Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 01:24:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMaps Sharing Site
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Maps Sharing Site  (Read 1095 times)
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« on: February 07, 2011, 01:44:13 PM »

Hey guys, I'm struggling to figure out which thread this kind of post belongs in, but Business seemed fairly appropriate:

I recently built a map sharing site for our game, Delve Deeper.  It's not perfect, but I'll be working the kinks out as the week progresses.

The cool part, I think, is that I plan on open-sourcing the whole project on Friday, which will allow other indie game developers to host user created maps on their own websites.  I'm guessing this would be mostly helpful for strategy games, but who knows, maybe someone else will find a use for it.  Setup is minimal, all you need to know is how to create a database and hook it into the code.

Feel free to upload a map if you have our game, and I'll have a GitHub link for everyone to download the source on Friday.  Feel free to leave your feedback.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:55 AM »

What will that site look like when 1,000 maps have been uploaded?  10,000?

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Jay Margalus
Level 0

designer and developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »

Once indie game companies start having that happy problem, it'll be addressed.  Right now I'm concentrating on the first 100 maps, and working on other aspects of QC with the site.

Former co-owner of Lunar Giant Studios (game company), former gamedev faculty at DePaul University. Now: Teaching entrepreneurship and design at Washington & Lee. On Twitter @jaymargalus.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:25:05 AM »

Okie doke.  Just sayin'.  :I

The internet redirects massive, sudden bursts of attention to small things.  So systems like this can get unmanageable fast if they're not made to scale a little.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic