Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:38:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Orbitrail [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Orbitrail [FINISHED]  (Read 5464 times)
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »

I had this idea and after a few hours of coding I have made it flesh. Each player controls a star knight using a single button. Hold down the button to fly away from the sun, release it to fly towards the sun and double tap it to reverse direction. You must destroy the other star knight to win. Knights are killed then they fall into the black sun, leave the screen or hit the other knights trail. Knights can expand their trails by flying near the sun.

Link to Prototype

Update 29/1/2011:
Added some sounds and particle effects. Link to Prototype 2

Update 30/1/2011:
Released a new prototype. Now the sun sometimes shoots out laser flares and players make a noise when they are near each other.

Update 31/1/2011:
New prototype link here.

Added bounds, stopped the sun and leaving the bounds from killing players, removed the laser flares (might add them as an option later.)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 09:15:31 AM by dontkickpenguins » Logged

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:41:20 AM »

Interesting little game!  Kind of light-cycles with a potentially deadly power-up.  I'm not sure I'm a big fan of death being caused by going too far away from the sun.  Is this done? Or are you planning on adding any additional features or options?  Nice work.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »

This actually is pretty interesting to play, and it has a very cool title, too. I think some power ups, solar-flares that you have to dodge, and more "neon" visuals would be really amazing! I actually can't wait to try this out with my sister.  Smiley
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

Ok, another update. All I've added is some sound effects and some graphical touches. Link to Prototype 2

Interesting little game!  Kind of light-cycles with a potentially deadly power-up.  I'm not sure I'm a big fan of death being caused by going too far away from the sun.  Is this done? Or are you planning on adding any additional features or options?  Nice work.
I am planning on adding more but the core of it seems to be pretty much done. Mainly it's an issue of balance, I'm not yet statified that the players always have interesting options open to them but then again I've not really playtested it yet. And I daren't add too much without playtesting it and getting the core down.

I'm not sure what to do about dying when players are too far away from the sun. I need something to stop playing from just running away but I'm not sure if the playfield is currently too small.

This actually is pretty interesting to play, and it has a very cool title, too. I think some power ups, solar-flares that you have to dodge, and more "neon" visuals would be really amazing! I actually can't wait to try this out with my sister.  Smiley
I'm glad that you like it! Maybe I could add solar flares, it wouldn't be that hard to do. Just define and draw a temp "line" and kill players that stray over it. Tell me what your sister thinks. Tell her to be brutal about it.

Btw, does anyone know how to deal with issues arising from having multiple keys pressed at the same time? I want to add more than 2 players but I keep getting keyboard conflicts and I really don't want players have to plug in or use any external hardware like pads or owt (I'm not sure flash can even do that)

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 11:14:08 AM »

Btw, does anyone know how to deal with issues arising from having multiple keys pressed at the same time? I want to add more than 2 players but I keep getting keyboard conflicts and I really don't want players have to plug in or use any external hardware like pads or owt (I'm not sure flash can even do that)

Why not...
Player 1: Keyboard (Z key)
Player 2: Mouse (left mouseclic)
?

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:18:08 PM »

Why not...
Player 1: Keyboard (Z key)
Player 2: Mouse (left mouseclic)
?
Yeah, I could maybe do that. Maybe Player 1 is Enter, Player 2 is Space, Player 3 is Z and Player 4 is the mouse button?

Also, I've released a new prototype. Now the sun sometimes shoots out laser flares and players make a noise when they are near each other.

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »

New prototype link here.

Added bounds, stopped the sun and leaving the bounds from killing players, removed the laser flares (might add them as an option later.)

dontkickpenguins
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:42 AM »

Finished game

Ok, I let this project slide but I'd got something that I'm willing to hand in at least. Did most of the work on it at Tigjam and then got distracted by real life.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »

What to do if the opponent starts to circle on the surface of the sun? Is there a possibility to counter this? Maybe it was a good idea after all when the sun killed player when touched?

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:53:40 AM »

What to do if the opponent starts to circle on the surface of the sun? Is there a possibility to counter this? Maybe it was a good idea after all when the sun killed player when touched?
Yeah, this completely broke the game. D:

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 02:12:50 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

Space / Enter labels mixed up.
Good concept
Needs design changes before we can play it multiplayer for fun. Tail perhaps should be deadly, and we'd like to see pick-ups.
Game ran and didn't look like shit, and controls worked.
game poorly balanced - players seem to always win by.
We wanted to love this game much more than we did!
Possibly the most disappointing game, because it seemed so promising from first impressions.

twitter: @docky
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:45:18 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while. Here's what we thought.

Space / Enter labels mixed up.
Good concept
Needs design changes before we can play it multiplayer for fun. Tail perhaps should be deadly, and we'd like to see pick-ups.
Game ran and didn't look like shit, and controls worked.
game poorly balanced - players seem to always win by.
We wanted to love this game much more than we did!
Possibly the most disappointing game, because it seemed so promising from first impressions.

I don't understand half of what you're saying, but I fully disagree. This game is lovable, and pure distilled versus-fun.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 05:28:48 AM »

I don't understand half of what you're saying, but I fully disagree. This game is lovable, and pure distilled versus-fun.

It's possible we didn't spend long enough with the game to fully get it (we went through a lot of games and only spent a couple of minutes on each), but it just seemed completely broken when we played it. The first player to wrap themselves around the center was invincible, and if both players went for that then the winner was basically just random.

We all liked the idea, but we didn't really have any satisfying rounds while actually playing it.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 06:13:40 AM »

We all spent a while trying to figure out how to beat the invincible centre circle player, and nothing would do it. It became more fun when we invented our own rules of not hugging the walls, but that was the only thing we could do to make it a fair or interesting challenge.

Theon, did you have any problems with the wall hugging?

twitter: @docky
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 02:25:55 AM »

Oh, haha.
I misunderstood the rules, which made it balanced and fun!

It said something like "if you fall into the star (I would guess the circle in the middle) you die", so me and my sister, well, we just din't hug the wall because we thought it was dangerous  Giggle

Well, that would be my sugestion for a fix; simply make the inner circle kill any player who touches it.
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »

Yesterday we played through all the games and our group easily spent the most time on this game. We played well over 200 rounds. A few times we went back to try it again "just to see how it compares" and ended up getting sucked in and playing longer than we intended.

At first we weren't sure what to do. "Are you supposed to eat their flashing tail?" "Oops. I guess not." We almost quit early but someone said, "C'mon guys, we got to give every game a fair chance." Once we figured it out, it was a lot of fun. We started noticing common strategies and naming them: Spade, Double Spade, Roadblock, Starfishing.

Some of the other comments mentioned balance problems but we didn't run into any. Every strategy seemed to have a counter. We did seem to think the middle had an advantage over the outside, but far from anything guaranteed. Also the race for the middle became kind of an interesting point in the game. Do you participate in the high risk vie for center? Or play the slow game and take the outside?

The walls moving in was an important subtlety that served at least two purposes: (1) it acted as a round timer and (2) it prevented people from completely coating the walls.

The only suggestion we had was to somehow make head-on collisions more interesting (a tie maybe?) Someone proposed that maybe the person with the longer tail won? As far as we could tell, there were random.

Also, like Hayden Scott-Baron said, the ENTER, SPACE labels are reversed. (We didn't actually notice this).

Anyway, this was the favorite of our group. Thanks for making it!
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 08:04:19 AM »

Also, I'd like to see an offline build Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic