Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 05:05:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334185 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: July 19, 2012, 12:14:25 PM »

I'm sorry for my absence. Everything has been going slowly this month, especially with summer allergies hitting me harder than ever this year. Another thing is that a close friend's birthday is coming up, and I'm making her a small game for her birthday, so I've been trying to complete that before next month. Maybe I should make a little devlog for that game or something, I'm not sure, but I will be posting the completed one on here somewhere.

I just want to assure everyone that I'm still also working on Jack the Reaper bit by bit, though everything. It's just the bonus stage stuff I'm working on, so of course I can't really show much here.

Conker534
« Reply #361 on: July 19, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »

Smiley Awesome. Been loving this game since I saw it.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »

Thank you very much. I'm very glad to hear that this project is not forgotten like I had assumed.

Also, I'm having a hard time thinking of how to even make a "mini metroidvania" really.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: July 23, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

Try playing Robot Wants Ice Cream, and possibly the sequels. They take place in a single (large) room, and are fairly short.

I've seen a few games in this mini-metroidvania genre. Can't remember the names of any others off the top of my head though.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: July 23, 2012, 02:25:03 AM »

Ahh, thank you very much for the suggestion! I just finished playing through the first one, and it gives me a good idea of what to shoot for. Luckily, I already made very small sprites for Jack, just for this sort of thing.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: August 03, 2012, 07:27:12 PM »

Look! Some progress I CAN show without spoiling anything!

Screen transitions for cutscenes!

Now that last month's work is done, I can probably get back to working on this game again!

Conker534
« Reply #366 on: August 03, 2012, 07:28:05 PM »

Grin

I really do love this game. Keep it up. :D
Houndninja
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2012, 07:58:41 PM »

Oh man this eats my face off  Evil
Really want this, reminds me of Kirby games actually.
will this be freeware or does it cost internet dollars?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »

freeware.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: August 04, 2012, 05:57:17 PM »

new unique enemy: lava fish

Houndninja
« Reply #370 on: August 04, 2012, 07:31:01 PM »

Sweet! Definitely getting it then!
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #371 on: August 04, 2012, 07:36:31 PM »

Are those sinking platforms? I'm not looking forward to have that thing chomping at my heels, too...  Shocked

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: August 04, 2012, 07:37:35 PM »

Yes, they do sink, but the fish is slower than Jack, so it's easy to outrun it. plus there's not anything in the way, really.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »

I also forgot to show off this. I don't know why I felt it was ok to not have a background in the lava stages, so here this is:

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:10 PM »

Alright everyone. It's been a while, but I finally got around to putting out an updated demo. Download it on the first page of this thread!

I would be thankful if you tell me any bug or glitches that you find, and any feedback that you have on it!
And remember, don't choose continue on your first time playing an updated demo, as it causes some glitches that are very bad.

Things to watch out for, don't click "hints" in the shop, as it doesn't work correctly yet.
The abilities can't be bought in the shop yet either.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 06, 2012, 10:01:43 PM »

Okay so I notice off the bat you can't transfer old save files, which make sense with how much has changed, second was the early levels have more scarecrows than before. Loving the new touches to the old animations.
godsavant
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:30 PM »

Okay, given my day off from work I've decided to hunker down and get back to where I was. I've currently made it to Cleansing Waters, but my notes are so long at this point that it's better to post what I've got so far.

BUGS/GLITCHES

-The properties of Shield seem inconsistent. Against projectiles, it works as expected, but some walking enemies (like the giant bird) seem completely unhindered by it, walking through it and damaging you (duck-shielding on top of the pouncing cat also causes it to glitch out), while others (like the fast plant enemies in The Lion's Den) die upon touching it. I realize having them be deflected might cause some collision issues, but some consistency would see me using it a lot more.

-It is impossible to pause or quit the level Let's Run!, even if you've already beaten it before

-On occasion, selecting "Continue" will start you directly into your last level, rather than the map screen - a real problem when you have no abilities in an impromptu boss fight.

-On occasion, entering/exiting the Guutara boss fight will cause the game to Save (play the Save sound effect), regardless of whether you beat him or die.

-The water sounds in the level Cleansing Waters is a bit too loud and repetitive, and seems to glitch out after the first screen (unless it is purposely a different effect).

FEEDBACK

-Touching the root of the first Plant miniboss as she dies still hurts/kills you, even though the head and stalk do not.

-In my opinion, touching the head of the Plant miniboss should not harm you. Given that it's constantly moving about and her only weak point, it's enough of an ordeal to time your jumps in between her attacks without having to pray that her randomly-bobbing head doesn't happen to move forward when you attack. Sure, her stem should still hurt, so that Jack can't just run behind her and cheese, but it seems avoiding her projectiles should be the challenge here, not her face.

-The spitting purple flowers could stand to pause a bit longer between shots; getting in close is a good test of one's Dodge reflexes, but there's not enough time in between shots for Jack to dodge and get an attack in without taking a hit. Considering that Jack can't simply avoid them, it seems the only non-damaging tactic is to snipe them from afar. It's the best way, sure, but it shouldn't be the only way.

-The ability souls could stand to stay around a bit longer, say, half a minute. I recall a focus of the game being swapping out souls on the fly to deal with unique encounters, but when souls vanish in all of ten seconds, too often I find myself stuck with a bad ability I only intended to use for a moment.

-I'm sure a gem counter is in the works, but it wouldn't hurt to also explain what they do. For the first set of levels I was under the impression every hundred or so gave me an extra life (in addition to the full heal), but when received a different "1UP" message I realized it took way more to earn an extra life. "NICE" doesn't really explain much.

-Please require two presses of the Escape key to quit, and add a prompt "Press Esc again to quit, Q to Pause" after the first press. This is an issue in a lot of Game Maker games, but it's most aggravating here.

-Please make pressing the Q key un-pause.

-A jumping buffer after falling from a ledge would be as welcome as ever; the frustration of the game's single-tile platforming bits stems from the jump command not registering because Jack's already slipped off the ledge (probably because Jack's collision is narrower than his sprite) and dropped like a rock. This is likely the reason why people despise the Speed ability, as it shortens the timing window even further, and makes the platforming feel very bare-bones and unpolished.

-The Gas Power, in general, seems like a bad choice in most situations. Unlike the dichotomy between Boomerang and Bullet (Bullet has longer range, but doesn't stun), Gas has pathetic range and fire rate, and is usually only dropped by Plant enemies, who are immune to it - meaning it's useless against a large portion of the enemies in the levels it appears. Gee, it'd sure be cool to use Gas's unique penetration against that mushroom enemy garrisoned at the entrance of The Lion's Den, but too bad, he's immune.

-It seems strange that the crushers in Seismic Activity would hurt you when touched from the side. Sure, the Thwomps in Mario hurt when touched anywhere, but that's because they were clearly covered in spikes; by contrast, the wooden crushers in the dungeon levels were harmless from the side, letting the player run up against it to get revved up. I'm fine with having them hurt, but a visual redesign would go a long way. Glowing lava pillars, maybe.

-A pet peeve, but enemy projectiles don't seem to be bound by the same rules as Jack's. The flying enemies fire tracking Bullet shots that go right through the crushers, whereas Jack's Bullet shots can't. For such a rich environment, it really ruins the atmosphere when established physical laws are voided for the sole purpose of screwing Jack over.

-Kamikaze enemies probably shouldn't drop coins/gems unless killed before they commit suicide, thus encouraging players to avoid them or take them out beforehand.

-It'd be nice to have a shop earlier in the game, selling only the Hint and Save functions.

-Several of the enemies could use 'tells' for when they are about to attack:

• The Boomerang soldier, for when he's about to throw; too many times, I think I have him stun-locked with my attack, only for him to instantly throw out a boomerang and kill me. You already have one made (the cutscene when the wounded soldier is about to attack Jack), and it could be only a split second. But give some kind of prior warning.
  • The red Gas-burping enemy, first seen in The Lion's Den. This guy's firing pattern is completely random, has no animation, and does not interrupt his movement. Since you have to jump up and be exposed to progress, avoiding his shots/body on the narrow platform is purely a matter of luck.

I'll post more as I get farther.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:05:53 PM by godsavant » Logged

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #377 on: August 08, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »

BUGS/GLITCHES
-the shield is supposed to work almost exactly like the shield in the old Zelda games, where it only effects projectiles. Some enemies are effected by it, but it's kind of rare.

-It is impossible to pause on any auto-scroller level so far, because of a strange glitch that makes Jack immediately die once you unpause. I still have to get that fixed, it's on my to-do list.

-Oh, I didn't know about this one, thank you for mentioning it. I'll check into why that happens.

-hmm... saving doesn't have a sound effect, so I'm not sure what you're hearing.

-it has to be repetitive, to save space. it's a very short loop. and yes, it sounds different on the second room. first foom: waterfall draining into a body of water, second room: waterfall with no bottom. therefore it sounds different. I can make it softer sounding, though.

FEEDBACK
-of course, it's a part of the boss, therefore it's damaging to touch. wait until it explodes before running past it.

-her head doesn't "randomly" bob. there is a set pattern that it follows indefinitely. I can't think of any enemies in this game that don't hurt you when you touch their body, so going with consistency -which you mentioned earlier- I'm probably going to keep it damaging.

-you have a point there. (did you mean blue flowers?) I'll lengthen the time between shots for those.

-hmm, that's another good point. I'll lengthen that time, as well.

-I'm actually not going to make a gem counter. Also, didn't you notice that your lives didn't increase by one when it only said "nice"?

-Why do you keep pressing the escape key in the first place? That's always been the... well, "escape" key to me. oh well, I made that another pause key, with two escape key presses making the game quit.

-Q key now unpauses

-I apologize, but I will never put in a jumping buffer. I'm putting my foot down about that.

-I've been thinking of making the gas ability damage all enemies. I guess I tried something different with enemy weaknesses, but nobody seems to like it. It was a dumb idea to begin with. (Why do you need to kill the mushroom that's inside the wall? It's not a threat)

-what the heck? glowing lava pillars in a forest doesn't really work for me, here. I'll consider making them not painful to touch from the sides.

-hmm, I actually missed that. That's the kind of detail I like in a game, sorry for that. I'm fixing that now.

-wait, which kamikaze enemies? The crows from the beginning of the game are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

-wait, why would you need another shop earlier in the game?

-the cutscene boomerang guy is a different sprite, though, since he's slouched and bleeding. and he DOES actually have a tell. once he sees Jack, there's a little flicker next to his helmet, and he stands still for a moment. Does that not come across?
the gas enemy, sure I can put in something for him.

Thank you so much for the feedback. This has been extremely helpful, and a boost in motivation. Thank you for actually playing the game, and giving feedback.

swordpond
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #378 on: August 08, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in the thread, but will you sell this sweet little baby?

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #379 on: August 08, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »

it has been asked before, and no. I'm not comfortable asking for money for this game. If people want to offer donations, I'll set up a paypal or something, but this game will remain free forever.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic