Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:26:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Yourglass: A Game of Giving [Finished]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Yourglass: A Game of Giving [Finished]  (Read 10726 times)
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:53 AM »

Ladies and gentlemen, TIGlets and TIGgers (that has potential) I present to you our first TIGcompo entry and release-title, Yourglass!

(introductory music)

It is a very humble game for two players, local. Based on an idea which was originally concocted by my friend Joy and then subsequently spun-off into in the following mock-up (indigestion was involved). Details forthcoming.

The objective of the game is to frantically tilt the hourglass and empty one's half onto one's partner's.

(Doesn't quite look identical to the mocks, but it's close.)

The game is now finished.

Windows Package: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/164058/yourglass/yourglass.zip
.Love for all Seasons: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/164058/yourglass/yourglass.love

Please also install LÖVE for your system if you're downloading the .love

Controls are simple:
Player Blue: Left/right to tilt glass, down to "insist"!
Player Red: A/D to tilt, and S to "insist"!

Escape to reset to title, alt+f4 to quit.

No need to thank, it was our gentlemanly DUTY.

Picked on (and not picked-on) over at IndieGames.com! My Word!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:23:32 AM by Scio » Logged
medieval
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »

This looks AWESOME. but the messages just jump from one to another without giving me time to read the gentlemanly comments!

I am sure it would be great otherwise
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 03:58:25 AM »

I'm glad that you (otherwise Wink) like the game Yoshimitsu. A hearty thanks~!

As for the restlessness of the gentlemanly banter; the dialog slows down (and colors) when any exchange of sand takes place. All other times, it is supposed to change at an unreadable pace.

Is the duration of the slow-down too short?
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:50 AM »

I swear I posted a comment here earlier but it looks like it didn't get through. Just wanted to say I really enjoyed playing this, it was surprisingly good fun.

Maybe multiple levels could be made, with unusual-shaped hourglasses? Like with a small section of maze/obstacles in the middle, or something. Powerups that invert the keys I DON'T KNOW. It's great as it is, nice and simple, though. Enjoying it. Smiley

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:31:22 AM »

Excellent ideas!!

I was already considering differently shaped GRAINS of different sizes, along with physics-altering power-ups; control-switching adds beautifully to that. The thought of differently shaped glasses never occurred to me; potential!!

Thanks for trying the game (and liking too)!

Now, I'm supposed to be working on my main TIGcompo entry which is barely progressing...but I WILL implement those features soon.
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35:56 AM »

One of the things I liked about it was that the closeness of the other player in local play meant that it almost felt like a family game/boardgame. I kept shouting and trying to put the other person off. It was great. Tongue

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:46 AM »

The game it's really fun! I just had a great time with a friend playing on the library xD
I find weird that ultraspeedy changing text, but when it slowdown it shows the comments just right.

Please, add "Have at thee!" as coment!

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:47:14 AM »

:glee:

Sadly, It has mostly been my left-hand versus my right for me (left keeps winning, that bastard) but I'm glad it works out in practice!

I hope my other (main) Versus project gets done in time and is remotely as fun...  Gentleman

And I do suspect that Sir Ortega did not unduly disturb the other gentlemen who were asleep-- I mean, reading at the library!

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 05:39:58 AM »

And I do suspect that Sir Ortega did not unduly disturb the other gentlemen who were asleep-- I mean, reading at the library!

Of course not  Roll Eyes Anyway, I have played it a few times more with other friends, and last match was awesome xD
It lasted a long time, and both me and the other player were trying to read each other mind, and spin the yourglass in advance, playing with spin momentum, etc...

By the way, when the yourglass spin too quickly some of the balls got shooted out of it. Fortunately you based the winning condition on a percentage of balls, I guess, as we were able to finish the match without problems.

I won, obviously. I'm good at sharing Tongue

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 06:12:50 AM »

By the way, when the yourglass spin too quickly some of the balls got shooted out of it.

Oh yes, that is a known...feature.

I intended to fix it, but I soon discovered that a winning tactic was to simply time your rotation with your partner and empty as much of the glass as possible. Easier to trick your opponent with less sand.

By-the-book, the Objective is simply to empty one's half. What your partner receives is mere formality. My Word!
Also, the only "foolproof" solution to the issue seems to slow the game down too much.

I won, obviously. I'm good at sharing Tongue

I say, a bona-fide gentleman!
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »

What is the PG rating for this game
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:48:05 AM »

What is the PG rating for this disgusting game

It would be GO: Gentlemen Only.
Mega
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 01:38:19 PM »

I second thoughted that strikethrough, you must forum sit.
anyway this game is speaking to me in ways I dont want it to. So Im banning it.
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:51 PM »

I second thoughted that strikethrough, you must forum sit.
anyway this game is speaking to me in ways I dont want it to. So Im banning it.

Preposterous! I assure you, the singular potentially misunderstandable reference to a female canine is made in gentlemanly high-spirits.

Furthermore, the odds of that particular phrase appearing is only 1 in 22.
Or do the gentlemen get carried away too much so that it should be a point of correction?

Banning it how, though? Should I be proud that my first ever game is also ban-worthy? Undecided
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »

Added template for finished entries. Please update yours:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17283.msg493412
Scio
Level 0

bespectacled b/noob

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 01:19:18 AM »

Added template for finished entries. Please update yours:

Template added.
I was confused, so I added the BBcode too... :]
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 12:39:43 PM »

We played it, it was nice, but we didn't quite get the hang of it...
Also we didn't understand the reason for the sentences running too fast.
The graphics were pretty though.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 02:09:09 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

Played for a while with different players, but never got a satisfying win/lose condition or win input.
- Text in the readme did not help. Please get to the point with readme text.

I appreciate this is a vehicle for your writing style, or your writing style is part of the atmosphere of the product, but all of it interfered with the experience and the lack of in-game feedback made us have to give-up after a while. We all felt as though there was more to this game.

twitter: @docky
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »

This was a fun game, but ultimately hard to lose. I love the concept as an abstraction of polite society, where the competition is to be the most generous person in the room, so in that case, the game ending by boredom and one player submitting to the other's willingness to continue is probably valid, sort of like an arm wrestle between two equally matched opponents.

Still, though, I think it could use something to break the balance, even making it harder to spin the hourglass if you have the most marbles. Or something.

Anyway, I really like this game, it's so polished. And I love the randomly generated conversation of pleasantries.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »

Played a few rounds of this the other day, our group really liked it. One person already knew how to play (or "got it" right away, I'm not sure which) and explained it to the rest of us. I'm not sure we would have understood it otherwise, as I noticed at least one person was getting frustrated until they understood the controls. The trick is to understand that the middle button essentially sets the "power" of your other inputs which push the glass left or right.

Rounds can go on for a while. Maybe there is some subtle way to give the person winning an advantage? On the other hand, fighting back from the brink of a loss can be a lot of fun.

We liked the visual design. Except one person who said it reminded him of Domino's Pizza. Smiley

I'm not a huge fan of the constantly flashing text. It just made for confusing feedback. Maybe, instead, have the text change whenever a player pushes the left or right? Since players are pushing buttons a lot, it could achieve a similar effect but with a more reasonable cause.

This turned into one of our more preferred games. Thanks for making it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic