Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:51:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOne-Dimensional RPG (Work in Progress) (Looking for Help)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: One-Dimensional RPG (Work in Progress) (Looking for Help)  (Read 15255 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:50 PM »

So I'm working on a new game. Its a one-dimensional rpg, that was inspired by this thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1504.0

The idea of a one dimensional mmo is pretty far fetched and completely beyond my ability, but I thought it might be fun to tinker with the idea of a one dimensional rpg.

The game is in its very earliest stages of inception, I started working on it about four hours ago, and as of now I have a barely functioning prototype that really just looks pretty more than anything. Here's a screenshot:

The way that I was envisioning the game was that it would be a turn based rpg. First the player chooses their move:
Block - which prevents all damage
Attack - which does a minimal amount of damage
Charge - which increases the damage you can do (and maybe the damage you can take) but leaves you vulnerable to attack.

Once the player makes their move the computer makes its move and then damage is calculated. All the squares would have a certain amount of HP, and the player has to destroy all of the oncoming squares and move forward (to the right) through the game.

That's my vision, but the game can do none of that at this point, and I'm a bit stuck. So i have to take some time to do some brainstorming and planning, and I figured that people here could help (and if you get excited and involved you are more than welcome to help with any other aspects of the game's development along the way).

What I'm having trouble with is figuring out how the combat system will work. I'm not really sure what should happen after the player chooses their move. Here's my list of questions that need answering:
How does the computer react?
Does the computer just randomly select a move?
Does it take the player's move and react to it (countering it, or purposely making bad moves so the player will win)?
Does it make a move based on the players previous moves? And if so, what does it do on the first turn?

How is the damage and attacking shown?
Does it happen instantly after the player makes their move?
Should the computer make a show of pretending to think and choose its move?
I was thinking that maybe next to the player's choices of moves, I would have the same moves written out in the color of the enemy square so that the players could see the computer 'think'. Is that a good idea? Or just a waste of space?

I am eager to make this game but I need people to bounce around ideas with. I hope someone will take interest and help me answer some of these questions, and the hundreds more that will follow if this project gets rolling. Perhaps those interested in that one-dimensional mmo will take interest and help me bring it to life.

Any takers?
increpare
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:40:11 AM »

can people jump over one another?  that might make things a little less...linear.   

Also, you should totally implement a line-of-slight algorithm  :D
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »

can people jump over one another?  that might make things a little less...linear.   

Kind of defeats the purpose of it being one dimeinsonal then though doesn't it?
increpare
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:52:12 AM »

Kind of defeats the purpose of it being one dimeinsonal then though doesn't it?
Does it?  That would depend on your purpose, I guess.  It doesn't seem to to me.  That one can only ever move in two directions makes it a 1D game in my book.  I don't see how being able to hop over people, and have them hop over you (thus get into 'you've been surrounded' sort of situations) harms the conecpt too much.

Also: don't really know enough about these things to help with the combat questions.
Corpus
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:23:06 AM »

Top hop over you, they must move up - hence "over".
Up is not an option.
increpare
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 06:17:47 AM »

Top hop over you, they must move up - hence "over".
Up is not an option.
I was only speaking figuratively, geeeeeze  Wink  Hmm...maybe a more one-dimensional analogy is in order: 1-dimensional solitons can pass through eachother without messing eachother up (movie).  You have one entity pass *through* another.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 06:54:19 AM by increpare » Logged
Corpus
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:45:24 AM »

Tsk, increpare. Tsk! If they can pass through each other, there is no need for war.
increpare
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 06:54:49 AM »

Tsk, increpare. Tsk! If they can pass through each other, there is no need for war.
Is there ever?
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 07:38:26 AM »

I don't see any reason not to add nice old school graphics.

It's not like it's really 1D anyway. Undecided
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 08:58:19 AM »

Interesting idea.  It's kind of a metaphor for most RPG stories.  The hero is on an inexorable path towards his destiny.  Is that an oxy moron?

Jumping would defeat the premise, but you could think of movement in terms of a board game.  In monopoly, 2 people can occupy the same space. Further, if we're on the same space and I roll a 2, then you roll a 6, you will have moved past me despite never deviating from the 1-D course.  So you could have 'jumping', but it would really just be 'moving past'.

You should add graphics that look like little hero-clix or warhammer figures.

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
Corpus
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 09:34:55 AM »

Is there ever?

Yes.

The hero is on an inexorable path towards his destiny.  Is that an oxy moron?

No.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how this turns out.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 09:45:04 AM »

Well thanks for all the interest, but I still haven't figured out the combat system.

The game is definitely a metaphor for linear rpgs, but if I do wind up making a cool combat system I can just switch the graphics to something more fun.

I'm not really interested in making the squares jump over eachother or go through each other, it would add a whole new level of complexity to the game, and I want the game to be super simple.

I'm not actually gonna be able to work on the game for a few days (I've got an essay due friday and a big test tomorrow that I haven't yet started studying for) but I want to try and bring back the conversation to the combat system, so that when I do get back to work (this weekend) I'll have a clear plan.

If you're going to be at all helpful, please just help me figure this out.
Should the computer make its move nanoseconds after the player makes their move, or should it make a show of thinking and being user-friendly?
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »

Games we're you have to wait for the computer to think about its moves always pissed me off. I'd go with having them move straight away.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:20 PM »

I'm still struggling a bit about what the Projects forum should be for, but this one seems more suited for Art and Design at the moment!  (i.e. still in planning stage, bouncing ideas around)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:15:04 PM by Derek » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 08:19:59 PM »

Hey, you could make a full and rich 3d world with detailed landscape and such, but no matter which directional key you pressed, you would always move forward, nd no matter which command you chose, you would always perform a predefined task. Super linearity to the rescue.

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »

This is a pretty funny idea for an RPG. Most people say Doom was a 3D game but remember that the map was all 2D. The same way you could say that a game like IK+ is all 1D but with 2D graphics since you can only move left and right and do different fighting moves. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 11:22:54 PM by robotacon » Logged
Baltirow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 01:25:26 AM »

If you're going to be at all helpful, please just help me figure this out.
Should the computer make its move nanoseconds after the player makes their move, or should it make a show of thinking and being user-friendly?
Make it instant, but 'animate' the move by letting it blink (or somesuch) to show it is indeed attacking.

With respect to the visualisation, the question you must answer for yourself is whether you want the gameplay to be 1D of the entire game (i.e. everything in dots). You can still keep a simple representation by using geometric shapes of various colors and sizes...

Kekskiller
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:38 AM »

Blinking is the only way to animate those 1d characters flexible. I'm working on a 1D  game, too. It's an action adventure and uses color changes very intensively. Don't make the color differences too low - the player probably have to decide between many object states.

Make your map bg color more pastel and low-contrast, this ensures the player is focused on game objects.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »

My heart flutters.
I would see this being more fun as an action game.. maybe you could lob things over squares, affecting spots in the distance.. enemies could do the same (archer,grenade,moonbomb,hornettoss,REDFLYINGPIXEL)..
affect future squares, power up a square four away so that you get faster charge whenever you stand on it, then use that square to improve your charge for a bit..
level up mechanic? have you played Hold off Reds by YMM? (inventor of Flail).
You upgrade health/energy (powers attacks)/damage power, with more points awarded the faster you kill enemies.. pretty cool imo.
oh 'red flying pixel' would be.. a projectile that shoots in the middle of the squares "over" them, flying at you.. better duck..

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »

Truly 1D gameplay can't have objects going over one-another, as that would imply a second axis that they can move in. Truly 1D means that you cannot go over anything on the line, either push/pull it or somehow make it disappear/teleport so you can go through.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:09:35 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic