Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411484 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:06:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationDyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Dyson [FINISHED] [website launched!]  (Read 127509 times)
Lancer
Level 0

What does it mean to accelerate?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2008, 06:52:25 PM »

It's awesome to plow through the AI with 8 or so 400+ seedling armies. Every time they attack it gives me an excuse to gather another 400 on that asteroid. I can imagine this game being crazy with multiplayer.

There definitely needs to be something to counter a giant army besides another giant army. First thing that comes to mind is the ability to self destruct an asteroid to kill every unit on it. I guess that could get a little ridiculous though.

"Find out by racing balls down two tracks. Observe their speed and energy." -Lucas
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2008, 01:26:25 AM »

Thanks guys it is amazing how much better the game got hour by hour on the last days of changes. Haowan's speed coding prowesse also helped :-)

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:31 AM »

Fuck yes, this version works Grin

EDIT: Except it lags to hell, so no go for me x(

Movius
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »

the seed of the Light Green race shall never be defeated!

excellent game
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

This gives me happy feelings in my insides - seeing the swarms flowing about is lovely. Although I don't like it when a big purple swarm is beautifully flowing about within my borders!  Angry

The "empire building" as you plant your trees feels great too. The asteroid/unit attributes is a really flipping neat version of the usual RTS unit type business.

I'd maybe like to see options for asteroid belt size and irregularity in the next version. THanks!

btw - this strongly reminds me of playing Deuteros on the Amiga, while listening to Outer Space by the Prodigy (and the rest of that album). Great days.

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2008, 09:19:52 PM »

I think Dyson's aesthetics are superb. I think you went beyond pretty, to have an expressive atmosphere. VERY good job!

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2008, 04:02:32 AM »

Here's some more fun then.

You can change certain things about the way Dyson works in the settings.xml file.

Some of these will break the game, but here's a guide about some of the things you can do. I've shrunk the text so it won't spoil anything for uninterested parties.

If you edit settings.xml, be sure and backup your original copy. Modifying these settings could break the game or even make it crash if I've not been careful somewhere in the code. Settings are organised by category and each has a name and a value. The min/max values for each setting are ignored. Don't bother changing them.

Belt makeup

You can modify the number of asteroids in the belt in game->asteroids. The game comes with this set to 52.

Modifying the number of asteroids might make the belt disconnect, leaving asteroids that can't be travelled to etc. I would suggest raising the minimum neighbour distance between asteroids to a larger value if you are experiencing this. The same thing might happen if you decrease the distance between asteroids - they could bunch up and leave large gaps between asteroids.

The belt is distributed in a thick ring at the start of the game. This ring's inner radius is equal to the "ring radius" less half the "belt width"; the outer radius is the ring radius plus half the belt width. Increasing the belt radius might be a good idea if you increase the number of asteroids a lot.

Seedlings

You can set the starting number of seedlings for the player and enemy AIs. If you're finding the game too easy mayb etry givin ghte enemy 300 seedlings to start with Smiley

Seedling speeds can be changed - if you set them too high then chaos might ensue!

You might try modifying how seedlings interact in battle:

AttackRepeatTime - how often a seedling can attack
MinimumAgentDamage - how much damage is done by the weakest possible seedlings
MaximumAgentDamage - how much damage is done by the strongest seedlings (this is added to min damage)
AttackAgentDistance - how far away a seedling is before it can attack another

Trees

Under "structures" you can change various things about the trees including how fast they grow, how tough they become over time (AgeSquareFactor - set this to 1 and a level 4 tree (one that's fully grown) will be 16 times harder to kill)), and how fast they spawn seedlings.

Cost of a tree in number of seedlings is also given, as well as seedlings vs trees damage data.

AI

You can change how long before the greys start moving around and how quickly the AI thinks. Making the AI quicker won't necessarily make the game harder... they'll still be just as stupid, only they'll make their stupid decisions more often Smiley

You can also change the number of AI teams that the game starts with. At the moment the maximum is 10, and the game won't allow you to have any more. But this limit of 10 is set by the size of the file resources/teams.png, which is the palette file used to get the team colours. It's ten pixels high - you can modify this file to change team colours and add more teams if you like. The game chooses a random number of teams between the minimum and the maximum defined in the settings file with the caveat that thte maximum is limited to the height of this PNG.

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2008, 04:37:31 AM »

Ooh, *sweet.* Kiss

I'll have to mess around with those when I get home Grin

olücæbelel
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2008, 04:49:23 AM »

Genie! Get back in the bottle!!

Ok erm, yeah Dyson is actually quite moddable. :-)

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2008, 08:11:56 PM »

Wow Alex, this is excellent. I just spent at least a solid hour on this. Very clean interface, cool atmosphere. Good job man!

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »

Grin Thanks Tommy!

Quetz
Level 0

Eht.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2008, 11:37:44 PM »

I love this game! Very pretty, intuitive and all-around good times. It got really intense when me and pink each had about half the belt and were at each other for a good 30-40 minutes before I made an outpost right in the middle of their territory. Conveniently enough, they ignored it, and I spread it outward like the plague until it destroyed them from the inside (...gruesome!)

It seemed like, after the very beginning stages, I didn't have time to pay much attention to the seedlings' attributes. Especially once I started amassing large armies with all sorts of ethnic (astroidal?) backgrounds. Anyway, this game is awesome and possibly my favorite entry of those I've played so far.
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2008, 12:11:55 AM »

OK

I've patched Dyson up to hopefully fix the UI crash bug and the Endless Diggers bug. I also decreased the time it takes for the tooltip to pop up and added a couple of tasty (and dangerous) settings  Tongue

edit: removed links, latest version is in OP or further down this page!

I hope it's OK to edit this into the original post.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:03:38 PM by haowan » Logged

jai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2008, 01:31:30 AM »

hi-

I love this game- great fun- interesting ideas- explained well- and nice mood and look....(it reminds me of the Panspermia by karl sims- a truly amazing piece of procedural animation from 1990)

only problem I have is it crashes about 10  minutes into every game... congrats on a great piece of work. Are you going to continue development or is it released as is?
Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2008, 01:39:21 AM »

Hi jai, yes we will probably continue work on the game in some way. Try the patch, it may fix your issue. If not, I'd be extremely grateful for any further info on what you were doing at the time or any similarities about the crashes.

dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2008, 05:15:55 AM »

That was a very hard game, but after two hours, I think it was a very enjoyable one. Smiley The first three times, I was just trying to figure it out and managed to get say 15-20 little things flying around, then my neighbors would very helpfully sending 70 to wipe me out.

Three times in a row.

The last game I finally one and felt pretty good about it. Figured out how to get around that 32 limit by making military planets. It helped that most of my opponents ignored pretty much every planet except my "home" one, so I just kept 500 there.

The tool tips were nice, but I thought of a few things that would have made it a bit easier to play.

1. Obviously, something to let you shunt off the excess to another planet. You know, kind of like > 30, send them X. Part of the game is managing it, but it got tedious near the end because I kept forgetting planets to drain. Also, my fingers hurt from clicking and dragging so much.

2. Expand it out even further (like Katamari?). Once you get the belt, maybe show the galaxy and let you do the same thing with 100's of swarms against other rings.

3. Show tooltips over every planet when you hold down the shift key.

4. Put a little indicator around the planets that are full, like the combat ring but maybe just something to remind you of what planets you forgot.

5. The click info box kept getting in the way. Having that off in a dedicated area would be nice, or to make it smaller on the side or bottom, like a progress bar.

6. I didn't figure out if there was a full screen mode, but that would have been very nice. I have one of them fancy 1080 monitors and it was so tiny. Smiley

7. Never figured out what the colored bar or the power thing was good for. Smiley Didn't seem to impact play at all.

8. Bigger trees. Smiley

I had a blast playing this though. Thank you!
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 05, 2008, 07:10:47 AM »

You are welcome :-)
Thanks again all for the terrific feedback. It is all being collated for future improvements :-)

jai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 05, 2008, 07:36:27 AM »

Hi

i am using version 1.01

on one machine (old sony Pentium 4) it crashes on start up
on 2 different dual dual core xeon systems is crashes around the same point )it feels like its just when the game gets going after  have 7 or so planets/asteriods going.

all systems are running xp pro (all have 3 gb ram and various geforce graphics cards)

not sure if this helps....
i will try it on a few more if i get a chance.

Alex May
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2008, 07:47:46 AM »

I've had a bit of info which will help me fix a now-known crash bug, and I'll put in a few more checks besides that and maybe release a bugtesting version too. More info soon!

jai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2008, 10:25:05 AM »

ok played quite a few games now- on 2 systems -have even finished a few.... the crash seems to be fairly consistent with 3 or 4 ai opponents on screen at any one time...

hope this helps

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic