Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:17:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopiPhone game icons - critique and advice?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iPhone game icons - critique and advice?  (Read 4865 times)
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »

I'm working on the icon for my game, Greedy Bankers, which I'm developing for iPhone and iPad.

I've come up with two designs so far, not entirely sure on either of them.

Design #1: (114px) (54px)

Design #2: (114px) (54px)

My personal feelings are that design #1 is visually clearer at the small scale, but looks fairly unintersting. Design #2 has much more personality, but it's very complicated and doesn't read at 57px.

Does anyone have any advice that could help me improve them? Many thanks in advance!

For context, here's a couple of screenshots of the in-progress game. It's an arcade-style puzzler

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:55:28 PM »

Update: I tried changing the background on #2 to make it less busy, and focus attention on the face. Any improvement?

Design #2b (114px) (57px)

My instinct is that the face is still a little complicated. Perhaps I need to simplify the shading and make the outlines clearer and bolder, rather than the shadows.

Kevin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 05:05:27 PM »

Design 1 definitely reduces better, and I find it just as, if not more, visually appealing because of it's simplicity, rather than despite it. It's and icon, right? Should be iconic, easily readable and recognizable at a glance. The 'moneybags and gems' thing might be a little generic*, but it definitely works better than the second design, far as I'm concerned.

*I say this only for the sake of criticism. Personally I think it's fine, and it fits the theme of the game.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:46:55 PM »

I would go with Design 1 because of the recognizable symbolism. The dude in Design 2 does not bring to mind "cash money" to anyone who has not already played the game.

Kramlack
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:54:27 PM »

Design 1 for the reason SundownKid said. As an image, it's also less busy and more readable.
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:33:45 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. Interesting that all of you are gravitating towards design #1. You're right about the clarity and the symbolism being important here, and #1 really has that, while #2 doesn't.

The purpose of the icon is that it will be the first image that people see on the App Store, so it should pique their interest in some way. It needs to look like a professional product, and also one that'll be fun to play with.

#1 is still too generic for that, as it looks a bit much like a standard business/finance app. So I wanted to include a face to give it some personality, and make it look like fun. Do you think there's a way I could incorportate a face into design #1, or some other way of giving it personality?

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

Actually I think #1 has tons of personality. A couple reasons really:

- Your style of illustration indicates playful rather than serious
- Jewels and a money bag with a $ sign? I am thinking of Scrooge McDuck, not my taxes!

It's good.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic