Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:17:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopSimple character concept feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Simple character concept feedback  (Read 2889 times)
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2011, 02:29:53 PM »

Hey guys, I'm developing a physics creation game (somewhat old gameplay trailer here:

).  Basically you have to get a red goal cube to the goal area by building some kind of machine. 

Right now I'm working on story and art:
- The game takes place in the Platonic World of the Forms
- Each day you (the red goal cube) have to get home (the goal area) from school. 
- Although not shown in the video, along the way you can optionally pick up three friends as a sort of bonus (named Plator, Socrata, and Aristoly (heh...eh)).

I'm not a skilled artist, but I want to concept out the look of Creo, the main dude, and his three friends.  Here's a sheet of concepts, I'm wondering if you can tell me who you think should be creo, and who should be his three friends:

Any other feedback is welcome too (i.e. "characters should have bigger muscles and more guns").

Thanks!

Made Cannon Brawl - Worked on ABZÛ - Now making Kingdoms And Castles
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

2 and 5 remind me too much of katamari. And I'd do something like 1/6, 8 and 7 for the three friends. Variation is key here. There's nothing that strikes me as protagonist material though.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 10:22:17 AM by green » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »

Creo should be that blank, numberless one in the middle. 1-4-7-9 all have good sidekick potential about them, and 3-6-8 have a nice contrasting "rival" appearance about them; I could see 3 in particular leading them. The only one really out of place is #2; because I look at that and think "infant," not old enough to pull off a "school" vibe.

Is this their whole body, or just their faces?

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:50 AM »

2 and 5 remind me too much of katamari. And I'd do something like 1,6 and 7 for the three friends. Variation is key here. There's nothing that strikes me as protagonist material though.
Thanks, for the feedback, one of my friends said almost the exact same thing!  I'm working on making the friends into models now, and I'll probably concept some more for the main guy.

Creo should be that blank, numberless one in the middle. 1-4-7-9 all have good sidekick potential about them...

Is this their whole body, or just their faces?
Yeah, the middle one is my vote for Creo too, but I'll probably tweak things a little more first.  And these are essentially their whole body, I don't have the skill/time/resources to animate these guys, so I don't want to suggest any part of them could be articulated.

And based on everyone's feedback, I've taken a first pass on making number 6 as friend in the game.  Here's what he looks like (I'm probably going to make him squatter, and clean up the lines):

caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:14:10 PM »

I like the look so far.

I did this quick sketch to illustrate a way to get rid of that katamari vibe that was going on with number 5.
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »

Green, that is awesome!  So awesome, I modeled him and put him in the game:

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:25:50 PM »

I like 4 for socrata (looks like a she, maybe?), and either 1 or 3 for the other sidekick. The premise and art for this game look absolutely adorable. Are you hoping to maybe make a kid's game? Smiley

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:11:36 AM »

I like the designs with one eye personally. It's got a lot of charm and looks pretty unique. The big eye makes him look pretty memorable.

Perhaps the three friends could have different shapes instead of just different faces. So there's a square, a rectangle, a triangle, a circle... maybe even a hexagon or a star. I could see that being pretty cute Smiley

Loving the models so far! The trailer looked really fun too.

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:12 AM »

Thanks for the feedback guys!  An artist friend made 3d model first passes on all Creo and his friends, but I want to tweak/iterate on them before I show them (they look a little too similar right now).  I'll post soon when I have them ready!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic