Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:10:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationThe Germinator [v0-3] [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: The Germinator [v0-3] [Finished]  (Read 51609 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 08:15:17 AM »

I'm gonna keep trying, I'll let you know if I still can't.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »

Thanks Melly.  Can anyone else confirm if this is a problem before I call it a day?

I might need to buy more hosting space.  Also if someone has some server space where I could upload a perl script with hi-scores, that would be cool...

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2008, 09:03:13 AM »

Still no luck. Sad It could be my connection.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »

That's really weird ... it works on two machines here.  Can anyone else confirm the link's broken?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 11:07:58 AM by superflat » Logged

Checker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »

Link works here, and yes i had the free Visual C studio installed.

High score is pretty low so far I think, I will make screenshots when I try again.. Smiley

Edit: Oh man, i only got up to  420k score, you got about a million more Smiley
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 01:00:55 PM by Checker » Logged
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »

Maybe I'm somehow blocked from seeing your server.

Would it be too much to ask for a mirror? You can just ignore me if you can't bother with it.

Sar
Level 3

Likes Violins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2008, 01:08:02 PM »

Would it be too much to ask for a mirror?

I've not had time to try it myself yet, but I could download. I took the liberty of uploading it to my own space here, maybe that'll fare better? I can take it down again, of course, if superflat doesn't approve.

Currently working on: Chronicle of Mars
Previous Projects: [Käfer|Tristan and Iseult(TIGS)]
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »

Would it be too much to ask for a mirror?

I've not had time to try it myself yet, but I could download. I took the liberty of uploading it to my own space here, maybe that'll fare better? I can take it down again, of course, if superflat doesn't approve.

I love you Kiss

EDIT: Well damnit, I'm finally able to download it but can't start it. Gives me an error message. Sad

EDIT2: Oh, right, forgot about the Redistributable.

EDIT3: Aaaaand, still doesn't work. Gives me this: "OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): 'resources.cfg' file not found! in ConfigFile::load at ..\src\OgreConfigFile.cpp (line 84)"
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 04:13:08 PM by Melly » Logged

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:24 AM »

@ Melly, sorry you're having such grief with my game mate!

Did you try launching the application itself (in bin/release), rather than the shortcut?  It's looking for resources.cfg, which is in that directory, and that's the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work.

@sar

Thanks for mirroring it, anyone is welcome to!

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »

@ Melly, sorry you're having such grief with my game mate!

Did you try launching the application itself (in bin/release), rather than the shortcut?  It's looking for resources.cfg, which is in that directory, and that's the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work.

I can't find any bin/release folder on the game folder.

EDIT: Oops, sorry, looking at the wrong game folder. Embarrassed

EDIT 2: WEll, no luck, my video card doesn't support your game. Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:18:43 AM by Melly » Logged

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2008, 08:21:37 AM »

Oh what a palava!  Yes, I should mention your card must support shaders (model 2.0 or above I believe) - or it won't cel-shade!

So so far only Checker's played it huh?

[edit:  It gets loads more exciting after the first level or two! Even if you gave it a go but didn't like it, I'd love to know...]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:44:00 AM by superflat » Logged

medieval
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »

I.

hate.

my.

pc.

Cry

My graphics card kinda doesn't support it
Zaphos
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 09:32:17 AM »

It worked for me.  It has a nice style, but it's hard to figure out whether an enemy is directly in front of my ship or not.  Because I'm constantly trying to do that perspective adjustment, I never really felt drawn in to the game.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »

The game was all-white when trying to run DirectX, so I had to do the OpenGL option to get it to run. (Error log from first attempt).

Very cool idea, and the music sounds very Rez-like. The game worked well enough, and the color-switching was very intuitive.

However, like Zaphos, I had a crazy hard time with depth perception. I had almost no intuitive sense of how far away the enemies were, or when bullets were just about to hit my craft, even surviving to the third level. (No bosses for the first level is a tease enough, but the second too?) You'll have to ask someone with more experience in 3d design for tips I guess. (More pronounced shadows/lighting? layered aiming reticule?)

Oh, and is the beginning screen and all the transitions supposed to be this really pixellated black/yellow diagonal striped image?

Edit: Played it again through level 4-2. (Still with the boss teasing?)

I'm thinking that making the far end of the tunnel shadowy could help a lot with depth perception. Like, maybe give far-away objects a slightly darker shade while close-up enemies would eventually have the same shade as you. It sometimes feels like the fast shooting speed is an attempt to address this issue without looking at the cause: try shooting one bullet at a time to test this issue. An aiming reticule might help as well.

Might also help to make the bullets stand out more (light flashing?), since shooting red enemies with red bullets with a red ship and a red enemy bullet sometimes gets hard to parse if the angle is shallow enough.

Oh, and the collision boxes feel like they're larger than the actual objects, although I'm not sure whether that's solely from the depth perception or not.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:26:28 AM by Noyb » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

Seems nice, but I'm having a tough time trying to aim. Could you add a cross hair or something like that?

Very pretty game, too. Smiley
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »

Crash on startup.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »

I get the white screen when trying to run DX, but GL kinda works - I get the pixellated yellow title screen, and then the game, but my ship and all the enemies are black!  Cry

gfx card is a Radeon X850, which I thought would be good enough. I have latest DX9c too... Maybe I need new drivers...

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »

Thanks for checking out my effort everyone, it means a lot to me.

I've just uploaded a version with a reticule / cross-hair, and it plays much better, thanks guys!

I've also adjusted the field of view and baddie approach speed.

The pixellated yellow'n'black thing's an OpenGL issue, I'm looking at it now.  It should be a white-out (and is on Direct X... hmmm).

The main thing I hoped to get in before the deadline was the boss, a Space Harrier-style worm-dragon.  I just collapsed with chronic back-pain trying to get it done on time, so I don't feel so bad about adding him in in the next day or so.  So please watch this space!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:46:49 PM by superflat » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 03:31:54 PM »

I gotta check this out tomorrow, dude. So tired, but looking forward to it.

[edit] Cool stuff!

As self appointed 3D reticule expert, I'd say you need to tween the crosshair depth between its current position and a target's position (so that it snaps less).

Or if you want to be really fancy, you generate a plane based on the three closest enemies to the crosshair, and project your line of fire onto that plane to give you your crosshair position - that gives you a "free" blend when navigating between enemies.

I wasn't sure how to get the colors shooting to work. Guess I should just read the docs, right?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:25:30 AM by Bezzy » Logged

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2008, 03:33:50 AM »

Hi Bezzy - use Z,X & C to switch colour / fire (then you can continue firing with the LMB).

I've put in your suggestion about the reticule.  It moves into position now, except when you're bang-on for half a second and then it locks.  Download again if you like!

Could the people with problems with DirectX please send me your Ogre.log files (if it froze on a white screen)?  You can find it in the ./bin/release/ directory.  Thanks!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic