happening?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:32:56 PM by Applefat.GOV » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1466 on: October 11, 2016, 02:18:28 AM »

@Minoru Leonardo, thank you so much for the extensive and specific notes, I appreciate that a lot! I was so happy to hear all the things you liked about the new one, and I can understand the things you were unhappy with, which I'll think of ways to work on. I am still balancing things and doing my best to tweak weapons until they'll be perfect, but it's an ongoing process for sure.
Also WOW I have no idea how that bug happened, but I'll have to look into it. Im guessing it's another bug caused by cherub being in the inventory and Jack touching an object that's normally supposed to instantly kill him, thank you for pointing this bug out haha. (thank you for the video evidence, as well, that really does help me understand exactly what happened)

@Applefat, I've had several complaints from people playing the game on Windows 10 of crashes, but apparently some people with Win10 have no problems at all? It is very confusing and definitely something caused by Windows 10 not wanting to play nice with my game. Does it have a compatibility mode for Windows 7 you could possibly try maybe? Removing the song is defintely a fix to bypass that crash, but I dont want that to have to be the "official" way of getting through the game, hmm.

Minoru Leonardo
Level 0

Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: October 11, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »

You're welcome, Raku. I hope they help you even if a bit.

Something I'm wondering is what are those dots that glow after you've a certain stage? I'm almost sure they might indicate the level has a secret exit, but can they be something like the stage still has a 00Part I haven't found yet? It'd be nice to have an indicator on that.

Another thing I'd like to elaborate on is how PoiPoi is harder to control in Salvage Mission:
  • In the previous demo a slight tap on the direction you wanted to go made PoiPoi swim a bit that way, then she'd stop, you had full control of her.
  • Now PoiPoi maintains her momentum; you tap a direction and she'll keep going that way until you tap the opposite direction, which can make her swim backwards. In short, controlling PoiPoi there feels much more difficult (in my opinion).
I'm in favor of the previous demo version; I made a comparison playing both levels in both demos and I had much more trouble traversing the jellyfish segment in the current version

Also WOW I have no idea how that bug happened, but I'll have to look into it. Im guessing it's another bug caused by cherub being in the inventory and Jack touching an object that's normally supposed to instantly kill him, thank you for pointing this bug out haha. (thank you for the video evidence, as well, that really does help me understand exactly what happened)
I'm not quite sure what causes it. I tested on two other insta-kill enemies I remember (Mitsu-Honeytrap and one in Slightly Bumpy) and the first resulted in nothing unusual but the second... Well, I guess it's best if you take a look yourself.

BUG: Slightly Bumpy
Description: Bear guy kills Jack, but still forces a Cherub to be used.

Video:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 05:52:06 PM by Minoru Leonardo » Logged

Writing is hard.
Coding is rocket science.
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1468 on: October 12, 2016, 09:15:24 AM »

@Applefat, I've had several complaints from people playing the game on Windows 10 of crashes, but apparently some people with Win10 have no problems at all? It is very confusing and definitely something caused by Windows 10 not wanting to play nice with my game. Does it have a compatibility mode for Windows 7 you could possibly try maybe? Removing the song is defintely a fix to bypass that crash, but I dont want that to have to be the "official" way of getting through the game, hmm.

I tried multiple compatibility modes and even turning on administrator privileges. No real luck, but i did notice something strange happen in one of the attempts: The drum roll attempted to extend on infinitely shortly before it crashed, which extended the time before it crashed a bit. I think it might be something specific to how it's handled in the pttune file? it might just not like if it's a notation of alot of notes played close together, in which case you could make a drum roll sample to play instead. if it's the opposite, I guess do the multiple notes?
If you make a change to the song, send it my way and I'll test it to see if it fixes the problem.

E:I just tried changing the song with one of the others (in this case copying and renaming PoiPoiII) and that also worked fine.

You know, just how am I supposed to kill that bear guy exactly? I know you've shown in streams before it's possible, but if I bring really strong powers with me, he won't be there. I'm assuming you either did this as a deterrent from beating him first time you see him, or as a special thing for the demo. Is that a correct guess?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:08:49 AM by Applefat.GOV » Logged
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1469 on: October 14, 2016, 12:33:20 AM »

Something I'm wondering is what are those dots that glow after you've a certain stage? I'm almost sure they might indicate the level has a secret exit, but can they be something like the stage still has a 00Part I haven't found yet? It'd be nice to have an indicator on that.
perhaps there already is one. Maybe the shopkeeper even mentions it sometimes Wink

Hmm, I'll look into trying to make PoiPoi a bit easier to control then, it's been a challenge making that stage.

@Applefat, interesting, it sounds like thats probably the case, I can just try and rearrange the song to be more "optimised" so as not to crash! Shouldn't be too hard of a fix.
As for the bear guy, he has a very specific set of ways you can kill him, aaand I don't believe it's actually do-able in the demo, sorry!

Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

"A Fool with A Tool is a Tooled Fool?"

View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: October 27, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »

@Raku
Hi there,
I've been a big fan of this game for a while and a lurker on this for around the same amount of time. I love your game, even though I am quite bad at it. I was wondering however, is it possible to hook up a controller to play the game with? I have a controller I use for computer games, would that be possible?
Keep up the good work, this is one of the most beautiful games I've seen in a very long time.
Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 31, 2016, 04:18:39 PM »

Nevermind, I figured how to map my controller to the game. Anyway, how far into the game does the demo cut off at?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1472 on: October 31, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »

Ah, Im glad you got it figured out! The demo stops at maybe 2/3 through the game I would say?

Also while Im here, a screenshot I took recently, put in some nice flowers into the first few stages

Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 31, 2016, 07:56:12 PM »

Just finished it. It was excellent, the I did notice that there was a glitch on the final temple level that if you are hit with the enemy that chases you, it will slow down and you will die multiple times.When I was done with the level the counter on the screen said -88 lives.
  Still that may just be a glitch in the demo. Also, I hate to be an annoyance but how close do you think the game is to completion?
Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 01, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »

There I go again asking pointless questions, I now see how close the game is to completion. Also, have you taken any enemies out of the game? I was looking at the promo art http://rakugaki-otoko.deviantart.com/art/Jack-the-Reaper-Promo-Poster-210503669 and noticed the invisible cat and the cucumber guy. I haven't seen them in the demo, are they not there anymore?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1475 on: November 02, 2016, 01:40:57 PM »

Ah no worries. both of those enemies are in the game in parts after where the demo leaves off, though I've changed what they look like a bit since then

Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 02, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »

Ah no worries. both of those enemies are in the game in parts after where the demo leaves off, though I've changed what they look like a bit since then
A few more questions...looking at the sketches back about a year ago, were you thinking of making another mushroom level in addition to "Dark Plume"? Also, are those three enemy sprites of the squid, the ghost, and the creature that latches to Jack's back, still going to be in the game?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1477 on: November 04, 2016, 06:26:02 AM »

Hm, I don't remember the specific sketch you're referring to, but I do remember that the supposed mushroom level was actually compressed into the rain stage, which used to not have mushrooms in it. There are a few of those types of creatures that show up later in the game

Where_were_you_Tobias?
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 07, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »

Would the ghost show up in a haunted stage?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1479 on: November 09, 2016, 04:38:01 AM »

The ghost actually shows up in the caves, if I remember correctly

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic