Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:50:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Five Point Five
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Five Point Five  (Read 1858 times)
Mincus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:51:08 AM »

Basic idea: 5-way multi-player asteroids.

No score, the idea is to shoot the other players.
Whilst there's still asteroids left on the screen your bullets will push instead of damage them.
Destroyed asteroids will release ship upgrades (better shields, more powerful ammo, faster ammo).
Once the asteroids are destroyed the players turn on each other. Last player standing wins.
Hitting an asteroid is an instant death.

I'm aiming to have quick 'rounds' lasting 1-2 minutes.
Players can either be local or networked.
I've a few ideas for how to solve the lag issue for networking, but the short rounds should eliminate too much griping over it.

I know the entry is a bit late, I wanted a screenshot before posting the idea, but that hasn't happened just yet (should have something soonish though).

Edit: On the technology side, I'll be using C# with OpenTK with my own custom framework, which will allow it to run on Windows, Linux and OS X (assuming a mono install on the latter two). Having OpenAL installed will make things sounds far better for users but isn't a requirement.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:04:43 AM by Mincus » Logged

Sos
Level 8

I make bad games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 05:41:10 AM »

Sounds cool enough to me! You should check out Player.IO, it supports c#

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »

Oooh, what an interesting idea. I like the idea of competitive asteroids, and getting power-ups by 'salvaging' from them. Multi-player shmups: we need more!
Mincus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »

The idea has its roots in a game called Spheres of Chaos (http://www.spheresofchaos.com/ -- It's free, although last time I tried it I had problems with it on Win7), which is a very pretty psychedelic asteroids clone with tons of additional options and enemies as well as up to 8 local players. Has a few game modes, including a 'battle' and the upgrades.

Taking what I remember from playing that when I was younger is how I came up with the shields. Lives + instant death doesn't work wonderfully in this arena and the game always played better in a co-operative mode as a result.
Changing this to rounds + shields and a requirement to destroy all the asteroids before your shots damage other players should balance this I think, although I won't know until I get those systems working. Maybe I'll add the lives/instant death as well as a second mode.

Should have a playable local version by this time next week anyway. Hoping to test it at TIGjam UK 4 if I can persuade people.

Mincus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »

Currently at this point:

Asteroids are destructible, shields work, just bonuses to add for local play then 'net play to write in.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic