Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:59:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationSpace Cat on Mutant Planet [FINISHED, v0.2]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Space Cat on Mutant Planet [FINISHED, v0.2]  (Read 25804 times)
RayRayTea
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 07:33:57 PM »

superflat, xion: Thanks! I cleaned it up a bit.
http://i31.tinypic.com/10de5if.png

thief0: Maybe we should ask Shrimp's cat...
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 11:48:52 PM »

World generation is coming along pretty well - there's a wrap-around surface layer with various area types laid out along it (but not displayed as anything more than a debug string yet) and caverns below the surface.

Other stuff that's gone in: the jetpack, crashed spaceship, NPCs shooting (although this is currently far too random for the non-abstract style of the game).

I'm hoping to post a demo later today (i.e. 12 hours or so).

@thief0: Not from the VGNG, but maybe subconsciously inspired by it.  Also not from my cat. His ideas are more along the lines of 00000000000000000222222222211111111 [...etc]

Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »

I love the shit out of the style you're going for.
medieval
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:08 AM »

You do realize that you have to put ALL OF THOSE FRIGGEN SKETCHES in your game...

Right?
PowRTocH
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »

Oh my god that sprite is beautiful. Shocked
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:04 PM »

Here's a demo then. You can't complete the game as the spaceship parts aren't placed yet. You can just fly/run around shooting things.

z = jetpack
x = fire
left/right cursors to move

(I just thought - people with non-qwerty keyboards might hate z and x... shout if so and I'll do an update with some alternate buttons)

- NPCs are stupid at the moment and all have about the same behaviour. Soon (?) they should have various tendencies to jump/attack/etc.
- There's a bug where sometimes you get stuck in the scenery when flipping screens
- Player has no animations yet
- Lots of placeholder graphics...
- Health is very high
- NPC bullets are a bit nuts. Planning to re-work this system.
- ... oh, and NPC placement is pretty meaningless right now...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 01:40:57 PM by shrimp » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 01:58:24 PM »

Obviously needs a ton of tweaking, but it looks gorgeous. The map looks surprisingly natural.

Also, I found your animation editor Tongue
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 02:12:20 PM »

Thanks - that's nice to hear about the map!

Also, I found your animation editor Tongue

Oh yeah  Embarrassed
Hehe - and that editor isn't even used on this project. (Not that there's anything procedural going on with the anims, I just wrote something to import from gridded images instead.)

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »

I cannot get it to work! Cry It just stays on the title screen, with Space Cat in big letters and title in tiny letters. I can go to the animation editor, too, but no the actual game.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »

I cannot get it to work! Cry It just stays on the title screen, with Space Cat in big letters and title in tiny letters. I can go to the animation editor, too, but no the actual game.

You have to press Z or X Wink
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 04:32:11 PM »

Doesn't do anything.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »

I just hit random stuff and eventually it started. I think it might have been enter.

Nice game, by the way - this is really nice base to build your game off :D I look forward to playing it more when the level design shapes up a bit!

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 05:11:00 PM »

Nada. Though I think it just freezes up on the loading, because if I hit z and then change windows back and forth it's got the other window frozen on it.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

That was great fun! Even though there's a lot of polish needs to be done, the core gameplay seems to be enjoyable already.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

Nada. Though I think it just freezes up on the loading, because if I hit z and then change windows back and forth it's got the other window frozen on it.

Hi Inane - how old is your graphics card? Unfortunately when fixing some draw-order issues I broke support for cards that don't do OpenGL vertex arrays. I will try to fix this...
Alternatively, it may have crashed on world generation, although I haven't seen this happen. Is there an error message in the window title bar?

Thanks for the encouraging words, those that could run it...!

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

"Need to use this to use Z level drawing" is in the titlebar after hitting Z.
The laptop I'm on has a pretty crap graphics card (Intel GMA 950, to be precise) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was it Sad.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »

"Need to use this to use Z level drawing" is in the titlebar after hitting Z.
The laptop I'm on has a pretty crap graphics card (Intel GMA 950, to be precise) so I wouldn't be surprised if that was it Sad.

Ah yes. Sorry about that Sad
I'll investigate a fix after a bit more gameplay has gone in.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 12:25:39 AM »

It should at least be clearing the screen, unless your OpenGL support doesn't even extend to glClear. Sounds like something fishy's going on. I'll have a think

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 12:37:02 AM »

It should at least be clearing the screen, unless your OpenGL support doesn't even extend to glClear. Sounds like something fishy's going on. I'll have a think

I don't think it's anything so mysterious - it just throws an exception in the rendering code when vertex arrays aren't available. Talk to you on MSN...

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 10:57:34 AM »

Help no longer needed... there was some trans-atlantic miscommunication!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 11:52:12 AM by shrimp » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic