Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:02:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Radical Viking Carnage (First game.. Don't expect much.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Radical Viking Carnage (First game.. Don't expect much.)  (Read 1815 times)
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »

Basically I wouldn't normally have done this, but this post...

Listen man, my advice to you and anyone else who wants to make games is to just go for it. Your life will change, for the better.

Buy a copy of Game Maker, or download Flashpunk or whatever, and just fucking get started. No excuses. Because if not now, then when? Admittedly, you might not finish your first project, and what you do finish will probably be shit, but that's okay. Just get started, and learn as fast as you can. And luckily for you, TIGS is (in my opinion) the best community to do that in.

by John Sandoval in this thread inspired me to try to make a game for the competition.

I joined this community to try to start making games, but I kept making excuses to not even attempt anything. I don't know anything about programming and I don't know much about pixel art and animation. However, I'm going to at least try. I most likely won't finish this, but I'm going to start something.

The only competitive games I like are fighting games, so this is one of those. Basically, it is just two vikings brawling it out on a ship on the open sea. It's only going to be 2 player, and at first I'm only going to have 1 character in 2 different colors and one level. However, if I accomplish those I'll try to add more character and level choices. Not a very unique idea, but I don't think I could accomplish something innovative or new.

I'll try to get something done to post a screenshot of soon. I hate it when development logs don't have any pictures, so I don't want to be a hypocrite.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:11:21 PM by cynicalsandel » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »

o wow

Well man, good for you. If you need any help, programming wise, we're here to help; just ask.

What are you devving in? GM?
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 09:26:16 PM »

Please add the Versus message icon on your thread. And good luck. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 11:26:16 PM »

Whence you add more levels, go for different styles of ship. Junk, Bastion, Yacht, Spaceship...
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

What are you devving in? GM?

Indeed. I have the Pro Version of Game Maker 8.

Please add the Versus message icon on your thread. And good luck. Grin

Sorry, when I was posting the original topic, I was in a hurry. It has been changed.

So basically, this is my first time making pixel art. I've been working on the Viking, but work has been slow.

At first, I had that, but I started over.

Now I have this. I'm still working on it, but I thought I'd post to hopefully get some advice. I don't know much about sprites. I've read all the pixel art tutorials that were linked in the tutorial section, but I'm struggling. I didn't realize how different pixel art is from just drawing. I can't draw legs for either though.  Smiley

Thanks!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic