Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:41:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Chess Chaos [playable demo released]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Chess Chaos [playable demo released]  (Read 5587 times)
Siro
Level 0

Knowledge brings fear - Futurama

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2011, 01:05:20 PM »

Let's try this compo, even if I never completed a videogame!

Chess Chaos is a turn-based battle game involving 2-4 players. (hotseat, I don't think I'm able to program Lan/Internet battles)
It is written in Game Maker.

DEMO (try it):
http://rawmeat4ossola.altervista.org/Sprites/ChessChaos.zip

Controls: Numpad arrows (8-4-6-2) = directions, Control = confirm, Shift = cancel.

It consists of two main phases:
PHASE 1 - BUILD YOUR ARMY
Every player is given 1000 credits, and [n] units are randomly created and shown to the players. Units are assigned using an auction system, starting from the first unit to the last (so you can offer all your credits for a unit and let other players get ALL THE OTHERS Grin)
PHASE 2 - BATTLE
The battle is played in a single-screen battlefield, where players deploys their units. The order of play is defined by another auction, where players can spend their remaining credits. On the map there are some gathering points that grant extra credits to the one who controls them, and every [n] turns there is a new draft for extra units (not much, or the game will be too long).
The survivor wins!
Turns evolve like this:
START - All units are active
First player moves and attacks with one unit, that unit is deactivated.
Second player moves and attacks with one unit, that unit is deactivated.
[Third...]
[Fourth...]
First again... And so on.
When every single unit has moved (is deactivated), the turn ends and a new one begins.

UNITS
Every units has some stats (Attack, Armor, Life, Energy and Speed) and some special abilities (like charging, moving in diagonals, shooting arrows or some spells). Their stats and abilities are defined by their class and modified by their race, with a little bit of random (but not much).
RACES:
Humans, Orcs, Goblins, Skeletons, Nagas, Catfolks.
CLASSES:
Bowman, Spearman, Priest, Swordsman, Sorcerer, Shield-Bearer.

Graphic is Spectrum/Atari-like, with monocromatics sprites (8x8 pixels) and 16 colors limit. The sprites are obviously an Oryx/Oddball homage-mod-ripoff. (I love them, seriously Smiley)

Preview

WIP Spritesheet

DONE SO FAR:
-Basic graphic is ok (6 classes x 6 races + some special units, environment & other useful stuff)
-Working on Phase 2: You can select units, view their stats and move them, after that they become inactive. Message system is also ok
-The code for ability system is done
-Playable demo! (not fun to play Tongue)
-Big units implemented
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:49:49 AM by Siro » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 03:39:20 PM »

Holy shiz that looks absolutely gorgeous, and that gameplay sounds really neat, with the credit system and such. I so want to play this.  Kiss
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 05:53:17 PM »

Looks great, I'm a sucker for Spectrum-like retro graphics. I like the idea of having to bid for the services of mercenary unit. That'll add an interesting dynamic when very powerful units are introduced. In the sprite sheet there are some boss monsters, will you be able to bid for them as well as the standard units?

Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:26:09 AM »

In the sprite sheet there are some boss monsters, will you be able to bid for them as well as the standard units?
Yes, the idea is that every race has a special unit (16x16 pixels): Golem for Humans, Cyclop for Orcs, Troll for Goblins, Ancient for Skeletons, Medusa for Nagas and Cattaur for Catfolks. Everyone can bid for them, but the idea is that they are more easy to control/give more bonuses if you have some units of their race (idk how this will work right now). And maybe I'll add some more big units not linked to a specifical race (in the spritesheet there are a Minotaur, a Wyvern, a Demon and a Treant).

In the same way, maybe I'll add some "captains" that give bonuses to the units of their same race - but again not a big bonus; I like the idea that you can build and interracial army and I don't want to unbalance the auction system, we'll see...
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:12:21 AM »

In the sprite sheet there are some boss monsters, will you be able to bid for them as well as the standard units?
Yes, the idea is that every race has a special unit (16x16 pixels): Golem for Humans, Cyclop for Orcs, Troll for Goblins, Ancient for Skeletons, Medusa for Nagas and Cattaur for Catfolks. Everyone can bid for them, but the idea is that they are more easy to control/give more bonuses if you have some units of their race (idk how this will work right now). And maybe I'll add some more big units not linked to a specifical race (in the spritesheet there are a Minotaur, a Wyvern, a Demon and a Treant).

In the same way, maybe I'll add some "captains" that give bonuses to the units of their same race - but again not a big bonus; I like the idea that you can build and interracial army and I don't want to unbalance the auction system, we'll see...

Love the sprites, and I'm a huge fan of turn-based strategy games, so  Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Left

As a fellow never-finished-a-game-before you have all my support :D This competitions are awesome to keep oneself motivated :DD Keep up the hard work!

BTW That ancient looks really cthulhu-ish xD And I've never heard about cattaurs before, so I just googled it. Interesting.

Beta soon? :D

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »

BTW That ancient looks really cthulhu-ish xD And I've never heard about cattaurs before, so I just googled it. Interesting.

Beta soon? :D
Well, it's called Ancient for a reason... Wink
And about cattaurs, I hope you didn't find some terrible furry images on google... Tongue

I hope in a beta quite soon, let's see if I can divide my time equally between this project, my job, WoW and Minecraft. Cheesy

Right now I'm programming action of units after movement (attack, spells and so on).
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:13:33 AM »

And about cattaurs, I hope you didn't find some terrible furry images on google... Tongue

Unfortunately, I did. Well, good luck with the project, and call for help if u need some testing. I'll be following this :D

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

Interesting premise, and the graphics look delicious. Looking forward to trying this one Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »

Is this by any chance inspired by the classic game Chaos which came out on the Spectrum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos:_The_Battle_of_Wizards

Because it looks and sounds a lot like it. And that's Very Good Thing(tm), since in my opinion that was probably the greatest computer game ever made.

ink.inc
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »

Cattaur

Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 11:47:40 PM »

Is this by any chance inspired by the classic game Chaos which came out on the Spectrum?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos:_The_Battle_of_Wizards
Oh yes, Chaos is the main inspiration for this game - as the name "Chess Chaos" suggests.  Smiley
I love Chaos and I want to recreate some feelings of the original game, but I'm not trying to do a remake... Mainly because I think that in Chaos the RNG is too powerful. I want to try and make a game where luck is necessary but not that much, and where skill makes the difference (like in chess). So units have a static damage, static speed and static abilities... Random numbers will be present only in the creation of the batllefield and in the creation of the units that will be available to buy...

I hope this can work!
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:21:54 AM »

I want to try and make a game where luck is necessary but not that much, and where skill makes the difference (like in chess). So units have a static damage, static speed and static abilities... Random numbers will be present only in the creation of the batllefield and in the creation of the units that will be available to buy...

I hope this can work!

Sir, thou rocks  Gentleman I'd rather skill than luck in every single game. Totally agreeing.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:53:10 AM »

Oh yes, Chaos is the main inspiration for this game - as the name "Chess Chaos" suggests.  Smiley
I love Chaos and I want to recreate some feelings of the original game, but I'm not trying to do a remake...
I whole heartedly approve. Chaos is one of my all time favourites. I know you're trying to take it in a different direction than Chaos, but please put in an Uncontrollable Gooey Blob unit. Beg

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:06 PM »

Also colour me tenatively approving. I've "experienced" several Chaos remakes and re-imaginings in my time, and they've been universally awful - examples include "It's Chaos but with more horrible graphics!", "It's Chaos but where you get like 10 Golden Dragons and 10 Gooey Blobs 'cos they were the most awesome!", "It's Chaos but with poorly-balanced new spells"... Ugh.

What's promising about this is that you've identified the weaknesses in the original game: an over-reliance on randomly generated spell lists, and (I hope, anyway) a realisation that the original's controls and interface were clunky at best. I like the mechanics of bidding on the coolest stuff, and I'm intrigued to see how it would work. I think it might take some of the surprise out of the game, but at the same time I could see it adding a lot, with players double-guessing what their opponents might do based on what they know they have. Could become quite psychological.

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

Sorry for the mini hijack, but if you want a great Chaos remake, you cant do much better than this PD effort for the Atari ST.  It has slightly updated graphics, and many, many samples from 80s & 90s English comedy like red dwarf, black adder, etc.  Absolutley fun.

And as for your game, looks great, I like the idea of more skill and less randomness a lot.

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »

I know you're trying to take it in a different direction than Chaos, but please put in an Uncontrollable Gooey Blob unit. Beg
Hahaha, Gooey Blob is one of my favourite spell in Chaos, I'll think about it. Cheesy
I was thinking about adding some objects (like a +1 Attack Sword) and spells in the auction phase, but idk if I'll have the time to code that. I'll start with the basics and maybe I'll add it later...

@LemonScented
I think that you just can't add something to the original Chaos, it's almost perfect. Sure, it's bugged, luck is fundamental and the graphics are so old but... It's just fun to play! That's why I don't want to do a remake but a different game, obviously inspired by that. Main focus will be on fun and balance...

@darklight
Trying that remake asap! Smiley

UPDATE: Basic combat phase implemented. Deactivation of unit after their action works. Next I'll add the skill system and the other players - right now only Player1 can play (and only kill his own units Grin).
Albert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 04:16:46 AM »

Looks promising.
Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:10 AM »

I'm not dead, I'm only slow! Shrug

These are all the units I'm planning to add in the game:

Ability system is almost done, after that I'll release a playable alpha with two standard armies (or at least I hope so... Tongue).
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »

Well, keep on it, I really want to try this Tongue

Btw: Purple Ancient = Pimpthulhu

Siro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »

Demo released!

http://rawmeat4ossola.altervista.org/Sprites/ChessChaos.zip

CONTROLS: arrows numpad arrows (8,4,6,2) + ctrl (select) & shift (cancel)

It's only the engine, not fun to play right now... But feedback is appreciated. Wink

Next I'll try adding big units... (16x16 pixels, so huuuuge! Cheesy)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:26:05 PM by Siro » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic