Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:58:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Dyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]  (Read 127521 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2008, 04:11:25 AM »

Yes, and yes. I've also run loads of XNA games.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 04:37:20 AM »

Wow. Blew me away. Shocked

For me, it was just enough challenge to keep it interesting at the end fighting a war on two fronts against yellow, although some of that challenge seemed to come from my own troops' inability to engage enemies passing by the planet they're circling. It's an odd feel that I can't create a defensive line, although I do see that the redistribution of swarms within your lines does pose a more interesting challenge than simply massing all your troops at the edges of your territory. Does the AI randomly pick semi-nearby asteroids to engage, then doggedly attack them until someone loses?

Oh, and the right-click drag to send a single swarm unit wasn't useful for anything but the very early game. Maybe it could work like the menu sending? Like, right-click drag from one asteroid to another, left click while holding right-click to increase number to send, release right click over asteroid to send that number, or over space to cancel. It'd also be useful to see how many trees are on an asteroid, for the late game where you're zoomed out so far you can't really see them.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2008, 05:07:53 AM »

Great feedback guys/gals, really helpful. It seems there are some conundrums there for us to look at it as some people are reporting that the game is too long and too boring in the end stages, while other have completely acceptable experiences :-)
I would be very interested to hear more about people's ideas about the length. I am about to start experimenting with fewer asteroid numbers which will possibly solve the samey endgame issue. :-)

The send interface is a near universal complaint, hmmm only so much time left thooguh....

haowan was right, quite a few suggestions were in my original design but had top be dropped for scope. My fault for designing something too involved ;-)

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 05:29:47 AM »

A new patch is up that should hopefully fix a few issues.

http://www.deadrock-game.com/files/DysonPatch.rar

I have tried to fix the eternal root digging path thing.

I also fixed agents kamikaze attacking trees. They should now shoot them instead.

A few other fixes.

edit: patch is removed for failsafe. Please delete your previous downloads and get the latest version from the original link.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 03:09:50 PM by haowan » Logged

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 06:45:03 AM »

If anyone who is getting a crash on startup could do me a favour and try installing the Visual Studio 2005 redistributable, I'd be much obliged.

If that doesn't work, there's a Service Pack for .NET 2.0 that might do the trick. Really sorry about this.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 06:56:37 AM »

I had both of those installed already Sad

I don't think it has to do with .NET, really. It does start, but it crashes during the "Loading..." phase.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:58:51 AM by Hideous » Logged

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 06:58:51 AM »

What happens if you replace the milieu track with a renamed satellite ogg from the resources directory (vanguard, explorer etc)? was thinking maybe the duration of the track is screwing with things

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2008, 07:00:22 AM »

Crashed even earlier now.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2008, 07:07:55 AM »

Far out... ok, i'll have to get back to you later as I'm at work for the next few hours.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2008, 07:41:28 AM »

It looks like the final version would figure 52 asteroids or so, as it makes things much more fun and less overwhelming. Hmmm more news at 11

Durruti
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

Wow, I had a lot of fun with this. Didn't play through one whole game 'cause I got a bit frustrated with an apparent mistake of mine (didn't realize seedlings couldn't attack enemies just passing through their planet, makes things a bit difficult!), but I was hooked for a good two hours and am about to try again with that patch of yours.

Third game I've seen here that I think would be amazing if development continued after the compo. So many concepts here are really cool, it'd be a shame if all they got were rushed competition entries. But again, excellent work on what you've done, I love the graphics and the gameplay alike. I think the music gets a little repetitive (too short to not really notice the looping) but maybe that's just me.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2008, 01:05:06 PM »

Wow, thanks Durruti Smiley Glad you liked it, that's what it's all about!

Crashed even earlier now.

Hideous, do you have your regional language setting set to something other than English? I have had reports of a crash that went away when the system language was switched to English from Swedish.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2008, 01:41:33 PM »

Hideous, do you have your regional language setting set to something other than English? I have had reports of a crash that went away when the system language was switched to English from Swedish.

Hot tip: If you get bugs in .NET code caused by European Culture settings (we had a lot at one point in the past due to anyone with a European Culture refusing to parse the dot as a radix, because most Europeans use a comma for the radix) then the following line is your friend:

Code:
Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = CultureInfo.InvariantCulture;

...well, it's your friend if you like the American/English Culture, since that's basically what it forces the thread to use.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »

I fucking love you man.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »

Yay manloving!

I bring the beer.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »

It's done. Good luck everyone!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2008, 03:09:45 PM »

Updated game on the first post?

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2008, 03:14:46 PM »

Yep, original link is still valid.

http://www.deadrock-game.com/files/Dyson.rar

Have fun!

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2008, 03:18:47 PM »

The new build is much improved so even if you looked at it recently give it a whirl :-D

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »

Playing a match, and I like the changes you guys made. Trees are now much easier to defend and the game has a more methodical pace, which seems to fit better with the atmosphere.

However you guys might have overpowered the gray neutrals a bit much. Tongue In the game I played I didn't do much before I won (fought against one faction for a while). Though maybe the other faction was the only one on the map, but I feel that the grays, who were also giving me a bit of pain, might have contributed to the demise of my foes. I can't be sure though.

I really like the improvements to the interface.

Overall the game got a lot better. Good job.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic