Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:45:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOne-Dimensional RPG (Work in Progress) (Looking for Help)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: One-Dimensional RPG (Work in Progress) (Looking for Help)  (Read 15256 times)
increpare
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:00 AM »

Truly 1D gameplay can't have objects going over one-another, as that would imply a second axis that they can move in.
Erm, not necessarily.  See my solitons example above.

Truly 1D means that you cannot go over anything on the line, either push/pull it or somehow make it disappear/teleport so you can go through.
So you're saying a 3D game with teleports, say Quake/Unreal/&c, isn't actually 3D at all?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »

But, being a 1D game with jumping over entities wouldn't really be breaking the 1D aspect, just like giving Dwarf Fortress a z-axis doesn't make it a 3d game. It's representative. The entity isn't actually jumping over the object in a new dimension, it's just a cheap explanation for being able to pass through it. Like in those games when you press up to enter a door or something, you're not actually going along a z axis into another room, it's just a convenient explanation for teleporting to another place.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2008, 09:08:29 PM »

But, being a 1D game with jumping over entities wouldn't really be breaking the 1D aspect, just like giving Dwarf Fortress a z-axis doesn't make it a 3d game. It's representative. The entity isn't actually jumping over the object in a new dimension, it's just a cheap explanation for being able to pass through it. Like in those games when you press up to enter a door or something, you're not actually going along a z axis into another room, it's just a convenient explanation for teleporting to another place.

Though, since the z-axis of DF DOES affect gameplay in a 3D manner (dwarfs can go up and down levels of the fortress, for example) DF can now be considered a 3D game with 2D representation. And so a game with instances on a line that can move over eachother would be a crude 2D game with 1D representation, just with very limited movement on the second axis, but it's still there.

As for teleportation, I like to imagine that instantly teleporting from one point to another without having moved in a line through the space would imply an extra dimension the object is moving in. Picture, for example, the line world of the 1D game. Say an entity teleports instantly from one point to another. One could say that the entity first leaves the line, then moves in another dimension, then returns to the line in another spot. For the other entities of the line the instance teleported instantly since there was no movement through their limited space and they can't be aware of this other dimension.

In this case I must correct my previous statement by removing the teleportation bit.

Of course, I'm taking about a very strict way of seeing this. Tongue You guys feel free to ignore me.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 09:10:04 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2008, 09:38:56 PM »

You're just being mean now. Huh?

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:36 PM »

Any action that modifies an object location could theoretically be considered as adding a dimension. Or not. If you want.
What I mean is all this talk is senseless.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2008, 10:23:56 PM »

You're just being mean now. Huh?

Just explaining my point, but I'll stop.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2008, 03:02:15 AM »

As for teleportation, I like to imagine that instantly teleporting from one point to another without having moved in a line through the space would imply an extra dimension the object is moving in. Picture, for example, the line world of the 1D game. Say an entity teleports instantly from one point to another. One could say that the entity first leaves the line, then moves in another dimension, then returns to the line in another spot.
But if they teleport instantly, then what, exactly are they moving through? Because clearly they haven't 'been' anywhere other than the start point and the end point.

How about, switching into sci-fi mode, you thinking of it as a geometrical deformation, when you hit the 'teleport' button, the line bends into a loop with the start and end/points of the teleport meeting for an instance.  The player in this is transferred from one to another, and then the loop breaks apart again.  (this is more in-keeping with portal-engine style teleportation).

DF seems pretty 3D to me.  That said, people are still likely to mostly play it like it's 2D with different levels, though some have used more vertical-thinking in the construction of pits &c..
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:08:16 AM by increpare » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic