Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:58:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Worms + XCOM = This
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Worms + XCOM = This  (Read 5830 times)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:41:33 PM »

11/02/11
- Updated graphics.
- Pixel perfect collision detection.
- Terrain destruction.
- Particle system for nifty explosions etc.

Original post:

Hey guys! Due to the amount of hero vs dungeon style games, i decided to work on another entry to spice things up a bit. I will still work on my other entry whilst i'm working on this one.

On to the actual post!

The game will play much like Worms, a platformer with destructible terrain - however the movement will be more like XCOM in that you use time units as you move.

For example lets say my little guy has 50 time units. For each second his body is in motion, he will lose 2 time units. When it comes to firing, he will lose 10 time units for each shot (maybe i will base the time units lost on the weight of the weapon).

A little extra explanation:
In Worms players have a set time in which to make their turn. Sometimes this forces players to make a desperation move, as they don't have enough time left to think about all their options. This will not happen by using time units.
Also with Worms, once a player has fired their weapon their turn ends. By using time units, a player that is low on hitpoints will be able to fire at an enemy, then retreat to a safe distance.

I hope this clarifies why i have chosen to use time units!

Here's a screen of what i have so far (sorry about the stretch!):
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:07:05 PM by Nugsy » Logged

DrOctapu
Level 0

Brutally modest.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:33:10 PM »

You're supposed to use the Versus icon in your thread.

Add me on...
 Desura | Steam
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:14 PM »

Sounds pretty interesting. Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »

You're supposed to use the Versus icon in your thread.

I will put more info up tomorrow when i'm not falling asleep at the keyboard.

Haha. Thanks for the reminder!

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:06 AM »

Rather than imposing slightly artificial sounding "time units" why not have things play out in real time, and have shots intrinsically take a little while to setup or recover from?

You could either run multiple players simultaneously or do timed turn after timed turn, both would be an interesting tweak on conventional worms style gameplay, and yet wouldn't completely give itself over to the relative franticness of liero and it's ilk.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:02:08 AM »

Rather than imposing slightly artificial sounding "time units" why not have things play out in real time, and have shots intrinsically take a little while to setup or recover from?

You could either run multiple players simultaneously or do timed turn after timed turn, both would be an interesting tweak on conventional worms style gameplay, and yet wouldn't completely give itself over to the relative franticness of liero and it's ilk.

I can't go real time as i am using the mouse for some controls and the game is local multiplayer, and Worms already does timed turn after timed turn!

Have you played XCOM before? Time units may sound artificial but they work extremely well.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »

and Worms already does timed turn after timed turn!

The difference would be that in your game an 'agent' will be able to take multiple shots at the expense of moving less, etc.

Have you played XCOM before? Time units may sound artificial but they work extremely well.

I have played XCOM.  Time units (or similar systems) are a good solution to providing real time style action within a system that is sufficently complex to make real time play unfeasible.  My problem with with applying the same system to a worms style game is that the system is unlikely to be sufficently complex.

A slightly different spin on it is that I don't see what "time units" would give you that improves on timed turn real time.  You may well have ideas about it that you've not revealed so far though  Shrug

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 05:19:01 AM »

To me, one advantage is that in Worms you could move as far as possible in 30 seconds, or whatever. It didn't let you have thinking time, whereas this does - everyone gets the same portion of action. Thinking doesn't subtract from it.

Additionally, in Worms most weapons fired once. This lets you manage movement and action more chunkily.

Games By ANGELINA - Games designed by artificial intelligence!
Cut Garnet Games - Games designed by me!
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 05:31:01 AM »

I think my first post is probably causing confusion. I'll update it now and try to get some more information in there.
Smiley

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:34:09 AM »

Due to the amount of hero vs dungeon based games
Lips Sealed

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 05:41:31 AM »

Lips Sealed

What does this mean? Sad

Edit: Updated the first post in an attempt to clarify why i chose time units.
Also, i think i know what you mean FinalSin. Reworded it a little if that was the problem.

Edit 2: Jonathan, are you thinking of this game as Worms with XCOM elements, or as XCOM played as a platformer? (If you had to choose between the two).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 05:48:04 AM by Nugsy » Logged

Maikel_Ortega
Level 1

...and the stars, my destination.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »

Lips Sealed

He's making a "hero vs dungeon" based game. You made him angry, and he's a T-Rex. You're screwed dude  Roll Eyes

Jokes apart, this game seems interesting. Man, everyone is proceduraly generating things. I want to learn to proceduraly generate something T_T.

I demand a weapon that procedurally generates bullets/beams, treelike :D

Melee Studios:http://melee-studios.com<br />Forever WIP (ESP devlog): http://maikel.londite.es/devlog/
FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 06:07:29 AM »

Lips Sealed

He's making a "hero vs dungeon" based game. You made him angry, and he's a T-Rex. You're screwed dude  Roll Eyes

Looks like it's time for us to take a walk to the chinese buffet.

(It's all you can eat KNUCKLE SANDWICHES)

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 06:13:56 AM »

Looks like it's time for us to take a walk to the chinese buffet.

(It's all you can eat KNUCKLE SANDWICHES)

Cheesy

FinalSin
Level 1

Too bad they lose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 06:22:58 AM »

I have amended my signature in a similar fashion, just so everyone knows I am not to be messed with!

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »

Edit 2: Jonathan, are you thinking of this game as Worms with XCOM elements, or as XCOM played as a platformer? (If you had to choose between the two).

Worms with singular XCOM element.

Your extra explanation does make things clearer, a time unit system can certainly kill the "desperation move" thing.

I would note that I've come to believe the desperation moves are one of the biggest sources of amusement in worms (accidently jumping in the water, grenading your own worm etc).  Removing them will change the dynamics substantially, care will be required.

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:42:38 AM »

Worms with singular XCOM element.

Your extra explanation does make things clearer, a time unit system can certainly kill the "desperation move" thing.

I would note that I've come to believe the desperation moves are one of the biggest sources of amusement in worms (accidently jumping in the water, grenading your own worm etc).  Removing them will change the dynamics substantially, care will be required.

Try to think of it the other way round, it will look more like Worms, but it will play more like XCOM (XCOM being more tactical than Worms). Hand Thumbs Up Left

I agree that some desperation moves can be hilarious, especially with friends. However they can sometimes be very frustrating too!

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »

Hey guys. Been working mostly on graphics and behind the scenes stuff, but here is an updated screenshot for you to ponder, hope you like it!

The behind the scenes stuff is pixel perfect collision detection, destruction of terrain and a particle system for sweet explosions.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:04:36 PM by Nugsy » Logged

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 06:31:28 PM »

I thought the time limit system used in Worms was just fine for that game, but I'm interested to see how it plays differently with your system. Frankly, Worms + Anything sounds like something I'd want to play (with the possible exception of "Worms + More Weapons + Worse Graphics", which seems to have been Team 17's business model for years).

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »

I thought the time limit system used in Worms was just fine for that game, but I'm interested to see how it plays differently with your system. Frankly, Worms + Anything sounds like something I'd want to play (with the possible exception of "Worms + More Weapons + Worse Graphics", which seems to have been Team 17's business model for years).

That gave me a chuckle haha.

Should have some more updates later today guys.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic