Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:53:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshop8x8 Egyptian themed tileset
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 8x8 Egyptian themed tileset  (Read 8598 times)
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »

these are for an assemblee inspired game-jammy thing - a group of 7-10 people will take these tiles and each make a game out of them in a week. the prospect of having people actually use my pixel art is a little nerve wracking, so I'd really like them to be as good as they can be.

so I'm looking for anything that's missing/ needs to be taken out or just redone. be harsh, I can take it  Cool
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »

A period or comma to your punctuation. Probably an apostrophe, too. Other than that, it looks pretty ace.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

Also, does your adventurer travel in 4 directions, or just two? Huh?

Nix
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:53 PM »

How about death sprites for the characters? And maybe a few more items?
It looks super nice as it is though. The style is great. I would love to see a mockup of how these might look in action.
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »

^^yea, I can't wait to see the games made from this, i'll suggest that people post them, but it's actually for a college class, so I don't know if there's any issues there

ah! thank you, I can't believe I forgot punctuation and death animations. also going to add in the forward/backward for the adventurer type - it's mostly designed for side-scrolling, but I wanted to leave the option for top down open.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:38:15 PM »

Well, given that the bigger sprites had up/down walkcycles, and that you included staircase tiles (what would those be doing in a platformer, anyways?), I thought that potential was implied already. A couple of other minor enemy types (8x8s) would help flesh out the potential, too; at least a couple of crawlers and/or flyers. Maybe even a player-sized antagonist and/or rival, too.

Nix
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 12:11:53 PM »

How about side-view staircases? All I see are the top-view ones, but it might be nice to be able to have staircases in a platformer as well.
Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »

thanks for the ideas guys here's the updated work
(click for larger)
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

Your colors are too bright in my opinion. Desaturating and shifting hue's will make this so much better. I also think you should use the black (background color) in your tiles to give them more depth.

I redesigned some of your tiles and a character to show you what could be changed or added to make make this as good as possible.

1 or 2 dark colors on black make great background objects.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 10:44:15 AM by green » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »

Yes, I would edit it that explorer character *in addition to, not replacement of* the current, shorter one (it opens up a grip of potential, actually). About the only thing that I would change in the updated version is alternating the hand or foot position in the up/down moving frames. The hand should be logically opposite of the stepping foot when walking. (You step forward with your left foot, your right arm swings forward, and vice versa.)

Katamaran
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »

more great comments :D it looks like the assignment is going to be handed out tomorrow, so I don't have a lot of time to add/tweak things

I love the larger 'adventurer' character and if I have some time ill try and add something like him. As for adding in more black, I totally agree but I wanted to leave open the option for using the tiles with a background that was something other than black. it might turn out to be kind of a mash, but we will see Smiley
I did add an option to use more desaturated versions of the tiles in, depending on the preference of the teacher/students, and I LOVED your column, but wasn't able to do it justice in 'one block' format. it occurs to me now that I could split it between tiles lengthwise :x

also, I added a frame of animation to the walk cycle for the correct hand movement. I had originally intended to make it so that frame could be doubled for both paths of the leg, but with the movement of the hand that actually didn't work as well :x

again, thanks for the great comments guys/girls here's the link to what will probably be the final version of this:
http://imgur.com/a/oi00F#dnBS2
I also added in some fairly uninspired mock-up images
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:29 AM »

I forgot to tell you I really like the idea and style you're going for with these tiles.

Anyways, I did another quick redo of one of your "mockups" to show you how far well picked colors will get you.

edit1: Feel free to use my sprites for colors/edits or anything alike.
edit2: tiny adventurer
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:54:53 PM by green » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic