Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:51:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)"One Hour" Versus Games - get more play out of each than it took to make!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "One Hour" Versus Games - get more play out of each than it took to make!  (Read 3447 times)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:50:13 PM »

So I'm going to make a few local multiplayer flash games, almost entirely from scratch, in an hour each. They may take up to one whole additional hour in tweaks to make things way more fun, but this will come later.

In general, each game will need to be simple (thanks to creation time restraints!) but will also adhere (generally) to 'fewer buttons = better'. I'll put a hard limit of 3 buttons per player maximum (plus possible 'system' buttons like reset), will aim for 2 buttons, and if it won't harm the experience, may go fewer (1 button per player or... 1/2? 0?)

A & S vs. K & L
> either to turn
> both to shoot

RESET: SPACE
RESET ALL: ESC

This game was created in a pub after an interesting game-interested people event. A number of people I knew were there gathered and one proclaimed: let us jam. So we did. And it was good. In two days, I have played this game (with lots of different people!) for far more than the one hour it took to make it (even adding the overall 20-40 minutes I spent making modifications). Goal complete.

Game #2:
Two Hundred Moneys (2-4P)
Q C M P

I started this game with some ideas in mind that reminded me of M.U.L.E. and long story short I'm not going to try to make any even remotely complicated systems in these games. I got kinda far, but not far enough -- and it wasn't turning out very fun anyway.

Game #3:
Blue Knights (2P)

I won't bother giving instructions; they're on the page. It's a one-button (per player) two-player... fighty game. I have yet to play it with another human so I'll just have to trust what you tell me about how horribly unbalanced it is.

The controls don't feel wonderful to me, either.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:02:25 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:11:02 PM »

Unfortunately, the strategy of holding down one button is unbeatable.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:17:43 PM »

Have you tried holding down more buttons than the other person is?

Less may be more, but more is also more.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:05:42 AM »

So by turning in both directions you break the game and divide by/shoot zero(s)?
Genius.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:04 PM »

Time to get serious. Newer tweaked version up. Don't run into tails.

~~~ edit ~~~

Two Hundred Moneys was a failure! Moving on.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:13:07 AM by Droqen » Logged

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »

I like your idea. The "versus" theme makes it particularly easier to get more playtime, or at least more enjoyable games, because you are able to pit two people against one another, and thus some of the gameplay is not inherent in the game but comes from the act of competition. "Mind games" in various versus games (sword positioning in Nidhogg, cancelling in fighting games, bluffing in poker) add a lot of depth without mechanically making the game any more complicated or harder to make, so it's a good idea to include controls that allow players to signal intent on the screen without necessarily committing to an action.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 04:36:18 PM »

Blue Knights is finish.

It didn't turn out fantastically, but it's got an odd control scheme -- so I didn't expect it to turn out awfully well!

Also, there's nobody around to play with. ):
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:03:31 PM by Droqen » Logged

LazyDog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »

These are cool. Make more of them and combine them mario party style.

Download my games at www.gamersdelight.eu
Rooky
Level 0

Prince of London

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:52 AM »

Yeah, a Mario Party-esque game combining a good deal of these would be pretty good fun. but you'd have to put a timer on, say, the Blue Knight one. It could last forever, so you could make it so after, say, 30 seconds, whoever's closest to the edge loses, or something.

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »

Blue Knights is finish.

It didn't turn out fantastically, but it's got an odd control scheme -- so I didn't expect it to turn out awfully well!

Have you tried a more traditional control scheme?  Blue Knights is cool but having to charge everything, including move left and right, is awkward.  Might be more fun if left and right movement where separate keys and attacks\abilities were charge.  Either that or just make it a full on fighting game with special inputs, back to guard, etc.  Are you limiting all the games to two keys (effectively one for Blue Knights) to avoid keyboard input limitations?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:08 PM »

Are you limiting all the games to two keys (effectively one for Blue Knights) to avoid keyboard input limitations?

That's the idea, yeah. They can be a big pain when trying to play with another person ):

edit :: Also, while two hands is doable, I'd like to keep things approachable. Cramped hand positions not so good. Keep in mind I did the first game on a netbook, in a pub.

The idea is also to keep controls simple, but I guess I ended up being dumb and making Blue Knights' controls really complicated anyway. Rest assured, the next one (assuming there is a next one) will have more intuitively simple controls.

edit here too :: Blue Knights could probably do with a better bar that displays each step more visually, which was the original plan which would have taken too long (I went a bit overtime as it was)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:12:13 PM by Droqen » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic