Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:35:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Type Runner - Finished
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Type Runner - Finished  (Read 5630 times)
Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »

Hi all, this is my first TIG Source comp so hope it goes well.  

My game is titled Type Runner and is probably best described as a cross between Cannabalt and The Typing of the Dead. Each player races to the end of the course but at certain points are stopped and must push the relevant key on the keyboard to continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished  Grin

Type runner is a two player racing game in which players must  correctly answer a question or press the correct key on the keyboard to move their character down the track.

At each jump point the players will be given a certain amount of time to respond to the on screen request and failure to respond will result in a time penalty. The game is for two players simultaneously using the same keyboard and first one to the flag wins.

Download from GameJolt: http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/arcade/type-runner/4642/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 09:35:01 AM by Built by Man » Logged
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »

I just tested it by myself but I thought it was pretty fun concept haha. Here is an idea that came to mind if you're looking to expand the mechanic:

-different paths depending on how long it takes you to press the key? For example if there is a chain above and a platform below, you have to determine which is the safer route and the 3 time increments could have directions? [^]-1st increment up [>]- 2nd increment straight ahead [V]-and 3rd to a lower platform or death?

Keep up the good work man.

Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:12:15 PM »

Thanks for the comment - much appreciated.  Grin

I was hoping to add a few features similar to the ones you mentioned as well as some slightly more complicated key requests ie combinations of keys or possibly holding the key down untill you get to the next jump. I should get some time to work on it tomorrow and am hoping to have a new build by the end of the weekend incorporating most of the features above.

As I have only really tested it with one person if anybody can let me know how it plays with two people it would help immensely
Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »

Game Finished  Smiley

I'm pretty happy with it on the whole but I do think I limited myself a bit with the core mechanic. Once I had implamented it adding anything else just seemed to confuse things so I was forced to keep it quite simple. It's still pretty close to what I had in mind when I started and if nothing else its nice to get my first TigSource comp under my belt.

Hope you enjoy - Dload Link in Main Post and below

http://gamejolt.com/freeware/games/arcade/type-runner/4642/
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »

I don't have anyone to play the game with right now so I've played it by myself and I must say that it would be a great educational game to learn non-visual keyboard typing. I like it. Smiley

Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »

Thanks for the comment  Grin

I have to admit that all the play testing has dramatically improved my own typing skills
especially when trying to play both players at the same time.

Cheers
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

This was really fun, well done!
Some small suggestions:
1. Have some more time before you die and respawn, because it's annoying when you die.
2. It appears that the questions of the type "the third letter of the word ..." took more time to answer than the rest, so distributing those questions evenly between the players would help in making it more fair.
3. Once in a while it happens that we have to press the same key to continue, and so when one player presses the key the other player moves too. If it's not easy to fix, then it's really not a big deal.
4. I finished the level first, but my gf wanted to keep on playing, but then she had to press 'space' to jump between platforms, but that was the key for me to finish the level, so she didn't get to keep on playing (kinda related to #3).
5. More variations for questions, we recognized the questions after 2-3 plays (nice one on the threesome btw  Wink ).

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 09:31:43 AM »

My brother and I had a lot of fun with this one, but we had to quit before we broke my laptop XD

I like the range of questions, and that they're easy to answer, but the sort of thing you have to think about, which makes it hard, since you're timed. The graphics mesh perfectly, a lot of lo-fi games have trouble with this, but yours feels like it could be running on my old C64.

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
Built by Man
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:17:28 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys very much appreciated  Grin Grin Grin

Ended up running out of time a little and more questions and some variations on the timing were definitely next on the to do list  Facepalm. I got distracted with another idea and didn't quite see this through to the level I would have liked so really great to hear someone had fun with it.

Cheers
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic