Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:06:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)Tetris Fight Club [FINISHED-ish]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tetris Fight Club [FINISHED-ish]  (Read 14495 times)
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »

Tetris Fight Club

Play online (Flash):
Updated build with music
As submitted to Versus competition

Started for MiniLD 24, theme "Tetris is now a <genre other than puzzle> game!".

Thanks to Sos for motivating me to start it and to everyone who playtested it.

Original post:

Not very happy with the jump attack for a few reasons including that if both players try to jump at the same time that is more than 3 keys pressed at once. But not sure what to do about that.

Have only managed to play one game with another human (embarrassingly, he wiped the floor with me) so reports of trying it out with two people would be really helpful.

Better name suggestions welcomed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 03:26:02 PM by Draknek » Logged

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 08:29:40 PM »

Try mapping player 2 controls to the arrow keys, that way you can get around the generic 3 key limit for keyboards.

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:25:23 AM »

I was under the impression that the arrow keys were also affected by that issue.

Wondering if any musicians want to make a mashup of the Mortal Kombat theme and Tetris music.

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 05:44:07 PM »

Updated: both players now start with 10 lives and the round finishes when one player runs out.

Also added a sort of introduction.

Wanted to get differently shaped blocks done tonight, but didn't have enough time.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:01:42 PM by Draknek » Logged

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »

Updated again. People were having issues with keys interfering with each other when one player charged up a jump so I've moved to a three-button system.

Don't think I like this new control scheme much, but can't see much of an alternative. Sad

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:42:05 PM »

This was a fun little game. I played it with my brother and we had a good time. The jump felt a bit underused, though, since it takes just long enough to charge that you're already dead, unless it's the first thing you do - are there any techniques that make better use of it?
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 02:35:15 AM »

Not that I'm really aware of, however I've found when someone starts charging the jump when I'm not expecting it, I often don't have time to react. So it's a risky strategy but it can sometimes pay off even at short ranges.

I am not opposed to replacing the jump behaviour but currently don't have any alternatives in mind. It needs to have a long charge-up time because it gets past blocks.

Glad you had fun!

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 05:51:42 PM »

Working on some AI:

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 12:41:13 AM »

I love how slamming them into the wall removes a line.

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »

You can now fight the AI yourself: I would appreciate feedback on the difficulty.

sepharoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:31 PM »

You can now fight the AI yourself: I would appreciate feedback on the difficulty.
I BEAT IT Epileptic
difficulty was ridiculous, it took a very long time to get a hang of the metagame before i beat him. It would be very very good to put in a flash or something right as the jump starts charging so it's more obvious, otherwise it's really the problem.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 12:15:44 PM »

Yeah that's super hard. Won a couple of rounds out of about 10. I think it's probably just too aggressive, for beginners at least. And when it does defend it immediately capitalises when you attack it and bounce off, which seems like a pretty advanced tactic?

Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 05:41:50 AM »

New version!

Changed the jump mechanic completely, now there's no more charge jump, jump still beats block but attack beats jump. I would really appreciate feedback on this change, especially two-player feedback if you can grab a friend.

AI difficulty noted: this has a new AI which is hopefully better? Though probably still quite hard... The old version still has the old AI.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:50:31 AM by Draknek » Logged

Reiss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 01:45:44 AM »

Whoa, the AI is still pretty hard. It's a cool concept, though. The jump could use a little explaining -- I kept trying to tap it and then press attack, fighting-game style.

Do the different blocks shapes affect the game much, or is it all visual?

EDIT: actually, I think I'm getting the hang of this. Different AI levels could be helpful, even if they're "fake" -- as in, just weakening the strength of their attacks. It seems like it's at a good place for someone who's played a couple of rounds, but it's definitely pretty tough for those first few tries.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 02:50:32 AM »

God that AI is pretty hard.

So if I figured this out right, attack beats jump, jump beats block, block beats attack?

It's pretty fun Smiley

LOLZ at RPGMaker sound effect Tongue

Good job. Loved being able to select and turn my piece, and how winning a round makes a coloumn disappear.
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »

So the version as of now is the official competition build, I might try sneaking in a couple more small changes though.

The jump could use a little explaining -- I kept trying to tap it and then press attack, fighting-game style.
Hmm, noted.

Do the different blocks shapes affect the game much, or is it all visual?
It's just visual at the moment, I wanted to add different movement characteristics but I only just had time to add the different shapes, let alone making them distinct.

Different AI levels could be helpful, even if they're "fake" -- as in, just weakening the strength of their attacks.
Hmm, physically weaker AI is probably a sensible suggestion but from an implementation perspective it's unlikely to happen (AIs are treated as just another source of key input).

So if I figured this out right, attack beats jump, jump beats block, block beats attack?
That's correct.

LOLZ at RPGMaker sound effect Tongue
Which sound effect is that? I think I got the sound effects from freesound.org.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »

Increpare, Terry Cavanagh, Sophie H and I tried this game for a while.

- Rock Paper Scissors mechanic works great, especially with the timing and responses.
- Tetris theme underutilised
- Lots of fun, especially when trying to guess the opponents next move. Well balanced. Nicely timed matches.
- would love to see more player feedback

twitter: @docky
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2011, 03:16:45 AM »

You are doing a great thing with all these reviews. Smiley

would love to see more player feedback
Not sure what kind of player feedback you mean?

Paul Forey has made an excellent Mortal Kombat/Tetris mashup song, will be adding an updated version later today with that included.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2011, 06:17:37 AM »

'Successful block' feedback animation and sound, for example. Obviously the animation reflects that, by the fact that you weren't knocked back, but the player ought to feel like they succeeded rather than didn't fail. Similarly with the knock back, it's vivid but might be nice if the failing player was clearer that they were the one that messed up.

twitter: @docky
Draknek
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »

There is already a different sound for successful blocking. Not sure what I could add to make it more obvious. I also don't have any ideas I like for how to integrate the Tetris theme into it more.

New! I have uploaded a new version with music from Paul Forey. Playable here.

That also fixes a bug where by default the AI was using the wrong AI controller. Oops...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic