Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 04:20:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Lord: Reclaim Your Destiny (working title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Lord: Reclaim Your Destiny (working title)  (Read 1151 times)
BilbyCoder
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »

Hi, I have just started working on a new game, collaborating with the most excellent artist Ledi who has been posting here for the last few weeks. I though I should de-lurk, having previously made exactly one post, to talk about the project and start up a DevLog, largly to help motivate me in working on this.

The TL:DR version first:
Hack and slash 2D platformer made with 3D models in the Unity engine with randomly generated levels and management elements.  The game, if when finished, will be playable on the web and downloadable.

Wall of text version:
GamePlay
The game is part platformer, part rpg and part management game.  The platforming and rpg elements go together, with combat being stat/gear/ability based.  The game environments will be randomly generated mixed in with hand-crafted features to provide some designed challenges.

The management elements kick in when you clear a region by defeating the region boss.  You can send minions in to mine and harvest resources as well as build up a home base.  There you can have minions craft items and teach you new abilities.

The Playable Character
The playable Character is an entity that exists as a formless intelligence within this underworld realm.  To interact with the world the entity possesses creatures, taking on their abilities and attributes.  At the start of the game you are greatly reduced in power and can only manage to possess a weakened goblin slave.  As the game progresses you are able to possess more powerful creatures to further your agenda.

Technology
The game is being built on the Unity engine and will be available (eventually) for download as well as playable on the web through the unity web player.

Where am I up to:
Really, the 0% is well deserved.  Pretty much all I've done is to start designing the cell structure that will make up the levels.  I've been able to get reasonably coherent sequences of platforms randomly generated together but nothing remotely close to an actual level.  The combat system is starting to form in my mind, but nothing has been worked out yet.

AI has me terrified. Screamy
GUI has me sifting through pages of conflicting opinions on the best way to implement it.

When I have something resembling a level being generated I will probably post it up online as a unity webplayer app for people to poke at.

The visual look of the game is being worked on by Ledi who may have more to add on that herself at some point.

Programmer
Binary Sprite
www.binarysprite.net
dumbmanex
Level 1

Stay out of the water!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:57:40 PM »

I like the sound of it, had a similar game in mind years ago.  Make it well!  A.I. terrifies the hell out of me too, mine always ends up being state machines with extra objects to help with path finding.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic