Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1402151 Posts in 68044 Topics- by 61637 Members - Latest Member: CameronDiaz2001

August 18, 2022, 02:34:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopWorkshop Challenge! [Current Subject: Cowboys]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Workshop Challenge! [Current Subject: Cowboys]  (Read 3354 times)
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 03, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »

Workshop Challenge

What is this?

This is a weekly session, in which you are given a subject to draw. Once this is done, you'll receive critique on what's good, what's bad, and how to improve the bad.

What's the goal?

To hopefully stretch yourself to draw things that you wouldn't normally draw. To learn from drawing what you don't know. To apply what you learn to future art.

How does it work?

1.) Every Friday (since that's when I'm starting it) I'll put up a new subject. You'll have two days to draw and post your take on said subject.

2.)The next day, posts will be critiqued, and you'll be given two more days to fix it.

3.)The final day will be discussing how it turned out, and further critique.

4.) We start over with a new subject.

...Or something along those lines, anyway.

Any other rules?

Nope, any medium is fine.

Be aware that others are allowed to edit your work to show you a point.

Also, try to get your stuff in on time.

Current Subject:
Cowboys

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »

you'll receive critique on what's good, what's bad, and how to improve the bad ugly.
Well, hello there!

Drawing, will post when I can't be bothered to do more  Smiley

I AM FREE!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 03:07:15 AM »

here's a cowboy hat to get the ball rolling ...  Gentleman

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

RAWR

Ashkin
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »

I might pixel something later, always looking to improve my skill.
pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:07 PM »

thoroughly late  Durr...?

I AM FREE!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »

Suggestion for improvement..

..but srsly, that's a nice drawing pen. Hand Thumbs Up Left

pen
Level 8

babyman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »

Suggestion for improvement..

..but srsly, that's a nice drawing pen. Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks. I'll bite the bullet (har har!) and try to add the hat and actual clothes.

I AM FREE!
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »

You make the rest of us look bad, pen! D:

Sorry I haven't offered any feedback or a submission yet. I've been pretty busy with school and whatnot (and a missing tablet pen!). I'll post a drawing of my own tomorrow, as well as feedback.

Squiggly_P
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »

Wow, crap, I wish I had seen this when it started up. I been wanting to get some more painting practice in. I dunno if I should rush one out or not, cause I don't wanna just make something sloppy for the sake of participating when the goal is to do one's best. I will definitely do the next one.

I do have a couple hours right now, tho, so I will edit this post later tonight to add something.

EDIT:

I definitely need to broaden my vocabulary. I should have done thumbnails and stuff instead of just doing the first thing that popped into my head. The vest thing was just blocked in, so yeah, that looks like crap. At the end I was like "Eh, I'll throw textures at it...  textures make anything look good..."

I'll do another one tomorrow when I have time.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:27:58 PM by Squiggly_P » Logged
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

I lied. Again.

Anyway, feedback part 1 is officially tomorrow, which means that the next will start on Sunday.

Damian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »

My bro's taken the graphics tablet so I decided to do a really quick pixel instead. Hope I'm not to late. This is actually meant for a darker background, because thats what I pixelled it on, but what the heck.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:56:57 PM »

Nice stuff everyone! I decided to do a quick sprite as well.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Nice stuff everyone! I decided to do a quick sprite as well.

Wow, nice!

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 07:23:16 PM »

Alright, feedback time!

@eigenbom

The only thing that I could see wrong with your hat was that the shadow at the bottom was a touch overdone. It makes the brim of the hat seem more curved than it should. The underside on the average hat of that style be only slightly curved.

@Landshark RAWR

The whole face looks a bit flat. There's no real depth to it. When you draw a face, you want to keep in mind this:

Your basic head outline. It shows where your character is looking and helps you determine how their hair and accessories fall. (BTW, I couldn't find my tablet, so this was don with a mouse.)

You should draw your features in first.

And then draw in the rest.

@pen

I only have a few nitpicks with yours. If I assume correctly, he's supposed to be looking at the viewer. If that's the case, then the (our) right eye ruins the effect a bit. The eyelid drooping over his iris combined with the fact that his other eye is all the way open makes me think that he is looking somewher to the right of my feet, as well as giving him a tired look. Raising the right eyelid a bit would fix this, and give him a more alert feel. Conversely, lowering the left eyelid to where the right is would do the same, only giving him a weary gaze.

The other thing is the muscle at the corner of the eye. It shouldn't stick out like that. Some of it is covered by the skin at the corner of the eye, giving is a crescent shape, if it even shows that much.

Overall, here's what the face says to me. The lips are slightly raised, giving me the impression of disdain. Depending on how you change the eyes, it would tell me a) he thinks that I'm a terrible human being, but there isn't anything he can do at the time, or b) the world has beat him down as a sheriff, and he wears a permanent look of disgust on his face at all the shit that goes on.

@Squiggly_P

I really like the face and hat. It's giving me a real 'shotgun-justice' vigilante feel, or maybe some creepy guy who lives in a ghost town. A problem with the hat, however is that it screams 'PILGRIM' to me. I think that this comes from the fact that the house is pointed at the edges of the brim, and maybe a little from the height. Rounding the brim and taking a quarter of the height off would make it look like a fine top hat.

Another problem that I have is that there is no distinguishing marks between the body parts clad in black. You can't tell where the legs overlap each other, or where the sleeves end. The (oddly colored, to be honest) vest helps a little with the arms, but a short white mark near the ends would help out a lot.

@Damian + green

I'm not a very good critic for pixel art. They both look good as for as posture and perspective go, however.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »

Alright, feedback time!

@eigenbom

The only thing that I could see wrong with your hat was that the shadow at the bottom was a touch overdone. It makes the brim of the hat seem more curved than it should. The underside on the average hat of that style be only slightly curved.

Thx for that, i concur. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic