Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:52:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSleuth RL
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sleuth RL  (Read 944 times)
frekir
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:42:27 PM »

Currently I'm working on something something of a remake of an old game called Sleuth from 1983 (Wikipedia) and it's going great. Smiley But now I have progressed to the point that I need some input.

Firstly, some screenies.

Description (If you read the wikipedia article, you can just skip this part)
It's sort of like Cluedo (or Clue, if you so wish) in that your mission is to find a murderer, a room and a weapon. You only have an hour to do so, for a reason I haven't come up with yet. You do this by talking to people to find out whos story doesn't match the others. You then search through rooms to find the weapon and which room the murder took place in.

Controls (Which translate bad in text)
Walk around with the arrowkeys. Bump in to people and a little menu appears to the right appears. Press Q to question them for an alibi, E to examine them (currently gives nothing important), and if you think they are innocent you can press I and their name will be greyed so you can tell them appart from the suspects. The murderroom will have blood on some of the furniture and you detect this by bumping everything in rooms until you find it, same with the murderweapon. When you have found the killer, the weapon and the room. Walk into the room and press G. This will summon everyone and lock the door. Bump the person you think did it and press A to accuse him/her. Press ESCAPE to bring up a menu where you can look at the instructionsscreen if you need it.

Future
I'd really love to advance the original game concept with randomized houses (tried it, but it's really hard to generate interior that doesn't look like crap)
It's also very easy. I beat it 99% of the time and my girlfriend beat it on her first (and only) try with me not giving tips (beyond what's already in the Instructions-screen in the game). I'd like it to be as difficult as the original which I have never beat. Ok, maybe not that difficult.

Need
I'd love any and all critique, ideas, random ramblings and such. I also need reasons for people being in the house, like parties and such. Currently I have birthdayparty, slumberparty, fancy dinner, weddingparty, quadroupledate, homeparty (is it called that in english? You know when a salesperson tries to sell jars and makeup) but I need more. Nothing is stupid as you will see in the game when people give their alibies.
Oh, and if you find language errors please tell me, I find them all the time. I try to look up words in google translate but I overlook much.

For some reason it doesn't work very well on Chrome, at least on mac, but works fine in Safari. The problem whith Chrome seems to be that it's unwilling to update the screen, almost like lag in an 1 FPS game somehow. Could also be a problem with my Hackintosh so please report problems.

The game is built in Processing, and exported as javaapplet. So if you hate java this is not for you. I've tried to use Processing.js but there is something wrong with my code that gives the error "Unexpected )" (ie unexprected parenthesis).

Now, my art is terrible, but functional. I've seen some people here do magic with just a few pixels and it's a little embarrassing to show my art, but oh well. Embarrassed
Game is here

TL:DR:
Click link. Give opinion.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic