Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:37:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlight - On to the desert!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Blight - On to the desert!  (Read 12734 times)
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »

I'm horrid at updating my thread and did, indeed, take some time off.  But everything is still underway and going fine.  Here are some shots from the latest build:

<--Check out my demo reel!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

Story-Telling

So there's a particular tale that is meant to tie the Blight experience together. The game starts off in a pristine environmental setting. Each locale you visit will be increasingly covered with mechanical parts, pollution, and general corruption. Something along the lines of how Donkey Kong Country did it, but I'm shooting for more poignancy and some other small sub-themes. There will be a brief intro cinematic and a brief cinematic at the end of the game. Otherwise, I want things to be unobtrusive, but still delivering on the theme. This will be done partly through the environments as you see them progress, and then the level titles will reflect an overarching, poetic story. Each level title is a short line in an overall poem, but each line also corresponds with the theme of the level it represents as well. A tough writing task, to be sure, but I think it'll make a big difference.

The level titles for the first world are as follows:
At the Outset
The Future was Steeped
With Sprawling Vistas
And Heights Unknown
But Below the Surface
Lurked a Danger
Sealed Deep Within

And no, they're not going to rhyme.

The text gets more corrupted as the game progresses to match the environments.

Here's a first look at the level selection for Blight. It's still early and more will be added to it, but it shows a great way to get into levels.

As you can see, while level 1 is selected, you can see a blurry forest in the background. When that level is selected, it seamlessly fades into the corresponding level. Also, while switching between which level is selected, the background crossfades between each. Lastly, the music continues from the selection on into the level and continues when you head back to level selection until you begin a level with a different theme. So no real gaps in the music, but a cohesive experience.

And yes, this is the first world--there are more levels than just seven.

I'll save the rest of the titles for when you play the game!

On a side note, if you've made it through the wall of text, I'm planning on a mid-july to early august alpha release on Desura, so keep it in mind!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

Here's a shot from the [fully skippable] intro.  I hope you enjoy, and keep the early-august alpha release in mind!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:15 AM »

Blight is coming to Desura this August!  An alpha release (the first world) will go up then, and any purchasers during the alpha period get the rest of the game free.  It's available for preorder now, and the alpha release opens August 3rd.  Check it out on Desura!

@Adam_Creations
sonicblastoise
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »

congrats on getting it on desura! I'll track it on there.

Best of luck to you, sir!
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »

Thanks sonic!

To go along with the August 3rd alpha release, here's a brand-new trailer showing Blight in its current state!  Check it out!

Alpha Release Trailer!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »

Blight is released!  It is available for purchase right now from Desura for a discounted price--and you'll get the rest of the game free for being an early supporter!

@Adam_Creations
adamprack
Level 0

Composer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »

Here's a new shot from the sand world--a sand storm.  This particular level will have a bigger focus on trickier platforming (whereas the level prior is more about enemy evasion/blocking).  The sand storm effect looks particularly nice in motion, as do the barely-visible mountains in the background.

@Adam_Creations
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic