Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:08:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGates 2 Purgatory Text Adventure Series Book 1 (Playable W.I.P)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gates 2 Purgatory Text Adventure Series Book 1 (Playable W.I.P)  (Read 957 times)
umezono
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2011, 05:41:32 PM »

Gates 2 Purgatory Book 1 WIP

Book 1: Tales of Terror Beach W.I.P. NOW HOSTED ON MEDIAFIRE. (works standalone, compatible with windows only.)
  • Filesize: 2.33 MB

INFO ON THIS BUILD:
Book 1 of "Gate 2 Purgatory"
Tales of Terror Beach
"You stand on the sandy dunes of the infamous Terror Beach, in front of a small abode, as evidenced by the old and splintered sign conveniently jutting out of the sand...."

This first book is basically just me demonstrating rudimentary knowledge of the programming language. It's extremely easy and requires little cognitive thinking with like, 2 easy puzzles. Keep in mind I'm new to IF games!

It's meaty in the text department, but still very short.

Now fully playable, with an ending. Still needs to be worked on for bugs, more paths, and I need to refine the jungle man NPC and give him conversational actions. This is by no means done, it is still a very rough W.I.P. that'll need a lot of work.

Fixed a lot of stuff, including:
  • The glitch in which you had to take the entire blockage from the chimney in order to progress north.
  • Numerous spelling errors.
  • Filled up placeholders with a lot of text.
  • Added NPC and one extra room where he resides in

---

I spent a while messing around with and learning the code for TADS (give it a try, comes with full documentation and an extremely helpful tutorial as well as a wizard with a built in compiler) and now I can create text adventure games. I'm working on a series of them, which all star the manly adventurer (you) traversing mystical worlds. It's intended to mix puzzle, rpg and text adventure elements. There's a lot of humor going on in here too.

The plot is extremely hard to explain but it mainly focuses on this vain, brawny adventurer trying to reach "The Gates" but every time he reaches it he is either sent back to the bar or to an unknown location. I'm trying to name these locations really cliche fantasy names like "The Dark Elven Kingdom" and "Terror Beach" and "Sector X in Mars" for the sake of comedic value.

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
leave feedback. Typographical errors, errors in the code, anything that seems off. If a command yields nothing or messes up (ie. the cottage key glitch) I request you notify me immediately so I can go give the source a check.

Full list of commands that are to my knowledge available in Book 1:
examine
get
take
look in
climb
smell
look at
put x in y
put x on y
give x
show x
touch
Coming soon:
Conversational commands for the jungle man. As soon as I figure out how, I will be removing the hint (telling you to show the jungle man your totem) in the description of Terror Beach Forest and implementing convo commands. You'll be able to ask him lots of stuff, as well as about himself. Protip: asking him about stuff unlocks secret plot elements!

I'm still learning how to use it, I'll be learning to code NPCs as well as my own commands soon. So it goes without saying these will improve over time. And possibly get harder.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:28:40 PM by umezono » Logged
umezono
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »

coolio

>look in cottage
There’s nothing unusual in the Cottage Key.

in the second cottage, the one with the ladder

>examine cottage
This key appears to be a conventional key you would find anywhere. The lock on the cottage in front of you, OF COURSE, has to be one of those pinhole locks that you can open with coat hangars. So this key is for another cottage.

the first cottage, the one you open with the key

This is the cottage key glitch, for further reference. I have no idea how to fix it.  Concerned

EDIT: Actually it might be an issue of mixing up the name and nouns of the cottage key.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic