Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:36:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlight - On to the desert!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Blight - On to the desert!  (Read 12732 times)
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

Blight
Creator: Adam Prack
IRC Name: C7
Genre: Platformer

Like it on Facebook!

Alpha Release Trailer!

Blight is an independently-developed platformer that spans four kingdoms as you combat an industrialized race bent on draining every resource available out of the land. Players are helped along by a pendant that gives them the ability to harness a wall of power temporarily. This allows the player to block projectiles, clear pathways, disrupt enemies, raise dangerous obstacles and ceilings, and float temporarily.

Story
A young elf drew the short stick and was left on guard duty during the yearly Forest Guardian celebration.  He was charged with watching over the Forest Kingdom's Guardian Stone, an ancient relic said to protect the purity and focus of the Forest's Guardian.  He grew jealous and neglected his duties to watch some of the festivities from afar and fell asleep at his post.  The Guardian Stone was taken and the young elf was imprisoned for his negligence and possible conspiracy (or trickery).

While in his cell, a water nymph appears to him begging for his help saving the four Grand Kingdoms from an evil race spreading their influence like a plague and taking control of each kingdom's Guardians.  The kings would not believe her cries for help, but she's found a young elf who just might.  She aids in your escape in exchange for your help.

The journey spans the four Grand Kingdoms (Forest, Desert, Peaks, and Lakes) to restore the Guardians to their noble posts and stop the threat to all life around.

Screenshots

Form
The game world is made up of four worlds with four stages each (broken into two segments).  Currently the game supports Keyboard and Xbox 360 controller.  General gamepads will be added.  The game is single player.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 09:50:53 AM by adamprack » Logged

<--Check out my demo reel!

@Adam_Creations
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »

It's WONDERFUL!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:09 PM »

What an interesting visual style.
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:23:23 AM »

Thanks, you two! (so long as the one comment wasn't sarcastic  Tongue)

@Adam_Creations
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:06:09 PM »

The grass is wierd to look at, only because everything else is so much sharper.  Looks great otherwise.   Ninja Hand Thumbs Up Right

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:11:43 AM »

The graphics looks beautiful. It's a really unique and eye-catching style you've got there, yet also kind of subtle.

I have to say that the glowing collectables seem a bit out of place. The rest of the screenshots give off a fluid platforming, Another World/Abe's Oddyssey sort of vibe, whereas glowing orbs make me think more of arcade-style platformers. Maybe it's just because I have an aversion to multitudinous collectables in general  Tongue

Keep up the good work, I'm excited!

adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »

Hmm the grass thing is interesting and something I'll look into.  And I sorta do agree about collectibles (the glowing orbs), but I haven't really come up with a better solution yet.  Thanks!

@Adam_Creations
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 11:00:04 PM »

I think the grass would be ok if there were hints of sharpness in there, sorta transparent against it, maybe some defined shadowy strokes.

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »

Interesting vision, man.

My biggest crit is that right now the game's colors look kind of bland, and not in a good "somber mood" way. I'd highly suggest giving your shading color. If you look outside on a sunny day, you'll notice that sunny day light is tinted orange and shadows are always blue and never black.

This is especially noticeable in the winter on snow since snow is white and shows essentially pure light color, as my late afternoon example here demonstrates:

Here's a good lighting tutorial: http://www.itchy-animation.co.uk/tutorials/light01.htm

Following the tips mentioned there will make your game instantly look better. I know that to be true because in your first screen shot the distant trees have a slightly blue atmospheric haze and look much more pleasing with bluer shading.

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »

A bit better lighting (not done), added a face, and replaced the grass (it animates MUCH better now, but no one has anything to compare to)

Full size: http://www.adamprack.com/elf/grass.jpg

@Adam_Creations
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »

Very cool!  The grass is much better.  So does it sway with the wind?  That always looks nice.   Ninja Hand Thumbs Up Right

adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 08:55:19 PM »

Yeah, it all sways pretty independently (and looks great, I think)

Here's a clip of it in motion:

(a little choppy, but it runs fine without video capture)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:48:18 PM by adamprack » Logged

@Adam_Creations
flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »

The depth of field effect is eye candy. Hand Thumbs Up LeftWink

adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »

I just wanted to post an update.  Game's going fine, life takes time away from work, of course.  I'm pretty far along with the first world and am into the second world (of four).  Here's a shot from an underground/lava place in the first world.  Be sure to check out the link in my previous post showing my animated grass and such!

@Adam_Creations
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 11:22:05 AM »

That grass does look good. I also liked the light filtering through the trees.

@godatplay - That tutorial you linked to is very cool. Thanks

adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:46 AM »

So I got through testing this on my old laptop to see performance on lesser machines.  Running it in low-res (480p), it's playable but not silky by any means.

So for:
Intel T2400 (1.83 GHz)
2 GB of RAM
Mobile Intel 945 Express (integrated crappy video card)

It runs decently at 480.

And for:
Intel Penitum D (3.2 GHz)
4 GB RAM
Geforce 7900 GS

It runs close to constant 60 fps at 720.

I don't have a stellar rig by any means and it's about 5 years old.  Even with that, I'm glad performance is about where it needs to be for a pretty graphics-heavy 2D game.  On test I've run on computers with any sort of a better GPU, the whole game runs flawlessly.  I'm toying with getting lower-res textures working (via a menu switch), but I'm going to keep building the game with the current detail level as the focus.

On another note, I got a facebook page started for anyone that would like to visit it there.  Particularly if anyone wants to let any others see it!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »

So I cut a trailer showing some of the current locales.  It is sans enemies, proper ui, etc but is a simple demonstration of some aspects of the levels.  It is using music of my own as well as graphics entirely my own.  Check it out!

Youtube link - Trailer 1 - Level Demonstration

It has has been added to the first post.  I'll be uploading an HD version in the near future, too.

@Adam_Creations
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 02:43:27 PM »

I have a fear that anyone playing the game for the first time will not realize the lava waterfall is in the background and will get stuck trying to find a way around it.
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 09:59:21 PM »

@mooosh:  Thanks a ton!  I hope perhaps some other people might take a look and comments as well!

@Sir Raptor:  I haven't had any problems with that with anyone I've tested it with yet.  The parallax motion makes it stand out a lot, but I will be going back and doing some work on differentiating foreground vs environment (ie, turning up fogs and such).  Thanks!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »

Character mechanics - 4/26 Update

So I've gone through a lot of different ideas for what the player would be able to do.  One idea in particular seemed like a great idea and would lead to some neat level stuff and enemy uses.  And then in-game it wasn't much fun.  I did not want to just give the player double-jumping or something.  That seems done very often and, to me, I wanted the single jump to be the big focus for the platforming.  I also like having objects visible, but not immediately reachable.  A double jump would allow the player to traverse the majority of the screen with the current physics I'm using, so that would ruin stuff to me.  I wanted there to be a fun aspect of the jumping, perhaps a bit of forgiveness, and I didn't want to give the character fireball equivalents.  Weapons wouldn't have been the right way to go to me (partially because I want the game a little more peaceful, partially to cut back on my own animating time).  So at the start of the game, a water nymph (Maila) helps you out and gives you a pendant from her kingdom which allows you wield a bit of magic

-The player can semi-float.
-The player can cast a 'shield' barrier in front with light offensive abilities (close-range).

While in the air, you cast the magic ability below you to keep you in the air, but on-ground you cast it in front to repel projectiles, block stuff from hitting you, and destroy lower-class enemies.  It's all pretty and blueish and floats all around everywhere, so I'll have a video of it up some time.

Naming - 4/26 Update

So I currently plan on not naming the main character.  I'm not really pulling anything rpg-styled with a name input.  I'm just simply writing the dialogue to omit sentences that would use his name.  I think that without a name to call the character--including fallback default names, players will end up saying "I did this" and "it happened to me."  And they'll believe it more, probably.  Putting in names in RPGs always seems artificial because everbody knows that's Link, that's Tifa, that's whoever.  And then seeing my own name in dialogue seems sorta funky, too.  But no name at all and no reference to one would make, to me at least, someone substitute themselves subconsciously.

Or I'm crazy.  I'm okay with either, but I believe the former at the moment.

Pretty Picture - Of an area you've seen

@Adam_Creations
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic