Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Despot - fast paced pikmin-like grudge match [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Despot - fast paced pikmin-like grudge match [FINISHED]  (Read 11540 times)
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:36:39 AM »

This game was originally made for the TIGS versus compo but I wasn't able to finish it in time for personal reasons. Sometimes life throws you curve balls. I've since kept working on it and it is now my first finished game.  Smiley

-DESPOT-

In short:
Use your younglings to destroy the rival adult despot. No child labor laws here!

Expanded:
You are a Despot. A territorial creature on a planet that orbits Syrius B. The only thing it hates more than being called cute, is a rival Despot. It produces young by eating a crystal, only found on its native planet, called orricalcum. Over many eons, these creatures have lost the use of their upper appendages which appear to us as arms. Their younglings have a juvenille acid gland that can project acid pellets at high velocities. When the young depsots reach maturity, they lose their acid glands and can now produce a strong vaccuum to suck in orricalcum(we will be reffering to these minerals simply as "crystals"). When the adults devour these crystals, they are able to produce cubs at an alarming rate. They can also use their suction ability to consume despot cubs from a distance. There is no known nutritional value in despot younglings. This is purely defensive. The adult despots have an unknown, seemingly mental, link with their young. Both the adult's and cub's existence depends on this psychic union. The Adults use it to control, discipline, guide and teach their cubs. It is not entirely selfless. They also use their offspring to protect themselves from rival despot adults.

Each player starts off on the opposite side of the map with time to create some younglings. You rush forward(use your charge command to catch your enemies offguard!), collect crystals to make more cubs, and take out the opposing force!

-Requires a PC and a friend to play with.
-P1 & P2 Keyboard controls(see ReadMe file)
-Programming,art,music, and sfx by me

Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/?z61skd8v9xajb9d

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 12:12:41 AM by Seasons » Logged

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

It looks great, bad thing is I don't have any gamepad...
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »

Thanks man. I didn't plan on having 2 players on a keyboard because I felt that it got a little cramped. I have enough time before the deadline though, so I'll work it out.  Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »

Oooh, nice style, and nice idea. I really need me some gamepads...
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:31 AM »

That looks lovely - I like the space plants/towers, although they don't seem to match the perspective of the blocks.

I also want to tell the despots that they're cute, but then they'll hate me!
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 06:24:27 AM »

That looks lovely - I like the space plants/towers, although they don't seem to match the perspective of the blocks.

I also want to tell the despots that they're cute, but then they'll hate me!

Yes, do so at your own risk haha Wink. I wonder if it would help if I had different sizes of the space plants? I'll mess around with em'. You can't tell from the picture, but they have a nice sway.
Oooh, nice style, and nice idea. I really need me some gamepads...

Keyboard controls for both players are a go go! Although I'm having weird fps issues since I've implemented them... I'll iron it out soon.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »

looks sweet  Beer!

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »

Important space cactus update.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 06:42:39 AM »

This looks delightful! I like the new space cactus.

|
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:14:30 AM »

Thanks for all the encouragement! It's playable right now, but I'm trying to make it as pick-up-n-play as possible so I'm going to have a testing session this weekend with a few buds. I'll have a demo out early next week. Wish us luck  Smiley

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »

Space Cacti are obviously the most important and revolutionary aspect of this game.
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 08:01:01 PM »

Whatever the creatures are supposed to be, they're A-d'awwww'rable :D

The new space cacti look much better, too!

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Conker534
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:43:02 PM »

love you
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 04:00:04 PM »

I've been playing around with what kind of music this game should have and I made this loop last night. I don't know if it will ultimately fit the game, but I really like the feel of this simple beat.

http://seasonsart.tumblr.com/post/3313837838/heres-one-of-the-themes-for-a-game-im-developing

I need to upload all of my music so everyone can check it out. My stuff ranges from acoustic, to new wave, to animal collectivish instrumentals. I've been recording stuff at home for awhile. I ventured out to develop games this past October. It's rad getting to combine all these different elements(graphic design/music/game dev).

Should have a demo up this week. Having wacky control issues in game maker.

Have a good day guys!  Smiley

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:45 PM »

Love the arpeggios. Reminds me of Copy in the best way.

|
Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:45:34 PM »

Idea is great and love the style, can't wait to try it.
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »

I liked this game until the triple jimmy-hat cactus what was replaced with a stack of top hats.

Now I love it  Gentleman

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 06:14:30 AM »

I liked this game until the triple jimmy-hat cactus what was replaced with a stack of top hats.

Now I love it  Gentleman

I had the same thought after I finished drawing the first generation cacti but decided to go for it anyway, hoping innocence would prevail haha.

Demo getting served up fresh today!

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 12:07:45 AM »

It is finished. Read original post or click on the despot link in my sig. I really wanted to finish this in time for the compo but something came up... Enjoy guys.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic