Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:50:14 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessESRB Ratings
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ESRB Ratings  (Read 1854 times)
Nix
« on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:48 PM »

How do you get them? How expensive is it?
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:20:06 AM »

I heard that it depends on the cost of developing the game. If it was below USD$250000, then it would be something around USD$2500 for a rating. Some more, uncensored research may be necessary.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:10 AM »

Is it required when you sell your game:

1. On PC, via your website
 2. via distributors like Steam

Because I don't remember any ESRB thing on some indie games I bought online...

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 06:27:20 AM »

It's pretty much necessary for console sales, as is the policy of all three console companies. He's probably asking because he has something he wants to make for the Xbox Live Indie Games.
nicolasgb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 06:59:55 AM »

Don't know about the cost. You can get in touch with ESRB thru their website https://www.esrb.org

They will ask you to mail them a disk with playable build of your game along with other material. You may need to send walkthrough footage of your game, which can be a pain to record sometimes.
If you are aiming at a "E for everyone" rating, be very careful about the content of your game as they won't let anything slide. For instance, I produced a PS3 game where we had to remove a single instance of a glass of wine to avoid getting an "alcohol" mention next to the ESRB label.

It can take a few weeks too so make sure you plan accordingly.

Follow me on  twitter
Nix
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:07:26 PM »

It's pretty much necessary for console sales, as is the policy of all three console companies. He's probably asking because he has something he wants to make for the Xbox Live Indie Games.

We are making a game for XBLIG as a matter of fact. I'm not sure that XBLIG requires ESRB ratings though (I'm pretty sure it doesn't). The reason I ask is because we are also aiming for a parallel PC release, and it would be pretty neat to have that ESRB badge as a confirmation of our efforts. We'll have to wait and see though.
eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

xblig does not require a esrb rating, when you start up a xblig there is a splash screen that says "this game is not rated by a ratings board blablabla." xblig uses peer review system and rates on: violence, sex, language

eva
BANNED
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »

theres some indie devs that use this as an alternative: http://www.tigrs.org/

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:12:02 PM »

I don't think Steam requires you to have an ESRB rating. I remember reading something about developers needing ESRB ratings for their games if they were going to put them on Steam, but i'm almost certain that was only in Korea.

Edit:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103254-South-Korea-Targeting-Steam-Over-Ratings-Dispute
also
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=149943

SaturnineGames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:35 PM »

Joining ESRB is easy. You just have to mail them a short letter letter on company letterhead. There's no cost involved.

For games with a development cost under $250,000, the fee is $800.

You don't send a playable copy, just video. You're supposed to show any "pertinent content" in it. Basically just make sure to include anything you think might influence the rating.

If you don't need an ESRB rating, I'd recommend avoiding one. If you get one, you have to abide by all of ESRB's regulations. You're also opening yourself up to fines for violating them.

Also, I have no idea how the ESRB, Microsoft, or the general XBLIG peer review community would react to a rating. XBLIG is plastered with warnings that the games aren't rated. MS or ESRB might object to having the "this game is not rated" warnings all over a game that is rated.

Facebook
Twitter: @SaturnineGames
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic