Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:29:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Sprite
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Sprite  (Read 2323 times)
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »

Hello there. I'm Qbopper. Call me Quinn. I joined TIGsource a while ago but left it for a while (posted in Introduce Yourself because it's polite) and I thought the community was pretty nice and was the perfect place to post a little game I've been working on. I'm still working on getting into Java and I don't like Game Maker much (made a game when I was younger, left it alone since then), but a issue of PCGamer showed me a small little site/programming language/etc. called BYOND. I found BYOND easy to get into and I've been working on off on a project. I named it Project Sprite for lack of a better name and due to my love of Sprite. (I hope this isn't too much wall of text-ish for your taste).

Thanks to BYOND, Project Sprite has a basic engine set up for me, leaving me to focus on other things and (imho) deeming the game at least 10% 'done'. My intended direction is for the game to be similar to Wurm Online and Hearth and Haven, in that you can explore a world and build. It'll probably suck but I should learn from my mistakes...

I hope.

Here are some pictures of what I have so far. If they're really big, please excuse me for being an idiot.

My code. The comments are to remind me of things when I haven't coded in a while (like now).

All of my sprites I have. I do very much hate most of them. The fish won't be used until I fix my borked fishing code.

Combat. I don't know how to make enemies respawn or hit back yet but you mash attack until it dies and you pick up the gold. The gold goes into a simple variable. All it needs is a way to use it.

Thanks for actually reading this post. I hope that there have been far worse games than this before...
Rooky
Level 0

Prince of London

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:13:24 AM »

You know, this is a game dev forum and all. You could very easily recruit somebody to do some pretty nice graphics for you.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »

I always feel motivated to code more when I see some delicious sprite's that I get to add in Smiley
keramago
Level 0

i killed a man irl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

i dunno about you but i sometimes like utterly bad graphics because they tend to add a flare of humor regular good sprites just can't convey.

your top priority should probably be making your game fun though i dunno lol

~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~~*~*~ i am cat ~*~*~
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:12:50 PM »

Wow, I figured I would get at least semi negative comments (graphics suck and you should add moar stuff, for example). Last night I found out how to make the player 'read' signs. Turns out there's a Click() proc.

I just grabbed the complimentary Sprite and will get to work. Goal for the night: Make a shopkeeper, talk to him and buy a weapon that increases damage of player to mobs.

Secondary goal: make a vid. I don't have Youtube though...
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

Live post: Updates and pics as I code.

Finished the shop keep icon. A simple retextured player, but the player icon is less fugly.

I was lazy and made him a object over mob. I should stop that.

Current plan: Shopkeep tells you to click sword to buy, game checks if you have 500 gold, if so, subtract 500 gold from the player var. When attacking mobs, you should do more damage. Game checks if player has sword. If false, give error message.

The sword sprite is a wooden sword. I guess if you don't own the sword you tear apart the bugs with your hands. It's like Minecraft but instead of trees it's bugs with gold coin shaped organs. (I have a nasty idea...)

This sword hilt is the most beautiful thing I have ever made.  Tears of Joy

The sword came out ok. I have to check if you can see it over the planks though... actually I should be ok. Begin code tweaking before I feck it up with the sword.

I fecked up my code. 7 errors, half not even related to what I was doing. Grr.

6 errors. I fixed something.

I'll post this and keep another post open, just so you guys have an idea of what I'm doing. 7:48 PM here, let's do this before 9:00 PM!

Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 05:08:05 PM »

Live post continued: we left our part time coding hero as he fecked up his code! Everyone cheer for Quinn, kids!  Durr...?

HOLY HUCKING FELL FOLKS, WE MAY HAVE FIXED OUR PROBLEM! usr.wsword over var/wsword, it seems!

...one error seems to have fixed itself. Just one left (and one that magically appeared in the middle of clean code that uses nothing that I am doing atm)

Fixed the unrelated error. Indentation fix. Derp.

Hand Metal Left Well, hello there! Hand Metal Right Son (daughters), we haz fixed code!

Great terrible MS Paint mouse writing ftw

Time to implement it and hope it works.

Whoops, got my < and > backwards. I hope.

Turns out switching it for a == 1 was easier.

EFF YES! GOAL COMPLETED. Give me a video hosting service that isn't youtube and I will upload a video shortly.
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 05:52:09 PM »

Woah, imgshack hosts videos? Disregard that previous thing and bask in the low quality glitchyness that is a Camstudio recording!

(My word!) My Word!

(hey, if you want a better video, point out a trialless program or buy me FRAPS)

I apologize for how terrible it looks. You can read the very blurry text if you extend the screen.

http://img153.imageshack.us/i/wgb.mp4/
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 12:31:24 PM »

Fraps only work on OpenGL screens though, if I'm not mistaken... Not sure if that's what your game is using?

I would probably be fine.

EDIT : If anyone wants a thing to try my sloppy code out with, ask me in the thread. I can upload a EXE, but I might test it on a computer without BYOND first.
Qbopper
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:16 AM »

I hit a wall...

Anyone got any ideas on what to add next?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic