Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:17:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlight - On to the desert!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Blight - On to the desert!  (Read 12731 times)
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 06:06:00 PM »

Pretty dynamic looking platformer, great graphics style, aswell. You emphasized the rectalinear elements in cool ways.

adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:43 PM »

Thanks!  I hope some more people give it a look.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:58:40 PM by adamprack » Logged

<--Check out my demo reel!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:33 AM »

Enemies, Desert - Just a quick 5/15 update

So I have one enemy fully working (so check one off of my list), and I have some good progress in the desert world. I hope to post a shot or two next week, but in the meantime, here's a single frame from one of the enemies:

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 06:29:03 PM »

I'm glad to say I had a first go around of previewing a demo. There was a talent show at my church, so I set up my game running on a computer in the corner with a PS3 controller hooked up to it. It captivated every 5-15 year old boy in the room and most of the older males. There were a couple of freezes in the few hours it was being pummeled, but it was an otherwise successful run. So I'll fix up a couple of things and push that demo out for people to try.

Enemies are in, the floating ability is working, and I'll be getting the forward shield/upwards thrust thing done this week. Hopefully. I'm quite happy with how it's going and am going to try to get a kickstarter campaign going so I can work on this full-time. I still would love to get this out by the end of the year.

@Adam_Creations
ambinate
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56:11 PM »

yikes.  this looks gorgeous!

Daniel Seabra
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »

I gotta be honest - for the first few seconds I was skeptical of the artwork.

Then I fell in love with it. Especially the moving grass, that is gorgeous!

Any hopes of a playable demo any time soon?   Hand Shake Left SmileyHand Shake Right

I'm just some bloke. Going to go to Pasadena, CA, for four years so if you're over there gimme a shout-out. Will be cool to get to know some people.
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »

I gotta be honest - for the first few seconds I was skeptical of the artwork.

Then I fell in love with it. Especially the moving grass, that is gorgeous!

Any hopes of a playable demo any time soon?   Hand Shake Left SmileyHand Shake Right

Thanks!  I admit to not being the best artist around--it's not really my forte--but I try.  And I have a few fun tricks and far too long of perseverance trying to be better.  What, might I ask, led you to your initial skepticism?  I'm glad you came around, but I'm interested in what I can do to help the first impression.

And I think that is certainly possible.  I had a 3-level playable demo at a local thing just to see how it worked with kids screwing around with it.  I want to get a kickstarter going for it, too, so I can quit my job to work on it.  So a playable demo is definitely in the cards.  Heck if I know quite when, though.  Thanks!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2011, 10:18:12 AM »

Help Kickstart this project!

Blight is moving along nicely!  I definitely think it can be successful, and I'd love to see if anyone would like to help that cause.  I've got a Kickstarter campaign going to try to get enough funds to do this full time.  I plan on completing the game by the end of the year.  Here are a few more shots to interest you, and be sure to check out the new Official Site.

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:12:40 PM »

My project is over 15% funded thus far, so thank you for anyone who gave it a look!  I've implemented all of the abilities, overhauled the player animations (some tweaking to do, as always), added a new enemy type, better optimized things, and I have a 3-level demo available.  Check it out here: Sorry, the demo period has expired.

• Supports Keyboard and Xbox 360 controller currently.
  • This is a 3-level demo (each level has two longer segments). These are the first 3 levels of the game, excluding brief tutorial stage and story elements.
  • The floating enemies will be mobile (vertically) and will have fire particles, but for now they just exist.  They are also unaffected by the forward shield yet, but otherwise functioning.
  • You can hold down the right trigger on a 360 pad to spam the forward shield--that'll get fixed in future builds.
  • You might run into a camera glitch on loads occasionally that just leaves the screen one color.  Sorry, just restart it.
  • This demo is windowed so sites and blogs would have an easier time with screenshotting, but the final version will be fullscreen.
  • This demo is locked at 1280x720.  There is a lower resolution version working, but it has a higher volume of bugs so the option isn't included.  You'll need a moderate PC to run the game, but it does quite well on my 7900GS, Pentium D machine.
  • The sign text will be better.
  • The falling/jumping animations are not complete.

Let me know what you think, what you like, what you don't like.

Sorry, the demo period has expired.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 11:25:01 PM by adamprack » Logged

@Adam_Creations
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »

Oh my

This really looks fantastic. I'm downloading the demo and will have some thoughts on it once I get through it, but you've already hooked me on the looks so far.

The main character has a resemblance to the protag from BRAID, though it seems you haven't settled on the look, so that's good. Otherwise the lighting, the depth of field, and the effects look top-notch.

Excellent work! Mind if I feature this on my blog?
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:33:14 PM »

Oh my

This really looks fantastic. I'm downloading the demo and will have some thoughts on it once I get through it, but you've already hooked me on the looks so far.

The main character has a resemblance to the protag from BRAID, though it seems you haven't settled on the look, so that's good. Otherwise the lighting, the depth of field, and the effects look top-notch.

Excellent work! Mind if I feature this on my blog?

Please do!  And be sure to link me to it so I can help share your blog around, too.  If you do, hold off on posting the demo up quite yet.  Thanks!

And I guess I should post the controls!
Keyboard: 
A/D  or Left/Right for movement
W or Up for jump
Down for special
Enter for menu selections and pause

(mirrors a controller a bit)

Xbox 360 pad:
D-pad for movement
A for jump (should also be menu selections)
Right Shoulder for special
D-pad

@Adam_Creations
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »

Sure! No problem. I'll send you a PM once the article goes up. Anything I'm okay to show for the preview? Screens? A short interview perhaps?

I hope you're not thinking it's like HUUUGE coverage, but I think I have like 20+ daily readers and 200 unique hits per day. Some of those may be crawlerbots, though.

Anyway, playing it now!
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2011, 11:54:36 PM »

Sure! No problem. I'll send you a PM once the article goes up. Anything I'm okay to show for the preview? Screens? A short interview perhaps?

I hope you're not thinking it's like HUUUGE coverage, but I think I have like 20+ daily readers and 200 unique hits per day. Some of those may be crawlerbots, though.

Anyway, playing it now!

No, no, I just don't want the demo spread much past a couple forums until things get more solidified.  You're fine to show anything you'd like.  Screens are fine, video's fine, questions are fine.

@Adam_Creations
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 11:19:59 AM »

It's visuall compelling so far. Amazing how deep the levels look from the foreground to the background. There's a lot of attention to detail.

I have issues with some of the mechanics, but I think I need to spend a bit more time with it before I say anything more.

Either way, good work!
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »

Hey, I played the demo through a few times and have some thoughts about it. I was hoping also to bump this thread because I love the visual style of this game and I really hope you can get it made. I'll send you a PM with some of the more specific thoughts.

Keep up the good work Prack! Smiley
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »

@sonicblastoise: Thank you very much!  My internet will be unreliable at best for at least the rest of this week (I just moved).  Thank you for giving things a look, I hope to hear what you've got in mind in your pm.

Will do!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »

Aug 07

I made a hud/gui finally! No numbers at all. In fact, no more lives. For a time, I've had a 3-heart meter like Mario 2 (vertical, I mean). And I finally convinced myself that lives and game over screens are worthless these days. So dying still puts you back to the start of the level segment you're on (again, two segments/layouts per level). I didn't want to take you back to the most recent failed jump or anything--I think that's counter to the point of platformers.

But with no lives, the orbs are worthless, right? No, there just won't be health pickups anymore. The orbs translate into health. You have 3 hits before you die. Every 25 orbs you collect, you recover a hitpoint. If you have full health and you get 25 orbs, you get a short bit of invulnerability.

There's the new hud! The level is still in-progress (i'll be shrinking the cage, adding details around like a cot, etc.), but the circles are the new design. The outer circle stays like that, but it glows when you get the invulnerable state. The 2nd circle in starts dim and glows more are you collect orbs. When you get your 25, it returns to dark and changes the 3rd circle in (the smallest one). This is your health meter. It's green for full health, yellow down from that, red, then black and translucent when you die. You start with full health but no orbs when you start the level or die.

@Adam_Creations
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »

Hud looks great. It's a much more integrated look than before.

Still figuring out what I think exactly about the game.

I did feature it as a WIP and up-and-coming on my blog though. With the kickstarter link.

http://mediocritycodex.blogspot.com/2011/08/indie-cred-kitty-who-became-axe.html

Hope everything is going well. Keep up the good work!
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 08:49:43 PM »

Thank, sonic!  I appreciate it.  I've made some changes and added more stuff.  Here's a new trailer showing some of it off:

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »

I had a little time off to do some other things, but I'm back into it all full-swing.  I wanted to share a couple shots from the desert area and mention my devlog on my site.

Check 'em out!

Desert

And More desert!

I will be adding sand flying through the air behind the main layer to help differentiate things to the player.

@Adam_Creations
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic